Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bradley hitch / brakes on a trailer

• 04-11-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey , just bought a trailer 2nd hand and the hand brake lever is very hard to use, the spring seems very tight or something.
    Also which way is the lever when brakes applied the brake away cable is in the most forward position when the lever is pushed towards the towing vehicle and the threaded bar tightens up

This brings me to believe the brakes are engaged when in the forward position.
    Also where would I get new brake shoes as on one side they were removed.
    Also need new cable as the old ones were cut.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blackbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

What type of trailer is it? From your description it sounds like it has a Bradley Hydratow hitch. It also sounds like it needs a lot of work. For me the best option would be to give it to a servicing garage for the amount needed. but you can get all the parts in a few places, mostly engineering suppliers and the like. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

TrailerBob wrote: »
    What type of trailer is it? From your description it sounds like it has a Bradley Hydratow hitch. It also sounds like it needs a lot of work. For me the best option would be to give it to a servicing garage for the amount needed. but you can get all the parts in a few places, mostly engineering suppliers and the like. Where are you based?

Thanks for your reply. I'm based in connaght and would like to do the work myself to save a few bob , I'd be able to do this if I had the parts . It's a bradley hydratow hu12 hitch and the brakes have bradley doublelock stamped onto the drums. If there was anywhere good to get parts I'd appreciate it. Also the hand brake is very strong and would take the hand off you when releasing it . Is there anyway to adjust the spring or anything like that . Thanks again

blackbox wrote: »

Thanks checked out this website and i think I will get the brake shoes there .thanks again

A Genfitt dealer would be able to supply parts, so any decent machinery supplier could get them. The Hydratow is a decent hitch, and a simple design.
    The brakes will be engaged when the handbrake lever is lifted. Likewise when the drawtube is compressed, it acts on a swivel to do the same thing. This rotates the brake unit down and underneath the hitch unit, pulling the threaded bar tight. Check for any deformation of the castings here, as this will affect the engagement point of the brakes.

I'd also check for play in the drawtube, as well as hitch head wear.

• Advertisement

A Genfitt dealer would be able to supply parts, so any decent machinery supplier could get them. The Hydratow is a decent hitch, and a simple design.
    The brakes will be engaged when the handbrake lever is lifted. Likewise when the drawtube is compressed, it acts on a swivel to do the same thing. This rotates the brake unit down and underneath the hitch unit, pulling the threaded bar tight. Check for any deformation of the castings here, as this will affect the engagement point of the brakes.

I'd also check for play in the drawtube, as well as hitch head wear.

Thanks will check tomorrow evening for wear and play. Any reason why the spring seems so tight as it's very strong to engage brake nearly need to put full body weight on it and hope it doesn't spring back.
    Will get in contact with genfitt at weekend see what they have . Thanks again

The preloaded spring unit might be kaput. The long rectangular unit that rotates slightly. My only thought is with the time and cost of parts, maybe a replacement might be worth a look. I know you said you're trying to keep the spend down. €300 ish for a complete coupling sounds a lot, but if you got a new damper and a spring preloader, you're a lot of the way there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

Joe390 wrote: »

Thanks will check tomorrow evening for wear and play. Any reason why the spring seems so tight as it's very strong to engage brake nearly need to put full body weight on it and hope it doesn't spring back.
    Will get in contact with genfitt at weekend see what they have . Thanks again

It's fairly normal they are all that way, it's sort of an over centre setup the handbrake lever, the one spring in the tube is used to hold the handbrake off when it's down and hold it on when it's pulled up. You need to lift it up/push it down with force to apply or release it, against the tension of the spring.
    The breakaway cord just pulls on the bottom of the lever yanking the handbrake on, should the hitch become detached from the vehicle.

Byrne trailers in Wexford can supply parts, have also got parts from A&M Trailers in Armagh, good guys to deal with. AL-KO and Knott are the 2 most popular brake manufacturers for axles of this size of trailer, you'd need to know exactly what drum size and brake shoe size you need before ordering.
    Cables come in different lengths also so check you get the right length with the right ends and holders where it enters the drum backing plate.
    If in doubt, post up some pictures of the hubs or with hubs removed, might make it easier to identify what you need.

Also there is a damper (gas strut) inside the main part of the hitch itself, if it's gone it will feel like the trailer is going to pull the hitch off your car when taking off or slowing down. They're around €50 or £30stg, might need to look at changing it too.
    Is it an Ifor Williams or something else?

HTH.

It's fairly normal they are all that way, it's sort of an over centre setup the handbrake lever, the one spring in the tube is used to hold the handbrake off when it's down and hold it on when it's pulled up. You need to lift it up/push it down with force to apply or release it, against the tension of the spring.
    The breakaway cord just pulls on the bottom of the lever yanking the handbrake on, should the hitch become detached from the vehicle.

Byrne trailers in Wexford can supply parts, have also got parts from A&M Trailers in Armagh, good guys to deal with. AL-KO and Knott are the 2 most popular brake manufacturers for axles of this size of trailer, you'd need to know exactly what drum size and brake shoe size you need before ordering.
    Cables come in different lengths also so check you get the right length with the right ends and holders where it enters the drum backing plate.
    If in doubt, post up some pictures of the hubs or with hubs removed, might make it easier to identify what you need.

Also there is a damper (gas strut) inside the main part of the hitch itself, if it's gone it will feel like the trailer is going to pull the hitch off your car when taking off or slowing down. They're around €50 or £30stg, might need to look at changing it too.
    Is it an Ifor Williams or something else?

HTH.
    Thanks for your reply. It's not an iforwilliams a local plant hire place made it for there own use and sold it to a builder who I bought it off. It's a 3 ton plant trailer.( It's in good condition only that the builder cut the cables instead of fixing the brakes .) Think the damper is good as it is easily pulled and doesn't jerk back or forward when braking and taking off . . The handle may be normal with that strength so as after operating it a few times it seems to be loosening up a little . Musnt have be used in a while , getting better now. Will try pull the cables off tomorrow and measure . Will post pictures up here so ye might be able to find a place to get them and what type ends are on them . Will also measure shoes .
    The drums have BRADLEY DOUBLELOCK TYPE 200 stamped into them. I will try attach a picture. Thanks again for your help. :-)

The preloaded spring unit might be kaput. The long rectangular unit that rotates slightly. My only thought is with the time and cost of parts, maybe a replacement might be worth a look. I know you said you're trying to keep the spend down. €300 ish for a complete coupling sounds a lot, but if you got a new damper and a spring preloader, you're a lot of the way there.
    Thanks for your reply.
    It seems to be loosening up now After a few times operating it . Damper is good I think . Hitch has minimal wear and is in good nick only missing the rubber on the sliding part of the hitch.
    Thanks again .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I know more or less nothing about trailers & hitches, but I do know that Bradley Doublelock became AL-KO Kober in the past couple of years, as they are one of my customers, so it's probably a good place to start if you need replacement bits:

AL-KO KOBER Limited
    Unit 15 Blyry Business & Commercial Park,
    Athlone,
    Co Westmeath,
    Ireland.

Tel:+353 (0) 9064 86849

R.O.R wrote: »
    I know more or less nothing about trailers & hitches, but I do know that Bradley Doublelock became AL-KO Kober in the past couple of years, as they are one of my customers, so it's probably a good place to start if you need replacement bits:

AL-KO KOBER Limited
    Unit 15 Blyry Business & Commercial Park,
    Athlone,
    Co Westmeath,
    Ireland.

Tel:+353 (0) 9064 86849
    Thanks. Going to try genfitt tomorrow. Will report back to keep ye updated . Thanks again

Yes got the cables and brake pads . Genfitt were grate had the parts there and no hassle atall. Will be fitting the pads and cables soon.
    Thanks again for the help.

Just a quick update . Cables and shoes fitted and after adjustment the brakes work grate. Handbrake is no longer so hard to move and everything seems to be working grate so far. THanks again for all the help.

Advertisement