Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It'd be nice if the media coverage, the politicians and this thread moved on from the repetitive echo chamber this issue has become. Unless something happens in the meantime, we'll be reading the same things this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I live in a rural location, with a halting site within two miles of my home. The local school is also 2 miles to the halting site. There is a bus service each day bringing the children that 2 miles too school despite the parents having cars. There is also an after-school service. The services are provided it's the attendance that is the issue. The children when in school are reasonably ok with other children but more accute behaviourial issues. The school has a few SNA's to work with these kids but again it still comes down to attendence and the parents realising the importance of an education

Those services aren't available everywhere. I have seen relatively successful programs in the juvenile diversion program but i think that's probably a bit late to make the change that's needed. I believe there is a carrot and stick approach needed but I don't think simple policies like what you describe will work on their own.

What exactly makes the traveling community ethnically different!
    Is it their “culture” of allowing under age sex between cousins and being allowed marry below the age of consent?
    Some want access to education yet girls especially, are not encouraged past primary school.
    What about their work ethic?
    When did sulky racing become part of their culture?
    Many seem to want their lifestyle paid for by the taxpayer. This along with a few high profile violent burglaries is what gets under people’s skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is it their “culture” of allowing under age sex between cousins and being allowed marry below the age of consent?
    Some want access to education yet girls especially, are not encouraged past primary school.
    Many seem to want their lifestyle paid for by the taxpayer. This along with a few high profile violent burglaries is what gets under people’s skin.

Don't forget their ingrained misogyny, homophobia and racism.
    Progressive Ireland is falling over itself to protect travellers rights when travellers have no inclination to engage in a progressive society.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Don't forget their ingrained misogyny, homophobia and racism.
    Progressive Ireland is falling over itself to protect travellers rights when travellers have no inclination to engage in a progressive society.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thats the thing you keep claiming he made anti traveller remarks, he engaged in hate speech etc ad nauseum but when asked to back up your false claims your stock reply 'in my opinion ' you're entitled to your opinion just not your own makey uppy facts.

Not sure how many times I have to state this: He 'generalised' about a community, and told lies about that community in order to do what?

Why generalise or spread mis-information in an election? Why would you do that?
    You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out why somebody would do that.
    He could have made general remarks about the homelessness crisis and still have been on point and relevant.
    But he didn't, HE HIMSELF introduced one community into the conversation, told a lie about who 'they basically' were, completely mis-represented what SEMS is and stood back and watched his grenades go off.
    The young traveller lad was or is a student from UL good that he went on after secondary school, all over the place in his attempt to attack Casey. Really I'm sure they could have prepared better that includes Tubs not forgetting Jenny McGuire what the f**k was she thinking? lol.
    Anyway dude goodnight, I'm sure you'll be here tomorrow fighting the good fight till EOTR releaves you.

The reaction from the audience was at least 'genuine'. Why wouldn't that community (those trying to improve their lives) be angry?

What is wrong with you people and your empathy meters? You attack a community and you wonder why they are angry? Has Casey completely forgotten where he comes from and what happened there? The man is running around making ridiculous inferences about mass camps to corral or foribily assimilate this community and doesn't expect to be answerable?
    Thankfully there are only 10% of you, because if you think that opinion is going to be allowed to grow in a country that overwhelmingly elected the exact polar opposite of Casey you are completely deluded.

I notice you too have stooped to showing the weakness of your argument with the bot tag team inference. Very good, very revealing and pathetically sad that you have also decided to plumb the depths. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

If a vote for Peter Casey never did anything else, it was worth it just to piss off this ghoul.

https://twitter.com/philipoconnor/status/1058502710142689281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/galway-travellers-renew-campaign-to-build-bridges-1.3687204

And this is more of the poor us, why doesnt everyone like us drivel.

Sure didnt Michael D come down and open an exhibition and then scoot back to the Aras to his dogs as fast as he could.

This is the third article from the traveller viewpoint since Saturday in the Irish Times, all bemoaning how hard it is to have a special ethnic status and not one word from the travellers about the grief they are causing to fellow countrymen and women.

And then Peter Casey is treated with utter disdain by Tubridy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

What is wrong with you people and your empathy meters? You attack a community and you wonder why they are angry? Has Casey completely forgotten where he comes from and what happened there? The man is running around making ridiculous inferences about mass camps to corral or foribily assimilate this community and doesn't expect to be answerable? Thankfully there are only 10% of you, because if you think that opinion is going to be allowed to grow in a country that overwhelmingly elected the exact polar opposite of Casey you are completely deluded.

Your commentary us getting more shrill the longer you keep this up. I notice the language you are using is getting more insulting and emotive trying to illicit an actionable response methinks. On another thread you accuse Casey of hate mongering and claiming he wants to set up concentration camps. You really are becoming a laughing stock. As for the 10 per cent it's not, it's 23 per cent . Your voice only counts when you use it. You continually engage in that nasty behaviour you accuse without proof I may add the 23 per cent of engaging in.
    You really need to take a step back it's you is becoming pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The reaction from the cognoscenti.was at least 'genuine'. Why wouldn't that community (those trying to improve their lives) be angry?

What is wrong with you people and your empathy meters? You attack a community and you wonder why they are angry?
    :

This really is the nub of it.

If you (literally) attack a community, dont be surprised and outraged if that community gets angry, especially when the same community is expected to bankroll your antisocial behavoiur, and indulge your pi55taking.

You wonder why they are angry indeed.
    Why wouldnt they, they're trying to improve their lives.

• Advertisement

Your commentary us getting more shrill the longer you keep this up. I notice the language you are using is getting more insulting and emotive trying to illicit an actionable response methinks. On another thread you accuse Casey of hate mongering and claiming he wants to set up concentration camps. You really are becoming a laughing stock. As for the 10 per cent it's not, it's 23 per cent . Your voice only counts when you use it. You continually engage in that nasty behaviour you accuse without proof I may add the 23 per cent of engaging in.
    You really need to take a step back it's you is becoming pathetic.

I didn't say anything of the sort on 'another thread'. Which is of course why you didn't quote what I said isn't it? The Casey tactic, writ large - insinuate and infer, knowing full well that there is a percentage out there that understands your shorthand. So transparent.

I said he used the imagery of not just 'concentration camps' but internment and reservations. Here is exactly what I said:
    Of course this hate monger couldn't just say that out straight - he had to infer the implementation of some of history's worst excesses against different communities - internment camps - reservations - concentration camps etc.

23% of 46% of the electorate is approx 10%

300,000 of an eletorate of over 3,000,000 was 10% when I went to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ryan Tubridy is to interview Hazel Chu this morning on her fears for her child growing up in Ireland

She's getting good mileage out of her election tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Bridget Kelly from the Galway traveller group on newstalk just now foaming at the mouth, wanting the conversation on travelers shut down for good by bringing in hate speech legislation.

Obviously when pushed on any hard topic about her community its always the same old deflection and throwing it back onto the settle community. Essentially they want to be untouchable but not have to answer for their own crimes.

Net-net the relationship between settled and travelers probably wont get better.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy is to interview Hazel Chu this morning on her fears for her child growing up in Ireland

She's getting good mileage out of her election tweet

Thats good as it sows the discontent more, brings us more in line with American type of politics.

23% of 46% of the electorate is approx 10%

It's 23 per cent of those that excercised their right to vote. Others have claimed MDH won a landslide victory can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Tubs in fm104 sounding a bit deflated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

If this whole sorrowful train wreck has taught us anything it is the we need to change the law or the Constitution to make it a requirement that any person running running for public office in this state must have been tax resident in this state for at least 2 years prior to seeking election.
    That would help stem the flow of forigen imports like Casey stirring ****e for the craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

If there was the slightest acknowlegment from travellers about why people are afraid of them then those people who voted for Peter Casey might take some of what travellers have to say on board.

The Galway travellers linked in todays article had to have seen the footage of travellers brawling outside the Garda station. The most depressing thing abouut this footage was the young boy shouting his obese father on, what an example. Instead of seeing your father go out to work to support you, you see him behaving like a( insert your own description here). The younger children screaming in terror while their mother urges Pa to inflict serious harm is shocking too.

Not one word as I say from the women in the article, its no wonder most people wouldnt read articles like this, you might as well dig up articles written from the traveller viewpoint thirty years ago, it will be the same feeling sorry for themselves stuff and in thirty years time the story will be the same.

I didn't say anything of the sort on 'another thread'. Which is of course why you didn't quote what I said isn't it? The Casey tactic, writ large - insinuate and infer, knowing full well that there is a percentage out there that understands your shorthand. So transparent.

I don't quote from another thread as I'm on my mobile same as I don't engage in childish emojis for the same reason. As I said you are fast becoming a laughing stock .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

<snip, actually thats a bit too much .... (video of a traveller beating another traveller) its all over twitter I assume, nasty stuff...

lovely people

Just saw the video this morning

Two lads brazenly having a fight just outside a major Garda Station

A mother gets her son to video it whilst she goes and threatens the other mother

The son is delighted with his Dad fighting and that he won't back down to no one. Seems the culture has been passed onto this son anyway

whilst some other kids in the car are obviously distraught at the scene

Brenda Dennehy is a researcher for the Neil Prenderville show in Cork
    She has it up on her own Facebook

• Advertisement

It's 23 per cent of those that excercised their right to vote. Others have claimed MDH won a landslide victory can't have it both ways.

It's 23% of 46% of the electorate that turned out to elect a president.

MDH got 56% of 46% of the electorate. Which is a landslide in terms of those who turned out to VOTE FOR A PRESIDENT.

If you wish to claim that 23% of the electorate agree with Casey's views then you have to hold an election on those views before you can claim that.
    The question on the ballot paper was 'Who do you wish to represent you as President' NOT 'Do you agree with Peter Casey'.

DChancer wrote:
    If this whole sorrowful train wreck has taught us anything it is the we need to change the law or the Constitution to make it a requirement that any person running running for public office in this state must have been tax resident in this state for at least 2 years prior to seeking election. That would help stem the flow of forigen imports like Casey stirring ****e for the craic!

I see you have still not learned the requirements of a green card holder and dual taxation treaties. Casey is a foreign import? He's Irish and an Irish passport holder. You are becoming an even bigger laughing stock than the other lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

MDH got 56% of 46% of the electorate. Which is a landslide in terms of those who turned out to VOTE FOR A PRESIDENT.

If you wish to claim that 23% of the electorate agree with Casey's views then you have to hold an election on those views before you can claim that.

How hard is it to accept that Casey was expected to finish nowhere, got damn near a quarter of the vote and opened up discussion on an issue many "well meaning" people want silenced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Agreed. Its complete nonsense as usual.
    Higgins won 55% of the vote and Casey got 10%, talk about spin.....

Who knows how many more than 23% actually agree with his comments but preferred Higgins or one of the others to be president. Its a real pity we didnt get to see the prefs.

It's 23per cent that excercised their democratic right to vote twist it anyway you want but it's still 23 per cent. Pathetic on your behalf.

I don't quote from another thread as I'm on my mobile same as I don't engage in childish emojis for the same reason. As I said you are fast becoming a laughing stock .

That doesn't cover for mis-quoting what I said.
    You have tried them all in order to cover for the weakness of your position here:
    Tedious
    Laughing Stock
    Mis-Quoting
    Insinuation about being a bot along with others.

Anything else to deflect? :rolleyes:

If you wish to claim that 23% of the electorate agree with Casey's views then you have to hold an election on those views before you can claim that. The question on the ballot paper was 'Who do you wish to represent you as President' NOT 'Do you agree with Peter Casey'.

I don't claim anything other than 23per cent gave Casey their number 1 as for how transfer friendly he was I don't know as their was no second count as it was not necessary. As for agreeing with Peter Casey that has been covered repeatedly on these threads which you wilfully ignore. So I'm not going to engage in a pointless exercise with you.

For those that did vote, keep a close eye on your local TD's ect if they travelers get their way you wont be able to have conversations like this going forward.

KrustyUCC wrote:
    The son is delighted with his Dad fighting and that he won't back down to no one. Seems the culture has been passed onto this son anyway

"Gwan my daddy"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Calhoun wrote: »
    For those that did vote, keep a close eye on your local TD's ect if they travelers get their way you wont be able to have conversations like this going forward.

Among my local TDs is Charlie Flanagan, Biffo's brother and some SF knob.

Traveller crime is up - two young girls mugged at knifepoint just the other evening - assuming they get them, lovely suspended sentence coming up no doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement