Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Casey has no viable solutions to that and nor it seems, do his supporters. Only to make it worse.

How would you feel about focusing on the word "traveller" as describing a particular lifestyle (that of being nomadic as opposed to living in one place) as opposed to a fundamental aspect of one's identity, and therefore dropping nonsense terms such as "traveller housing" and "settled travellers" altogether? Stating that if one decides to stop travelling and live in a fixed location in a house, one is by definition no longer a traveller and just another Irish person living a mainstream lifestyle, not entitled to any special treatment or labelling but likewise not deserving of any special scrutiny / discrimination?

Once you do that, the problems around travellers become easier to fix because they then fall under the purview of what's already desperately needed in Ireland - proper criminal justice reform so that people who present a long term pain in the hole to society, regardless of their family background, are incapacitated from doing so through one method or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

omega man wrote: »
    Just drove by the halting site (on the N32?) near Clare hall on way to M50/M1 interchange. It was absolutely filthy with rubbish everywhere, well around the entrance areas at least. Is this everyone else’s fault they live like that? Been a while since I drove by a site I’ll admit so I was taken aback.

Yes. That's the settled people going in dumping stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Edward M wrote: »
    How was that, like how'd you treat them.

Asked them what they wanted and dealt with them. Like I would anybody who is no threat to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Asked them what they wanted and dealt with them. Like I would anybody who is no threat to me.

Did you do business with either?

Edward M wrote: »
    Did you do business with either?

Bought gloves of the tool guy and asked the other guy to call back when we stripp some metal sheeting down.
    Why do you ask?

• Advertisement

Bought gloves of the tool guy and asked the other guy to call back when we stripp some metal sheeting down.
    Why do you ask?

Just wondering on the legitimacy of either?

How would you feel about focusing on the word "traveller" as describing a particular lifestyle (that of being nomadic as opposed to living in one place) as opposed to a fundamental aspect of one's identity, and therefore dropping nonsense terms such as "traveller housing" and "settled travellers" altogether? Stating that if one decides to stop travelling and live in a fixed location in a house, one is by definition no longer a traveller and just another Irish person living a mainstream lifestyle, not entitled to any special treatment or labelling but likewise not deserving of any special scrutiny / discrimination?

Once you do that, the problems around travellers become easier to fix because they then fall under the purview of what's already desperately needed in Ireland - proper criminal justice reform so that people who present a long term pain in the hole to society, regardless of their family background, are incapacitated from doing so through one method or another.

Well, it doesn't really matter what I think, travellers themselves have something to say about the 'definition'. It's on Pavee Point website, will dig it out later. Watching the rugby here

I mistrust strangers in general until I know what they want.
    It doesn't matter who they are.

I don't mistrust because they come from Eir or any other company or from certain communities. That is prejudice.

I.E. I had two people in on a site this week, strangers - I dealt with both the same, one guy was a settled business man who sold tools from his van and the other was a traveller looking to see if they was any scrap to be taken or bought.
    Both were treated with courtesy and the same way.

How did you know one was a traveller and one wasn’t? Did you ask them or just assume?

How did you know one was a traveller and one wasn’t? Did you ask them or just assume?

eh...they are a different ethnicity to me and other settled Irish? He also told me his name and I asked was he a relation of a famous traveller in these parts who dealt with my dad for many years as I mentioned earlier in the thread. He was..a grandson.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,606 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Theres a new exciting series starring John Connors starting next Tuesday at 1040 on RTE2. Its a three part series.

Its being described as a ground breaking research programme in traveller culture, it will probably be used in schools for the history of traveller lessons.

To think my TV licence is paying for this.

Do TV licence inspectors call to halting sites, do they ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

givyjoe wrote: »
    What's with the bizarre re-occurence of posters popping in to say the thread is done, should be closed etc.
    This thread is done simply because it all it consists of now is an armful of posters quoting franciebrady. There is little or no discussion now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Why the need to type that in capitals? :rolleyes:

tretorn wrote: »
    Theres a new exciting series starring John Connors starting next Tuesday at 1040 on RTE2. Its a three part series.

Its being described as a ground breaking research programme in traveller culture, it will probably be used in schools for the history of traveller lessons.

I wonder how travellers would have reacted to love/hate if RTE hadn't used the bold John as the lead drug dealing traveller?
    If it had been a settled lad I'd say they'd have been all over it.
    Cute hoors in montrose didn't portray travellers in a good light in that now did they, they are more in tune with reality than they might admit or allow anyone else to admit perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Just drove by the halting site (on the N32?) near Clare hall on way to M50/M1 interchange. It was absolutely filthy with rubbish everywhere, well around the entrance areas at least. Is this everyone else’s fault they live like that? Been a while since I drove by a site I’ll admit so I was taken aback.

Been like that for years.

Council comes in every few weeks and cleans it up.

Rinse repeat.

Free house, bin, electricity, tv license charges.

What do they actually pay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

They have to have big Joe Joyce in there somewhere it will be a sham if he isn't included.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There'll be buckets of shîte.
    And discharging firearms near childers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Been like that for years.

Council comes in every few weeks and cleans it up.

Rinse repeat.

Free house, bin, electricity, tv license charges.

What do they actually pay for?

Horse head statues? Swarovski crystal encrusted party frocks? Fake tan?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RTE Received over 500 complaints re the Peter Casey interview.
    Im sure majority were relating to Tubridy and how he treated Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

erica74 wrote: »
    Horse head statues? Swarovski crystal encrusted party frocks? Fake tan?
    Wunderbras and dayglo orange tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

If people cause squalor, then they can live in this, it is of their own doing, let it be, they will eventually get sick of it or because of it, and then clean it up,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

goat2 wrote: »
    If people cause squalor, then they can live in this, it is of their own doing, let it be, they will eventually get sick of it or because of it, and then clean it up,

Unfortunately Goat, you and me have to pay for managing their crap.

Unfortunately Goat, you and me have to pay for managing their crap.

But if like us they are left to their own devices they will eventually when they get sick of looking at all that crap, they will clean it up, we are all born the same, same needs and wants, also the same abilities, if I can find the 10 minuits to clean up every now and then outside my premises, they can also

• Registered Users Posts: 19,568 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

But if like us they are left to their own devices they will eventually when they get sick of looking at all that crap, they will clean it up, we are all born the same, same needs and wants, also the same abilities, if I can find the 10 minuits to clean up every now and then outside my premises, they can also

No they won’t, Goat.

No they won’t ,have you ever seen a site which has been cleaned up by anyone other that those paid by you and me?

I certainly haven’t.

These dudes have no interest ,zero,null, nada, nihil,in their surroundings.

No interest,bro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

mickdw wrote: »

that sounds like a lot of complaints considering how lazy the Irish are at complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

that sounds like a lot of complaints considering how lazy the Irish are at complaining

However, RTE refused to say if the complaints related to Tubridy’s handling of the interview or the fact that Casey was a guest on the show given his controversial comments during the election campaign.

‘Because complaints are by their nature confidential, this is not something we would comment on.’

https://evoke.ie/2018/11/11/showbiz/tv/rte-complaints-peter-caseys-late-late-interview

:rolleyes: Maybe because the majority were pro Casey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mickdw wrote: »

Where did you read that Mick?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Rathkeale to be the most heavily policed village in the world this Christmas.

Pretend there isn't a cultural and values problem in this group, pretend they are an ethnicity whatever it takes to ignore it as you have Champagne flute refilled and talk about that nasty Casey man and the nasty calloused hands that gave him so many 1s.

Danzy wrote: »
    Rathkeale to be the most heavily policed village in the world this Christmas.

Pretend there isn't a cultural and values problem in this group, pretend they are an ethnicity whatever it takes to ignore it as you have Champagne flute refilled and talk about that nasty Casey man and the nasty calloused hands that gave him so many 1s.

I read that on the paper yesterday, and am wondering why, as any time I pass through that town, it seems quiet nice, there are some huge gated houses there and these seem to be idle with nobody home, they are beautiful,

it would be interesting to call there through the Christmas season to see what all the fuss is about,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I read that on the paper yesterday, and am wondering why, as any time I pass through that town, it seems quiet nice, there are some huge gated houses there and these seem to be idle with nobody home, they are beautiful,

it would be interesting to call there through the Christmas season to see what all the fuss is about,

Massive influx of travellers home at Christmas time.

The huge houses are travellers homes.

Live about 25 miles away, it's a war zone Christmas week.

That is why armed guards will be on the street.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement