Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I have taken the mod note to mean ...

And you've the audacity to go on about selective quoting. You're an out and out hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I will take my leave.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It is my opinion that he incited hatred deliberately by making this quite false and generalised remark.

Your opinion is not proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have taken the mod note to mean 'if my next post is about incitement to hate'.

Lol.
    Your ability to deflect, misrepresent and troll all nicely bundled into a single statement there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is a discussion forum, not a court. We all have our opinions, we post them in good faith and others argue their opinions. I haven't reported one post on this entire site just because I don't agree with it, ever. I have reported abuse and trolling though.

If that is not acceptable to you. Fair enough, shouts for Casey's rights to free speech sound a bit hollow and are more - 'free speech for those who I agree with' though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mickdw wrote: »
    Lol.
    Your ability to deflect, misrepresent and troll all nicely bundled into a single statement there.

I may have misunderstood the mod note. Corrected either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

One traveller family has asked for stables and a field to keep their horses as part of a deal with Tipp Co Co.to give up living accommodation they have been in for 50 years and which they say they are happy with.

And again we get the 'generalisation' that they are all doing it. As well as the claim that all of them are sulky driving on primary routes.

You sure this is unprecedented Francie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

You sure this is unprecedented Francie?

Not in the slightest. Be nice if it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: FrancieBrady has been given a short holiday and won't be posting in this thread again.

Please stop responding to his posts as he is unable to reply.

Not in the slightest. Be nice if it was!

I'm wondering does he genuinely not have a clue.

Nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Anyone see Caseys tweet on travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

I only heard Joe Duffy mention it at 2.55. Checked Casey's Twitter and no sign of said tweet.
    Apparently a video involving travellers.

Cue gratuitous tut-tutting from Joe Duffy

:rolleyes:

Uncharted wrote: »
    I only heard Joe Duffy mention it at 2.55. Checked Casey's Twitter and no sign of said tweet.
    Apparently a video involving travellers.

Cue gratuitous tut-tutting from Joe Duffy

:rolleyes:

Is it the one a few pages back?
    More a dig at the late late than travellers

Just looking now something about a video being deleted

Funny these are some of Caseys tweets

"We are all one nation and one people. I don't separate one group over another. I beleive we are all Irish #latelate

I have no animosity towards travellers. To say I was victimizing them is incorrect #latelate

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Is it the one a few pages back?
    More a dig at the late late than travellers

Bottom of page 125. Comedy gold

Peter Casey's former PR firm says it has nothing to do with Traveller video he tweeted
    PR firm Bannerton says the video was “mistakenly retweeted” by its account.

https://www.thejournal.ie/peter-casey-tweet-bannerton-4339395-Nov2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

This is the video that was tweeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

Some of the good points are:
    - very close family units
    - 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

Thank you for having the balls to actually answer.

Close family units means cousins marrying cousins and children left with serious health issues, which we are then expected to pick up the tab for, and they also use poor health as one of the things they whinge about when they're whinging about discrimination
    What are "traditional" values?
    Do you know where this oral story telling and traditional music takes place?
    Live more lightly on the earth? They wreck everything they touch, they strip PURPOSE BUILT accommodation, which we pay for, of anything which can be sold, new accommodation is then demanded and provided by our muppet government

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Maybe you're not asking in the right place? My own thoughts are that there's good and bad in terms of what might be called 'traveller culture'.

Some of the good points are:
    - very close family units
    - 'traditional' values
    - some traveller families kept oral story telling and traditional music traditions alive when they were unpopular with official Ireland
    - live more lightly on the earth in terms of use of resources over lifetime, compared to many settled people.

Some bad points are:
    - many seem to have a total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish.
    - petty thieving and fighting
    - women have more constrained roles
    - little effort made to contribute to society as a whole and help support the state.

On the whole these days, I think it's fair to say that travellers are being slowly subsumed into settled society and there's no real need or value to preserve whatever value once existed. Indeed the very idea of investing additional money in their 'culture' is counter productive to the idea of preserving it anyway.

Doesn't "live more lightly on the earth" conflict with "total disregard for responsible disposal of their rubbish"? Also, some Travellers have built enormous mansions of houses, drive large vehicles, and have more children than settled people. The average Traveller couple have 5 children. I'd say Travellers consume more resources on average than others.

And how do they reconcile having close family units with their violent feuding?

By "traditional values" I assume you mean religious values -- but that's not necessarily a Traveller-specific thing. It's just that the rest of the country has a markedly different relationship to religion now than it did in the 1980s, while Travellers haven't moved on to the same extent.

The only thing above that could be used to justify any cultural contribution is the oral storytelling and traditional music ... and I don't see these as parts of Traveller culture, at least not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Of course the Gardai who are being portrayed s dirt under our fingernails at the moment are being sent to Drogheda to protect local residents.

There are vicious people arriving from the UK and while I couldnt careless about feuding travellers Gardai and innocent law abiding people could be killed or injured.

Moneymore sounds like hell, imagine a decent person having to rear their children there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This is the video that was tweeted.

That's very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That's very funny.

We don't tolerate funny any more, it's too racist.

JMNolan wrote: »

#jesuiscasey

#jesuiscasey

That looks like Jesus Casey!
    Is he the Messiah?
    (Or a very naughty boy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

That looks like Jesus Casey!
    Is he the Messiah?
    (Or a very naughty boy?)

He is the Messiah ! I know a Messiah when I see one, I've followed a few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

SexBobomb wrote: »
    He is the Messiah ! I know a Messiah when I see one, I've followed a few.

How should we f**k off oh Lord ????

God I love that film, even though a nun told me I would burn in Hell for all eternity for listening to the soundtrack on tape! Though tbh she said that about anything from being late to the time I came in with a white stripe on my nose a la Adam Ant!

JMNolan wrote: »

Most of the people screaming "racism!" about that video probably don't realize that the "offensive" audio is lifted directly from a genuine call-out video by Big Joe Joyce. Somehow it's "racist" now to repeat a Traveller's own words?

Hmmm maybe it spreading ...

Over €1m spent on travelling community in Clare since 2016

A total of €1,259,103 has been spent by the Council since 2016 and the local authority expects this figure to rise to €1,363,407 by the end of the year. The expenditure is towards accommodation, maintenance, waste collection, security, legal costs and illegal encampment.

Independent councillor, Gerry Flynn outlined his frustration with the amount of Council money being spent on travellers at a meeting of the local authority on Monday. “Where is this money coming from? There are a lot of other constructive ways we could be spending this money. It is a sizeable amount of money in the face of people accusing us of doing nothing”.

https://www.clareecho.ie/e1m-spent-travelling-community-clare-since-2016/

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    A total of €1,259,103 has been spent by the Council since 2016 and the local authority expects this figure to rise to €1,363,407 by the end of the year. The expenditure is towards accommodation, maintenance, waste collection, security, legal costs and illegal encampment.

I wonder what the figure is nationally.

I expect the activities of this "ethnic minority" cost the taxpayer many millions per annum -- and yet the likes of Tubridy won't tolerate any criticism of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement