Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Here is a perfect example of why I so vociferously object to Casey's style of doing politics.

Here is a UKIP MEP doing exactly what Casey did, he takes the truth and he twists it to unleash hate speech/toxic comment that is primarily useless to any democratic worthwhile outcomes.

https://twitter.com/DavidCoburnUKip/status/1059737048251359232

We should resist this type of politics at all costs.

Silly comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nullzero wrote: »
    There's a considerable difference between what's being said by that individual and what Casey said.
    Ukip are a bunch of xenophobic loonies for starters, anti Irish sentiment is still rife amongst certain demographics in England and this guy is playing to it.
    In fairness he got the bit about the banana republic right. Our shower of morons here are laughable ... over there their politicians are of a far higher standard and will actually take positions, unlike our shower of populist wasters here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Has the Irish fascist party led by Furher Casey begun its coup yet?

Sadly no, it Petered out due to lack of interest among the electorate barely 10% of whom were enthused enough to vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 69,186 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That is entirely different, stop talking crap. Casey wasn’t trying to be inflammatory, he was asked a question and replied with the answer that hundreds of thousands of us would have! I don’t understand the furore, the entire media and political system here is on the left, what’s the problem with another voice, a moderate one in my opinion. Does it scare you or cause offence?

He wasn't asked a question about, travellers or SEMS. Yet his campaign, according to here, is all about travellers and Sems.

What scares me and any other democrat is the stirring of prejudice and bias. There is nothing 'moderate' about targeting one community to attempt to get elected.
    Ask any marginalised community in the world about that. Ask people of Casey's era in Derry about it even.

In fairness he got the bit about the banana republic right. Our shower of morons here are laughable ... over there their politicians are of a far higher standard and will actually take positions, unlike our shower of populist wasters here!

QED. My point perfectly demonstrated. Thank you.

• Advertisement

There's a considerable difference between what's being said by that individual and what Casey said.
    Ukip are a bunch of xenophobic loonies for starters, anti Irish sentiment is still rife amongst certain demographics in England and this guy is playing to it.

There is no difference in it's intent. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

He wasn't asked a question about, travellers or SEMS. Yet his campaign, according to here, is all about travellers and Sems.

What scares me and any other democrat is the stirring of prejudice and bias. There is nothing 'moderate' about targeting one community to attempt to get elected.
    Ask any marginalised community in the world about that. Ask people of Casey's era in Derry about it even.
    he hit the nail on the head when he said government were doing nothing for workers either... he made a comment, it was the media that wouldn’t let it go and kick up blue murder. Because it achieves their aim of division , selling papers and clickbait!

he hit the nail on the head when he said government were doing nothing for workers either...
    There are plenty saying that.
    he made a comment, it was the media that wouldn’t let it go and kick up blue murder. Because it achieves their aim of division , selling papers and clickbait!

Man generalising about and selling mis-information about one community is not being divisive? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

It's a pity Casey couldn't have made his case earlier. But then the councils would never have backed him anyway I suppose, he'll have a longer campaign before a GE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

DChancer wrote:
    Your post does not address my point, I have no issues with Councils nominating candidates, my point is that to be a candidate you should have to have been tax resident in this state for at least two years before seeking election, thus stopping cheap forigen imports from stirring shíte for the craic.

You still denying Casey is Irish? You do know he was born in Derry holds an Irish passport. He is also subject to tax on any income earned here as a green card holder and further subject to dual tax treaties. You really are coming across as xenophobic, and clearly clueless to taxation laws and the right of citizenship. Best you have a little think before you post .

• Advertisement

Higgins 55.8% Casey 23.5% Gallagher 6.4% Ni Riada 6.3% Freeman 5.6% Duffy 2.1%

Considering the fact she had a sizeable party organisation behind her Ni Riada was the biggest looser in reality and by virtue of that SF. The very ones who caused the election campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

DChancer wrote: »
    Your post does not address my point, I have no issues with Councils nominating candidates, my point is that to be a candidate you should have to have been tax resident in this state for at least two years before seeking election, thus stopping cheap forigen imports from stirring shíte for the craic.

Its not a debate, its a discussion.
    Looking at changing rules post election because you didnt like the outcome. Yer both at it.

Here is a UKIP MEP doing exactly what Casey did, he takes the truth and he twists it to unleash hate speech/toxic comment that is primarily useless to any democratic worthwhile outcomes.

Apples and orchards, nice try though.

Here is the first poll of the campaign
    Higgins 67%
    Gallagher 15%
    UnNamed SF candidate 7%
    Duffy 6%
    Freeman 3%
    Casey 1%

The final count was as follows

Higgins 55.8%
    Casey 23.5%
    Gallagher 6.4%
    Ni Riada 6.3%
    Freeman 5.6%
    Duffy 2.1%

I will let you work out who lost most there.

