Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Education is critical.

Didn't the ones on the Late Late all have third level?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep...all 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Considering the drivel that both spoke, particularly the lad, id be questioning how much they were attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ugh.

ugh what? you can't expect me to know everything to be fair.
    I sometimes wonder if you are autistic since you seem to take things so literally.

good for you. unsure what it has to do with peter casey though. i doubt he cares what a random poster on a forum thinks of another random poster.
    Imaging being such an entitled twat as to turn turn down free houses because you didn't get a stable and free land?

they did turn down subsidized housing. i'm not exactly jumping for joy over it myself but i'm not complaining over it either. i have better things to worry and complain about.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

That's funny because I know you're angry at how much rent you have to pay but there's no chance of you getting a free house, is there?

Omackeral, I think we've got another one!

giphy.gif

Rent is what it is - might as well be angry about the weather. Whatever I'm paying, doesn't take away from the fact that more social housing needs to be built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

ugh what? you can't expect me to know everything to be fair.

good for you. unsure what it has to do with peter casey though. i doubt he cares what a random poster on a forum thinks of another random poster.

they did turn down subsidized housing. i'm not exactly jumping for joy over it myself but i'm not complaining over it either. i have better things to worry and complain about.

FREE housing - not subsidised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I think that exposed another issue in Irish society. The absolute collapse in standards in Irish colleges and universities. Not much different to the Leaving Cert many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yep...all 2 of them.

Sorry now, there was absolutely nothing wrong with their loud mouthy voices repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, even though they were just shouting AT the man, no questioning at all.

It seems to be what they can do best, shout and roar for their rights. Never a mention of responsibilities though.

That Pavee Point should be starved of grants now. It is totally useless. The only word they seem to be able to use is "Racist" even though we all know we are all equal and of the Irish race anyway.

Too many excuses being made for Travellers. They need to help themselves at some point instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them, and if it doesn't work out well then the R word or Discrimination comes out. Victims the lot of them. Well in their minds anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What is Casey's education record because he doesn't strike me as very intellectually bright or articulate, in fact, his articulation approaches the bizarre at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Graduates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sorry now, there was absolutely nothing wrong with their loud mouthy voices repeating the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, even though they were just shouting AT the man, no questioning at all.

It seems to be what they can do best, shout and roar for their rights. Never a mention of responsibilities though.

That Pavee Point should be starved of grants now. It is totally useless. The only word they seem to be able to use is "Racist" even though we all know we are all equal and of the Irish race anyway.

Too many excuses being made for Travellers. They need to help themselves at some point instead of expecting everyone else to do it for them, and if it doesn't work out well then the R word or Discrimination comes out. Victims the lot of them. Well in their minds anyway.

A lot of the travellers I've dealt with love crying racism, I've been accused of it(I've never given them the satisfaction of using slurs against them) and seen the same travellers calling black people n*ggers and monkeys.

Glazers Out!

I have to ask.
    How are they not free?

Or, if as you say "subsidised", who is the other party along with the state funding these houses?

the state pays a contribution, and the other party (the tenant) must come up with the rest. the amounts will vary in terms of income.
    Panch18 wrote: »
    You need to get out and see what is being done to halting sites and houses by travellers around the country.

They are nothing short of a disgrace. And it is not 1 particular family or 1 particular halting site/housing estate, it’s the majority of them

the majority of them? are you sure about that?
    i'm very much aware what is being done in some sites by some travelers and the authorities must deal with them. a majority by a majority of travelers, well i'm afraid i haven't saw anything to show that to be the case.
    FREE housing - not subsidised.

for it to be free, neither party would be paying rent on it. if rent is paid, and the tenant is obligated to pay a contribution toards the rent with the government paying the rest, then it is subsidized.
    Funny how you're suddenly displaying such a fatalistic attitude towards rent. You're usually quite angry at landlords and having to give them money.

Just think, if you'd been born the correct ethnitcy you'd have a free house but instead you have to hand over a good chunk of your income every month to a private landlord.

you are aware it's not just travelers in social/subsidized accommodation?

Depends on what metric you use to assess that. He doesn't strike me as happy and contented after what seems an up and down business life.
    Seems to have something to prove to himself or his mother.

°°°°°

Depends on what metric you use to assess that. He doesn't strike me as happy and contented after what seems an up and down business life.

Very Freudian...

Glazers Out!

the state pays a contribution, and the other party (the tenant) must come up with the rest. the amounts will vary in terms of income.

And where does the rest come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Plenty of Travellers with no education or good parenting seem to have made a lot of money though!. Casey may or may not have had a formal education to LC. but them were the days and it didn't matter so much back in the day when kids left school at 13, like my own father who ended up a very successful businessman bless him.

Many wealthy business people have little third level education. Some people are just not academic, and they use the skills they have in other ways.

Attending secondary school to LC is paramount though. After that choices can be made. Travellers do not seem to put any value on Secondary education though. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Please do tell us on what metric you have done better! Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

What is Casey's education record because he doesn't strike me as very intellectually bright or articulate, in fact, his articulation approaches the bizarre at times.
    The best business people in this country, never stepped inside 3rd level education, the just left home and worked their way up ,
    As Casey himself said, he worked 7 days a week long hours, this is how he got to where he is,
    You only get out of something, if you put into something

nullzero wrote: »
    Very Freudian...

Potentially Sophoclesian

°°°°°

Potentially Sophoclesian

Only if he stabs his eyes out.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Please do tell us on what metric you have done better! Priceless.

I don't need to demean anyone to get ahead. Not in my nature and very contented with that facet of Francie.
    Not saying I have done better, but success in business would be way down my list of judging success at life. Many wealthy business people are abhorrent, quite ill people IMO.

Just interested in what drives already wealthy and secure people.

tretorn wrote: »
    Its easy enough to burn homes of the deceased when the taxpayer is providing these homes.
    The council built lovely bungalows in Nutgrove for travellers and one by one these houses were boarded up. I wonder were some set on fire.

Is one module of the proposed traveller culture taught in school to be in relation to deliberate arson.

is it? it is against the law to deliberately set fire to a house. whether the person living in it owns it, rents it privately from a landlord, or is in social/subsidized housing. as it absolutely should be
    The Irish travellers with their usual scamming are active in Australia and are giving decent Irish emigrants a bad name.
    The Australian police have put their mugs online in an effort to protect Australian citizens, the Australians would have no truck with ethic minorities lame ass excuses.
    The Australians are lucky though, they can deport the “travellers” back to us and make sure they never go Down Under again.

If traveller crime was deslt with effectively here the Gardai would be in control. The Gardai are hampered in their efforts because of PC nonsense. If the ethnic minority are so proud of their status then why are the media so shy about naming criminal travellers as just gangs, apply their hard won ethnic status to them.

RTE and that muppet on half a million euros had the chsnce on zfriday to acknowledge rural peoples fear of travellers, francie and company belittling these fears by saying, sure, they are a minority in relation to thise eho vited for MD is denying democracy. Michael D left it late to say he was running again, he had nothing to show for his seven year term, he didnt have audited accounts of his spending, he got a completely easy ride from the media so of course it was going to be difficult to unseat him.

Many people also voted for him thinking he is going to get a pension and if we elect someone else to be as useless as him thats a full salary and s pension, cheaper to just leave him wandering around the Aras penning verse.

Peter Casey achieved a remarkable share of the vote and travellers need to take responsibility for that rather than wallowing in victimhood.

the gardai are hampered in their efforts by the lack of resources. "pc rabel rabel" doesn't stop them from enforcing the law. mdh got the vote because he was the best out of the candidates for many. the travelers aren't responsible for casey getting votes, the people who voted for him, many on the basis of his comments only, are the ones responsible. travelers are victims of discrimination whether you like it or not.

If 347,000 people have had negative experiences of a community that officially numbers 30,000 there is something very serious going on.

This has to be faced up and dealt with.

The travellers had their day out in RTE.

Wouldnt it be fair now to let victims of traveller crime have their chsnce to talk to Tubridy. Lets see how smart he is faced with the relatives of the ninety year old Bray woman beaten up in her home in the middle of the night by travellers.

Oh, no, we couldnt do that, they are an ethnic minority.

really? them being an ethnic minority prohibits discussion of victims of crimes commited by some travelers? i don't think so. after all, we are discussing it, rte have discussed it as have other radio stations and media.
    The travellers werent told to ring in.
    Tubridy filled the studio with travellers while he rubbished a guest he had invited on.

If its equality we want then let the victims of travellers speak. Most would probably be too afraid but the privacy of the ballot box allowed them a voice.

Maybe Leo could go on Tubridys show tomorrow and tell us what he thinks about Caseys vote and about that fact that 347,000 people told him to shove his voting advice where the sun doesnt shine.

the victims of travelers can use rte to speak. tuberty or rte can't force them to take up the ability to use it. leo shares the same view as the majority, that casey and his views belong in a different era.
    Casey is the messenger the rural community have been waiting for, you are missing the point entirely by focussing on him.

If a braying donkey could say what Casey said 347,000 people would have voted for it.

People who would never vite for Sinn Fein because of their past would have left their morals at the doir of the station and voted for SF if a candidate had the courage to put the spotlight on traveller criminality.

he really isn't the messenger the rural community have been waiting for. he does not speak for the whole of the rural community. he speaks for some of it only and the votes reflect this.

i'm very much aware what is being done in some sites by some travelers and the authorities must deal with them. a majority by a majority of travelers, well i'm afraid i haven't saw anything to show that to be the case.

for it to be free, neither party would be paying rent on it. if rent is paid, and the tenant is obligated to pay a contribution toards the rent with the government paying the rest, then it is subsidized.

Do you honestly believe that travellers are paying rent to the council???

Wow

Wow

The rent topic is for another thread. And the fact that I have to pay it is nothing to do with my ethnicity. Could lose my job in the morning and qualify for rent allowance.

The rent topic is for another thread. And the fact that I have to pay it is nothing to do with my ethnicity. Could lose my job in the morning and qualify for rent allowance.
    Quite hard to get landlords to take rent allowance/HAP payments these days. Market forces dictate they don't need the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Wow

Do you know how I know they don't pay for their houses? Because they have no respect for their houses.

And where does the rest come from?

i just answered that. both the state and tenant pay.

<SNIP>

in that specific case yes, however it doesn't answer what i asked. perhapse you could answer the original question?

Wow

they are obligated to do so, and if they don't the council has the ability to evict them. i'm aware the council will rarely take up the option to evict non-payers but the ability is there. what needs to happen is a deduction at source (wages/benefits) to deal with that issue.

Councils have a different section that deals with Traveller housing to other groups. So I assume there is different rules too.

• Advertisement

It's my current salary, not my ethnicity, that would disbar me from getting a council house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement