Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 bmw 318i - automatic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Those petrol engines can give their fair share of problems, injectors can be troublesome, ignition coil packs constantly fail on them and timing chains have been known to stretch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those petrol engines can give their fair share of problems, injectors can be troublesome, ignition coil packs constantly fail on them and timing chains have been known to stretch.

Thanks. Oh god, no - nottining chain too, thought that was only diesels.

The injector and ignition coil stuff, is this only a very small minority ?

BMW had terrible hassle when they switched to those Efficient Dynamic petrol engines from late 2007. Coil packs are not that expensive but they go through them frequently enough. Injectors can be expensive to replace.

My money would be on something like this instead but the tax is bit of a killer:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-2008-automatic-is250-nct-11-19/20008268

BMW had terrible hassle when they switched to those Efficient Dynamic petrol engines from late 2007. Coil packs are not that expensive but they go through them frequently enough. Injectors can be expensive to replace.

My money would be on something like this instead but the tax is bit of a killer:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-is-2008-automatic-is250-nct-11-19/20008268

Thanks.
    Tax is a bl00dy killer alright.
    Any other ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Be very careful with the Vanos intake. Always tends to go awry on this year BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Are these petrol Saab’s reliable?

I believe they're fine from about 2005-2006 onwards. Earlier engines were notorious for oil sludge.

I believe they're fine from about 2005-2006 onwards. Earlier engines were notorious for oil sludge.

Thanks. 175 bhp is nice. They look nice too IMHO.

But feck all of them around.

Any idea what they are like on fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭trixiebust

I bought an 09 318i petrol not so long ago. I've had nothing but trouble with it since buying it.

Honestly, look elsewhere if you're after a petrol for that money. There's a reason those beemers don't hold their resale value.

• Advertisement

trixiebust wrote: »
    I bought an 09 318i petrol not so long ago. I've had nothing but trouble with it since buying it.

Honestly, look elsewhere if you're after a petrol for that money. There's a reason those beemers don't hold their resale value.

Thanks. Good to have some real world experience.
    Sorry to hear of your troubles.

No problem. Just Google the N47 engine & you'll get your answer.

Good few of them on Done deal, a lot of them still left from when I was looking.

N47 was the diesel engine. Petrol engine would have been the N43. :)

Thanks.

Are people sure they are talking about the right car here?

I.e. the petrol.

Timing chain failure is well documented on the BMW diesel engines but the petrol engine in that 318i is know for it too but to a lesser extent. The cause is different on both engines.

Timing chain failure is well documented on the BMW diesel engines but the petrol engine in that 318i is know for it too but to a lesser extent. The cause is different on both engines.

So sounds like a 2008 Saab 93 1.8t would be a better bet here , even though not even being made anymore.

Ah, shows how much I know:)

Seriously though, whatever that engine code is, they're a crap engine. Ignition coils, timing chain, Nox filters etc,etc. I'm talking from bitter experience here unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The auto was never as bad as the manual. Multiple issues with manual petrol 3 Series from around that time but much fewer issues with the auto.

No start stop on the auto as far as I can recall which seemed to be the cause on the manual.

R.O.R wrote: »
    The auto was never as bad as the manual. Multiple issues with manual petrol 3 Series from around that time but much fewer issues with the auto.

No start stop on the auto as far as I can recall which seemed to be the cause on the manual.

Hmmmm, so the auto bmw 318’s from 2008 or so may be ok?

I am purely looking for an auto anyways, but these are the specifics I’m trying to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

• Advertisement

I'd doubt the OP wants to pay the €1500 in motor tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the leg rooms in those E90 for passengers looks like a joke, might not matter to you though Op...

any reason you like the bm? the below benz C class of interest? that model came out in 2007, just picked one out there as example...

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/c-class/used-2009-mercedes-benz-c-class-c-dublin-fpa-201810241782961

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the leg rooms in those E90 for passengers looks like a joke, might not matter to you though Op...

any reason you like the bm? the below benz C class of interest? that model came out in 2007, just picked one out there as example...

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/mercedes-benz/c-class/used-2009-mercedes-benz-c-class-c-dublin-fpa-201810241782961

But then do these Mercs have bloody timing chain issues.

My shortlist is as follows, all automatic and saloons.

2008 Mercedes C180
    2008 BMW 318i
    2008 Saab 93

There will be price differences.

Which of these is the most reliable?

Presume all around the same cost to run?

My shortlist is as follows, all automatic and saloons.

2008 Mercedes C180
    2008 BMW 318i
    2008 Saab 93

There will be price differences.

Which of these is the most reliable?

Presume all around the same cost to run?

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Those petrol c180's can give timing chain bother too and they also have a few other well known issues with the injection and ignition system. Not as bad as the bmw 318i's but get a lemon and it'll be pricey put right.

An auto is250 would be my choice for a stylish yet reliable petrol saloon. They're pretty cheap to buy so that kinda offsets the €1000pa tax. Not too bad on fuel either.

Those petrol c180's can give timing chain bother too and they also have a few other well known issues with the injection and ignition system. Not as bad as the bmw 318i's but get a lemon and it'll be pricey put right.

An auto is250 would be my choice for a stylish yet reliable petrol saloon. They're pretty cheap to buy so that kinda offsets the €1000pa tax. Not too bad on fuel either.

Thanks. Don’t want that tax thing every year.

So Merc and BMW can be troublesome........what about the Saab 9-3?

Big difference in price between these 2 Saab 93’s. Both 2008.

2850: https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20330559

4250: https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20109524

Big difference in price between these 2 Saab 93’s. Both 2008.

2850: https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20330559

4250: https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20109524

Any thoughts on the big price difference?

Do the 1.8 t’s come in 150 and 175 bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RobinPearson

Yes, 1.8t 110kW and 127kW engines.

Yes, 1.8t 110kW and 127kW engines.

Would the 127 normally be a bit more expensive?

In this case, it’s nearly twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Any idea what they [Saabs] are like on fuel?

Myself and my wife both have a 2008 Saab 93 1.8t (2 litre)!

They're lovely cars with a good bit of power. She gets 9 litres per 100kms and I get 11 litres per 100kms with a heavier right foot in city driving. We get 6.5 litres per 100kms on the motorway at 120km/ph.

There's a lot of them for sale closer to the 2k mark rather than 4k so shop around, 4k is too much for a 2008.

Go for the t if you can for the extra power. Better again go for an Aero model if you can find one.

I've 250,000 kms on mine and owned it for the last 5 years with never a days trouble.

Would be worth going for a test drive in one. Keep the gears low and the revs high to enjoy the turbo ;)

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Myself and my wife both have a 2008 Saab 93 1.8t (2 litre)!

They're lovely cars with a good bit of power. She gets 9 litres per 100kms and I get 11 litres per 100kms with a heavier right foot in city driving. We get 6.5 litres per 100kms on the motorway at 120km/ph.

There's a lot of them for sale closer to the 2k mark rather than 4k so shop around, 4k is too much for a 2008.

Go for the t if you can for the extra power. Better again go for an Aero model if you can find one.

I've 250,000 kms on mine and owned it for the last 5 years with never a days trouble.

Would be worth going for a test drive in one. Keep the gears low and the revs high to enjoy the turbo ;)

Excellent reply. Thanks a million. Great detailed information.

Serious advertisement there with 2 of them in the house !!

Does the ‘t’ mean 175 bhp versus the standard 150 bhp?

Are both your cars manual? (I’m looking at automatics only)

Sounds like you have had little issues, What are they like for obtaining parts/servicing ? (Based on the fact Saab not being made anymore etc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The t means it's got a turbo.

Excellent reply. Thanks a million. Great detailed information.

Serious advertisement there with 2 of them in the house !!

Does the ‘t’ mean 175 bhp versus the standard 150 bhp?

Are both your cars manual? (I’m looking at automatics only)

Sounds like you have had little issues, What are they like for obtaining parts/servicing ? (Based on the fact Saab not being made anymore etc)

Any thoughts

• Advertisement

What ye make of this Saab:

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/20330559

Anyone. Bump.