Shinners vote collapsed.

Gallagher was unlikley to get elected. He didnt. He didnt lose out too much.

Casey went from being pilloried for driving golf balls into the sea at 1%, to 24%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

DChancer wrote: »
    A "fact" the electors who voted disagree with on, since he was emphatically beaten by MD who even on the lowest turnout in a Presidential election managed to garner the highest ever number of votes in a Presidential Election.

I was referring to Michael D

You still denying Casey is Irish? You do know he was born in Derry holds an Irish passport. He is also subject to tax on any income earned here as a green card holder and further subject to dual tax treaties. You really are coming across as xenophobic, and clearly clueless to taxation laws and the right of citizenship. Best you have a little think before you post .

I never said he wasn't Irish!
    He like many others born outside of this state is entitled to Irish Citizenship, he was born in the UK but I accept he is as Irish as anyone who holds Irish Citizenship without having been born here.
    My Issue is with who he himself accepted that he does NOT pay tax in Ireland he pays it in the US!

Shinners vote collapsed.

Gallagher was unlikley to get elected. He didnt. He didnt lose out too much.

Casey went from being pilloried for driving golf balls into the sea at 1%, to 24%.

Quite clear from those figures that SF vote held from the initial poll and survived Casey going from 1% ~ 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why would any democrat be scared by 23% of those that voted?

What you really mean is you're scared of those who holds opinions you don't agree with and want them suppressed, which is fundamentally anti-democratic?

DChancer wrote:
    I never said he wasn't Irish! He like many others born outside of this state is entitled to Irish Citizenship, he was born in the UK but I accept he is as Irish as anyone who holds Irish Citizenship without having been born here. My Issue is with who he himself accepted that he does NOT pay tax in Ireland he pays it in the US!

You want to reread some of your own posts. I have repeatedly told you that he is a green card holder is liable for tax to the US authorities on all his final income. He gets a credit from the IRS for any tax paid here. We also operate duel taxation treaties with other jurisdictions. Try and educate yourself, you really are coming across as clueless and tbh as a bigger sh*t stirrer than you claim Casey to be.

I was referring to Michael D

Increased his vote to a record vote for a candidate in a Presidential election even on a reduced turnout.
    Huge success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,366 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I still can't get over people still worked up about what 95% of the country thinks.

It's amazing that Places like Limerick and Longford gave him a good vote I wonder why

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There is no difference in it's intent. IMO

I'm glad you said "IMO", because you couldn't be more wrong.

Glazers Out!

DChancer wrote:
    I never said he wasn't Irish! He like many others born outside of this state is entitled to Irish Citizenship, he was born in the UK but I accept he is as Irish as anyone who holds Irish Citizenship without having been born here. My Issue is with who he himself accepted that he does NOT pay tax in Ireland he pays it in the US!

I just reread your post, heads up D he is Irish . He was born in Ireland holds an Irish passport so get yourself. It's the same as a Welsh man being born in Wales which is part of the UK. You really are a xenophobe, you vote No in the GFA referendum by any chance?

Why would any democrat be scared by 23% of those that voted?

What you really mean is you're scared of those who holds opinions you don't agree with and want them suppressed, which is fundamentally anti-democratic?

Scared by how it was achieved.
    Any candidate could have done what Casey did, I have the utmost respect for those who resisted the urge to follow suit

Quite clear from those figures that SF vote held from the initial poll and survived Casey going from 1% ~ 23%

Yet with all the party support behind her and being a serving MEP from a well known background she actually lost position from the first poll you put up .

DChancer wrote:
    Increased his vote to a record vote for a candidate in a Presidential election even on a reduced turnout. Huge success.
    Yet all the talk of the election is Casey. Seems MDH is only a sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Casey say on the LLS he could be traveller himself with the name Casey :p

I just reread your post, heads up D he is Irish . He was born in Ireland holds an Irish passport so get yourself. It's the same as a Welsh man being born in Wales which is part of the UK. You really are a xenophobe, you vote No in the GFA referendum by any chance?

I voted to end this states territorial claim to part of the UK, which is what we did by referendum in 1998.
    I never once said Casey isn't Irish, not once.
    I say again I have no issue with Irish Citizens born outside this state , none whatsoever so I fail to see where the claim I am a xenophobe comes from

Francie,
    Other than Shinners, you're the only one i know of spinning it as anything other than a disaster.
    Half of the Shinners didnt even vote for their canditate

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-féin-s-presidential-campaign-was-a-failure-1.3678354%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Yet with all the party support behind her and being a serving MEP from a well known background she actually lost position from the first poll you put up .

1% loss (from unknown candidate to her) compared to a 23% gain for Casey.
    Yet all the talk of the election is Casey. Seems MDH is only a sideshow.

What good is talk? MDH is the president.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement