Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JP Liz V1 wrote:
    Did Casey say on the LLS he could be traveller himself with the name Casey

Yep, silence from the travellers in the audience when he said that. Be hilarious if it turned out to be true.

DChancer wrote:
    I voted to end this states territorial claim to part of the UK, which is what we did by referendum in 1998. I never once said Casey isn't Irish, not once. I say again I have no issue with Irish Citizens born outside this state , none whatsoever so I fail to see where the claim I am a xenophobe comes from

You clearly do have an issue if you want the constitution changed to affect their ability to seek public office. Are you one of those that only like democracy when it's your type of democracy?

What good is talk? MDH is the president.

Which everyone knows is a meaningless retirement home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yep, silence from the travellers in the audience when he said that. Be hilarious if it turned out to be true.

"I cant believe people wouldnt vote for Casey because he was/is a traveller
    Such racism"

Heard it here first.

"I cant believe people wouldnt vote for Casey because he was/is a traveller Such racism"

Or a traveller saying they should be treated no different than the rest of wider society. Equally if you will .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Sinn Fein got 240,000 votes in the 2011 election.

Sinn Fein got 94,000 in the 2018 election.

A disaster and shows how surprisingly fickle their support is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did Casey say on the LLS he could be traveller himself with the name Casey :p

Another example of that unique way that Peter Casey has of making a valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

Sinn Fein got 240,000 votes in the 2011 election.

Sinn Fein got 94,000 in the 2018 election.

A disaster and shows how surprisingly fickle their support is.

Martin McGuinness vs Liath Ni Riada also has a fair bit to do with it I'd say

Martin McGuinness vs Liath Ni Riada also has a fair bit to do with it I'd say

Poor argument when Casey even polled better than McGuinness by nearly 100k 7 years later. McGuinness ran at a time when the country was in the midst of an economic crisis and distrust of the main parties was acute. He couldn't even capitalise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Poor argument when Casey even polled better than McGuinness by nearly 100k 7 years later. McGuinness ran at a time when the country was in the midst of an economic crisis and distrust of the main parties was acute. He couldn't even capitalise that.

It would be fair to say McGuinness had a lot of other baggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ultimately, he fell on his own sword with his own words.

No he didn't. He's very much alive and with an increased vote after his treatment imo.
    Long live Casey haaaaaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yet with all the party support behind her and being a serving MEP from a well known background she actually lost position from the first poll you put up .
    Francie,
    Other than Shinners, you're the only one i know of spinning it as anything other than a disaster.
    Half of the Shinners didnt even vote for their canditate

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-féin-s-presidential-campaign-was-a-failure-1.3678354%3fmode=amp

Quite clear that party alliegances and even party policy is not that relevant for the position of President.

Look at previous FF and FG candidates. FG's candidate in the 2011 election barely got out of the traps. Yet they are the biggest party in the governement now.

I am sure SF are disappointed, but then I thought they picked the wrong candidate entirely for the job. Said so at the beginning.

Calhoun wrote: »
    It was generally a circular argument which deflected any hard questions and ranted about racism and the poor families in thurles. The vibe given off is I want to be untouchable but also not be held accountable for anything.

I didn't hear it but I bet her solution was for the Gubbermint to throw more taxpayers money at the problem.
    I bet she also wasn't asked to comment on -

Towns having to close down for traveller funerals.
    Hotels in fear of being proxy booked for traveller weddings.
    Goading "Shyte in the bucket" traveller videos.
    Teenage inter family weddings.
    CAB not investigating their wealth.
    Traveller children not being sent to school.

Was she asked why she thought Casey got such a high vote in traveller populated areas? I bet not.

Their culture is so important to them. They can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

In a gesture of solidarity with Travellers Turbridy, Robinson etc are opening up their gardens to allow a few caravans pull in.

Quite clear that party alliegances and even party policy is not that relevant for the position of President.

It's only relevant in the fact that a contender came from nowhere to get a vote almost 4 times that of the candidate whose party caused the election. After that I agree with you that allegiance is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Edgware wrote: »
    In a gesture of solidarity with Travellers Turbridy, Robinson etc are opening up their gardens to allow a few caravans pull in.

Ah that's nice. They can admire each others top of the range vehicles.

It's only relevant in the fact that a contender came from nowhere to get a vote almost 4 times that of the candidate whose party caused the election. After that I agree with you that allegiance is irrelevant.

...by essentially attacking a marginalised community. That is easy to do. Ask any DUPer or UKIP voter about that tactic.

We knew (see my pre-election posts) there was a percentage of people who have this prejudice and bias. Casey succeeded in getting some of them off their backsides to a polling station...whoop de doop. :rolleyes: :D

...by essentially attacking a marginalised community. That is easy to do. Ask any DUPer or UKIP voter about that tactic.

When you provide proof other than 'in my opinion' nonsense I'll ignore your repeated false claims of attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Rather amusing that the poster on this thread with the most posts, majority of which are attacking Casey is an ardent supporter of the political wing of an organisation that was involved in the murder of thousands of people.

I think it's gas that the same poster automatically just thanks their post each and every time, regardless of content, even if it's something mundane or irrelevant. Sad or weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

DChancer wrote:
    I voted to end this states territorial claim to part of the UK, which is what we did by referendum in 1998. I never once said Casey isn't Irish, not once. I say again I have no issue with Irish Citizens born outside this state , none whatsoever so I fail to see where the claim I am a xenophobe comes from

You clearly do have an issue if you want the constitution changed to affect their ability to seek public office. Are you one of those that only like democracy when it's your type of democracy?
    Nothing xenophobic about stating that if you want to hold public office in this state you should be tax resident in this state.
    Maybe mummy and daddy will buy you a dictionary for 25th December day.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote:
    I think it's gas that the same poster automatically just thanks their post each and every time, regardless of content, even if it's something mundane or irrelevant. Sad or weird?

Almost like a dog whistle, no idea what it's about just trained to respond.lol..

When you provide proof other than 'in my opinion' nonsense I'll ignore your repeated false claims of attack.

Lies about SEMS
    Lies and generalisations about an entire community.

That IMO is an attack on a community.

Omackeral wrote: »

Hive.

Lies about SEMS
    Lies and generalisations about an entire community.

A SF voter complaining about attacks on communities ??? My my !!!

DChancer wrote:
    Nothing xenophobic about stating that if you want to hold public office in this state you should be tax resident in this state. Maybe mummy and daddy will buy you a dictionary for 25th December day.

You described Casey as a foreigner and made a few nasty comments about him based on your ignorance of his status. Considering its only you making these rather stupid comments a dictionary would be far better in your hands. Maybe have a look at the various tax treaties the state engages in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

We knew (see my pre-election posts) there was a percentage of people who have this prejudice and bias. Casey succeeded in getting some of them off their backsides to a polling station...whoop de doop. :rolleyes: :D

He didn't attack anyone. He simply pointed out the ridiculous situation in Thurles while people are homeless all over the country.
    It just suits the usual spas to try and label him racist

Edgware wrote: »
    He didn't attack anyone. He simply pointed out the ridiculous situation in Thurles while people are homeless all over the country.
    It just suits the usual spas to try and label him racist

He has a point about Tipp, no doubt.

But the fact is he went on to attack SEMS and impute that travellers are more equal as a result and to say that 'travellers are basically people who camp on other peoples lands'.

If you believe both statements above are wrong (and I do) then it was an attack on that community.

It's 23 per cent of those that excercised their right to vote. Others have claimed MDH won a landslide victory can't have it both ways.

He did win a landslide if you stay within the confines of those who voted.

You guys are bandying about 23% as if it was 23% of the electorate. It isn't. It is 10% of the electorate and 23% of the the 43% that voted.

A 43% which also happens to be the lowest ever turnout at a Presidential election.
    Which kinda chills the wheels on talk of 'revolution', or 'mobilisation' of those '90%' who it is claimed 'know what Casey was talking about, really...nudge nudge wink wink'

If that is all that turned out - 10% of the electorate - the powers that be have feck all to be worried about tbh.

As I said when you provide proof other than 'in my opinion' it's safe to dismiss ramblings like the above as nonsense.

• Advertisement

You guys are bandying about 23% as if it was 23% of the electorate. It isn't. It is 10% of the electorate and 23% of the the 43% that voted.

Nope just bandying about its 23 per cent of those that voted the rest that stayed at home not interested in what they say as they ignored the democratic process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement