Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying in NI....VRT query

• 05-11-2018 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Recently posted about whether it would be better value to buy before or after the new year in terms of car prices and feedback I got was that prices wont change between December and January. My tactic has changed as I'm pretty sure I can get the car I want up north in a main dealer for far less than down here (regrettably). Basically by stretching my budget a bit, I could get a '18 cleared for about 36k with a higher spec than standard which would be less than you'd pay for a year older model down here.

I see there was a similar question recently on buying up north before or after the change in year but my angle is slightly different. My question is with regards to the VRT. Would there be any difference between clearing a car before the new year compared to after the new year when it is "a year old" rather than in the same year? The reason I ask is when I assume i'm paying now and put in the details for a feb 18 model, the VRT comes out about 7k. But when I make it a few months older, i.e. Nov. 17, it brings the VRT down by 1k. So i'm kind of thinking maybe the change in year that would come in January has an immediate affect for VRT calculations, event if that doesn't reflect reality on the forecourts to the same extent.

A reminder that I am working abroad but am home for a month from early dec to jan before returning abroad. I'm back again then at the end of jan and would have a 1 to 2 week window then to get a car before I return to work here at home. If I waited until I got home, i'd be under more pressure to buy and the risk is the right car might not be there but if it means saving a grand on VRT then maybe it would be worth it....

On a related question, should I expect a price change for the same car before and after the year change up north bearing in mind how they time the registration year is different....again wondering if better to keep the powder dry and hope they have what i'm looking for in January and reap the benefit of a price change for the same '18 car when the year changes....

Any thoughts guys??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Not sure here... i think you are been charged VRT based on the receipt from date of entry in the State.That is ferry or coming from Northern side,a motorway toll or petrol station receipt ?

So,if you can travel between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland (aka North and South) once every couple of weeks...or months, as you said you are involved with work...why bother with the registration here !?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I cant see any difference in the price of a car between Dec and Jan.Dealers will have there cars priced as low as there going to go in Dec to make way for new stock in Jan.Dont forget that there will be an extra 1% on vrt from Jan 1st brought in the last budget.So if you looking at buying a high value car thats a lot extra.

mgn wrote: »
    I cant see any difference in the price of a car between Dec and Jan.Dealers will have there cars priced as low as there going to go in Dec to make way for new stock in Jan.Dont forget that there will be an extra 1% on vrt from Jan 1st brought in the last budget.So if you looking at buying a high value car thats a lot extra.

Ouch, didn't pick up on that....that pushes me towards getting it cleared this side of Christmas so, assuming there's no difference on the value on which the VTR is based....

rolion wrote: »
    Not sure here... i think you are been charged VRT based on the receipt from date of entry in the State.That is ferry or coming from Northern side,a motorway toll or petrol station receipt ?

So,if you can travel between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland (aka North and South) once every couple of weeks...or months, as you said you are involved with work...why bother with the registration here !?

I think you misunderstood my situation....I'm working abroad in the Middle East so won't be travelling back and forth to the north....it's purely to pick up the car and get it cleared.....my question was whether the value on which the vrt is based is likely to be adjusted much for the change in year in January or does it take a bit of time as it would on the forecourts....

Thanks for reply all the sameðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just remember that if your buying a 2018 car that it needs to be 6 months or older plus have 6000km or more on the clock otherwise you will be liable for VAT as well as VRT on it here.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just remember that if your buying a 2018 car that it needs to be 6 months or older plus have 6000km or more on the clock otherwise you will be liable for VAT as well as VRT on it here.

Shouldn't be an issue with the cars I've seen in the garage I've touched base with...thanks for the heads up though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You would have to think the price for VRT would be lower as the car has crept in a year older bracket if you wait till January. I would hold until the new year if I was you. The reg changes in the UK at March and September so I think you may see some wriggle room especially with main car dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

I'm in a similar situation to you OP, - also looking in that price range, - hoping for a 181 or maybe even a 182 5 series or A6, and I'm inclined to sit until the new year. I'm pretty sure, playing with the VRT calculator that the VRT drops with the calendar year changeover. The 1% budget 2019 increase for Diesel, would be a few hundred euro so shouldn't hit that much really as compared to the VRT drop (about 1K as you say). Also, I'd be hoping dealer prices would be a bit softer in the new year coming up to the UK March plate change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would have to think the price for VRT would be lower as the car has crept in a year older bracket if you wait till January. I would hold until the new year if I was you. The reg changes in the UK at March and September so I think you may see some wriggle room especially with main car dealers.

Swings and roundabouts in my view. With Brexit pokeroo nearing stick or twist time for both sides there will no doubt have an impact on exchange rates. You cannot account for everything so what you could save on the price of the car could be taken away by strong sterling if a soft brexit is agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

bazz26 wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts in my view. With Brexit pokeroo nearing stick or twist time for both sides there will no doubt have an impact on exchange rates. You cannot account for everything so what you could save on the price of the car could be taken away by strong sterling if a soft brexit is agreed.

I can't see sterling getting strong with the mess it is now. If they have no deal by early December, sterling is going to get weaker.

There is a possibility of a second vote on it early next year as well with no deal

Advertisement