Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BBFAN wrote:
    Total bias of course, can't stand doddery stuttering old men.

Or just doddery old men who call out the bs travellers engage in?

I listened to yesterday’s. I found the first person to talk with Peter (Brendan) to be as slippery as an eel. He tried to be smart with the “look it up in a dictionary” lines. Went on about the Thurles story being factually incorrect even though it’s all on record about who said what. Disappointed that the host of the interview never asked him if the travellers had now moved into the homes. Actually, if we went by the Brendan fella, we don’t have an answer to why they’ve never moved into them.

The traveller comedian, beans? He’s smart and played the interview to his strengths. But, IMO, he’s not smarter than an average newstalk listener and was trying to tell Peter that he should say what beans told him to say. By the end I just felt that he was telling Peter to say “x,y & z” and his sins would be absolved.

Neither of the traveller representatives changed my overall opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Or just doddery old men who call out the bs travellers engage in?

No doddery old men in general, they're usually calling out someone on bs from their bar stool but don't have any solutions.

BBFAN wrote:
    No doddery old men in general, they're usually calling out someone on bs from their bar stool but don't have any solutions.

But you're ok with Peter calling out the Travellers on their bs, grand so.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

BBFAN wrote: »

Oh how I'll laugh when your pets turn on you.

• Advertisement

But you're ok with Peter calling out the Travellers on their bs, grand so.

I couldn't care less about him calling out travellers, what I do have a problem with is people thinking that qualifies someone to be president. It's just ridiculous in the extreme.

What did people think he was going to do as president?

I couldn't care less about him calling out travellers, what I do have a problem with is people thinking that qualifies someone to be president. It's just ridiculous in the extreme.

You were on the president thread. Many, many people like myself were using Peter as a protest vote.

Oh how I'll laugh when your pets turn on you.

Only pets I have are a Yorkshire terrier and a 90 year old cat so I'm not too worried about them turning on me. :rolleyes:

You were on the president thread. Many, many people like myself were using Peter as a protest vote.

Yeah, so how has that worked out? Are all travellers now shot on sight as a result of Casey getting 25%?

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Only pets I have are a Yorkshire terrier and a 90 year old cat so I'm not too worried about them turning on me. :rolleyes:

The arch liberal is a cat lady? No way!

• Advertisement

Yeah, so how has that worked out? Are all travellers now shot on sight as a result of Casey getting 25%?

Grow up.

BBFAN wrote:

I'm quite happy to give my vote to someone for a meaningless job if they are willing to call bs on the thuggery and lawlessness of a section of society. What I find hilarious is the the numpties that got upset when Casey said everyone should be treated the same. Ironic actually that he was called racist for wanting equality.

BBFAN wrote:
    Only pets I have are a Yorkshire terrier and a 90 year old cat so I'm not too worried about them turning on me.

Your cat is 90, is it doddery?

Your cat is 90, is it doddery?

Sure is, lucky enough she doesn't talk so doesn't go round spouting ****e.

BBFAN wrote:

Pity her owner does......

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Questioning sacred Cows

Peter Casey says the things other politicians are afraid to say. Gave him my NO. 1 in the presidential election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Unlike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

I listened to yesterday’s. I found the first person to talk with Peter (Brendan) to be as slippery as an eel. He tried to be smart with the “look it up in a dictionary” lines. Went on about the Thurles story being factually incorrect even though it’s all on record about who said what. Disappointed that the host of the interview never asked him if the travellers had now moved into the homes. Actually, if we went by the Brendan fella, we don’t have an answer to why they’ve never moved into them.

The traveller comedian, beans? He’s smart and played the interview to his strengths. But, IMO, he’s not smarter than an average newstalk listener and was trying to tell Peter that he should say what beans told him to say. By the end I just felt that he was telling Peter to say “x,y & z” and his sins would be absolved.

Neither of the traveller representatives changed my overall opinion.

Tbf, if you're putting yourself up on a pedestal to talk about "ethnicity", the bare minimum should at least be to have an idea of what the definition of "ethnicity" is. Peter Casey clearly doesn't so I can't blame the guy (can't remember his name) for pulling PC up on that one.

superglue wrote: »
    Tbf, if you're putting yourself up on a pedestal to talk about "ethnicity", the bare minimum should at least be to have an idea of what the definition of "ethnicity" is. Peter Casey clearly doesn't so I can't blame the guy (can't remember his name) for pulling PC up on that one.

I think his name was Brendan.

He should have elaborated further than just saying travellers are a sub culture. How? What defines that subculture? State what makes them so and then let the other person debate it. To me it just came across as a jibe whereas he should have remembered that it was a radio show with listeners tuning in.

It's the whole marrying a close blood relative that has given travellers their 'unique' culture. There is a big word for it but means what I said. "Why go into town, when you can go down the hall".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

It's the whole marrying a close blood relative that has given travellers their 'unique' culture. There is a big word for it but means what I said. "Why go into town, when you can go down the hal(ting site)l".

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

When each one of the other candidates claimed that they wouldn't mind living next to a halting site, I decided that a liar wasn't getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

When each one of the other candidates claimed that they wouldn't mind living next to a halting site, I decided that a liar wasn't getting my vote.

10 out of 10 on the politician scale for all of them though. Lying directly to the public gets you in the cabinet at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

It's the whole marrying a close blood relative that has given travellers their 'unique' culture. There is a big word for it but means what I said. "Why go into town, when you can go down the hall".

They were saying about traveler appropriate accommodation with up to 300 close relatives i really didn't know what they wanted now......a small town with only travelers in it with no all provided to them.

Or small clumps together and next to each other with no integration with other communities?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

k99_64 wrote: »
    They were saying about traveler appropriate accommodation with up to 300 close relatives i really didn't know what they wanted now......a small town with only travelers in it with no all provided to them.

Or small clumps together and next to each other with no ingratiation with other communities?

I'd be all for that as long as there was a very high wall, preferably with electrified barbed wire on top, so they couldn't get out.

k99_64 wrote:

So like Rathkeale where the Guards last year had to draw up an action plan and the HSE put in a triage unit to deal with the 'owies' these clowns cause each other.
    I like the wall enclosure suggestion, let them off with no interference from general society. They clearly have no interest in being an effective/ productive member of the wider community.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Gravelly wrote: »
    I'd be all for that as long as there was a very high wall, preferably with electrified barbed wire on top, so they couldn't get out.

But is that actually what they are asking for? But a wall and gate for keeping people out.

Honestly thought they asking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

But is that actually what they are asking for? But a wall and gate for keeping people out.

I think they want it a bit like a viking village, where they are protected from the natives, but they are free to come and go on raids.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No matter what you give travellers, they will never be happy. They will always want more. And anything you give them will ultimately be wrecked. When anything is gotten for nothing, it isn't appreciated.

If the State had an unlimited budget and gave every single traveller family a halting site or a house, they'd end up fighting with each other and need new halting sites and houses.

They'd claim that they need new accommodation due to a feud and expect it to be provided.

And what are we supposed to do, bow to these demands because they are too uncivilised to live peacefully together?

Fcuk that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Some of the people in the Newstalk show were very sneering and patronizing. Including the interviewer who should be neutral

Along the lines of Peter you can change your ways. I think you are a better person. You don’t realy believe all this. Tell the public Peter, I know you can amend your views. Get a dictionary

Like talking to a bold child or an imbecile

Casey was pretty inarticulate himself though but he was during the campaign too I guess. Not the best speaker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement