Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater - broken??

Options
  • 05-11-2018 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with my storage heating in rented accommodation.
    When I first moved in the rads omitted heat throughout the day and there was always some hot water.

Now I need to actually turn the rads on for them to heat and there is no hot water unless I turn the boost on for half an hour.

I'm guessing that the boiler is fine because the water will heat but only when the boost is turned on, but the storage heating itself is not working at all.

I've tried fiddling with the dials on the immersion but no joy. I'm kinda clueless as to how these work so worried that theres something simple Im missing. However it did just stop working out of nowhere which I found strange.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think you are confused somewhat:-

1/. Electrical storage heaters are supposed to be hot all day. They charge overnight on cheaper electricity.

2/. They aren't related to hot water. That's done by an immersion heater in the water tank.

3/. Use the room thermostats to set the temperature. Don't use the boost at all - it eats high cost electricity.

4/. If you have electrical storage heating, it's highly unlikely you have a boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lauren05

Sorry yes your right. Its an immersion I have, not a boiler.

But according to the instructions it should operate on the same principal as the storage heaters - it should heat during the night if left in "timed" position.

But this, alongside the heat, hasn't been working so we've been using the boost for a long time as other wise theres no hot water.

I guess I'll have to get on to the landlord but as they don't live anyway locally I was hoping there was something else I could do to figure it out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Immersion could be set to timed or just turned on manually.

Storage heaters should be set to charge overnight. If they are coming on they are either broken or a thermostat is telling them not to charge.

p.s. Check your fuseboard to ensure all the trip switches are ok.

Advertisement