Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free CashFlow calculations

• 04-11-2018 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Just trying to understand free cash flow calculations.

I understand its cash flows from operating activities less capital expenditure, but do you also include / deduct cash flows from investing and financing activities.

Also, do you stop calculating free cash flow before you factor in adding or deducting cash and cash equivalents at the beginning of the year.

For instance, after operating expenses less investing and financing my cash flow is negative, is this my FCF or do i have to factor in cash at beginning of the year to get FCF.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Hi all.

Just trying to understand free cash flow calculations.

I understand its cash flows from operating activities less capital expenditure, but do you also include / deduct cash flows from investing and financing activities.

Also, do you stop calculating free cash flow before you factor in adding or deducting cash and cash equivalents at the beginning of the year.

For instance, after operating expenses less investing and financing my cash flow is negative, is this my FCF or do i have to factor in cash at beginning of the year to get FCF.

'It depends' what you are trying to analyse.

Free Cash Flow is metric used to assess the cash flow generated from purely operating the business.

There are other metrics such as free cash flow to the firm which is a metric used to assess what level of cash can be distributed to Shareholders after all obligations to the business are made.

You need to understand the concept of 'enterprise value' before you look at the cash flow statement

Advertisement