Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compliance notice - ESTA related I suppose

Options
  • 05-11-2018 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

Got an email this morning -U.S. Customs and Border Protection Traveler Status Notification - reminding me that I can only legally stay in US for next 9 days on my holiday (from which I returned late August!). Is this a routine email? I made the ESTA arrangements for the family of four but I am the only one to receive an email (presumably because it's the only email address they have).

Passport Number: xxxxxxxx
    Passport Country of Issuance: Ireland
    Days Overstayed: N/A

Days Left to Leave the Country: 11

icon-subsection-divider-info.png
    Your authorized period of stay in the United States expires on 11/15/2018 (mm/dd/yyyy). Our records show you have 11 days to depart the United States. The days remaining in the United States are the days you have left on your admission period.

Edited to add: I see this info now on the official website:
    If you received an email indicating that you have 10 days left on your admission, there is no immediate action to take. The email is automatically generated based on the admission date you received upon entry and serves as a reminder about the time you have left in the United States. In order to comply with your terms of admission, you must either leave by 11:59 PM on the last day of your admission (the date on your I-94) or have filed an application with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Did you fly home and if so, which airline? Did you show your passport to any US immigration official (not the airline) when departing?

This used to be an issue when people came home and still had the little slip stapled to their passport. It was supposed to be removed by the check-in clerk at the airport when flying home but a lot of people managed to come home with the insert still in their passport. It potentially meant that were not clocked out properly and this could (and did) cause problems next time they tried to enter the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Yes flew there and back with Aer lingus - JFK both ways. Our passports showed we entered on X date but nothing anywhere to show we exited. I presume we did show passports to US officials where we queued for security though I can't remember. I hope it is just the 'automatically generated email' as referenced above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Looks like your i94 departure was not recorded. If you returned in August, it should have been recorded as stated above once your passport was scanned prior to departure. Check https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home for your history

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yes flew there and back with Aer lingus - JFK both ways. Our passports showed we entered on X date but nothing anywhere to show we exited. I presume we did show passports to US officials where we queued for security though I can't remember. I hope it is just the 'automatically generated email' as referenced above.

It be an automatically generated email but their records think you are still there and there is nothing to do if you are leaving by the date stated.

This could cause problems in future. Tell them you are back home.

Aha - my husband and 2 children recorded as arrived and departed. I am recorded only as having arrived! Need to sort this out pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aha - my husband and 2 children recorded as arrived and departed. I am recorded only as having arrived! Need to sort this out pronto.

If you're contacting the US authorities, quote your husband's passport number and point out that he travelled out and back on the same booking as you. Give the Aer Lingus booking reference if you can dig it out.

The advance passenger information (API) you entered on the booking should have been sent by Aer Lingus to them and would have included passport details for all of you, it's strange that he was clocked out and you were not.

Yes I have emailed them via site showing the history of the 4 of us from their website which gives passport numbers and dates of entry and exit (no exit in my case). I have also quoted Flight no. and time and date and sent screenshot of my Aer Lingus bill with names and dates etc. It's gas - I am one of those people who organises everything to the nth degree before travel so that there can be no hiccups - never thought anything would turn up at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I got the same email a month or so ago.
    I was in D.C. for a few days and my departure never got clocked on the way home (it was an overbooked flight, I was on a standby ticket and I only got a seat at the very last minute).

I haven't got around to sorting it out yet. I'll fire off a mail later and post the outcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Who exactly did you email to get this sorted out? I too haven't been checked out of the US. I flew to Mexico and was so sure the emigration official scanned me out but my i-94 says I still havent left. Feel free to PM the email address if necessary.

I just emailed through the Contact Details at the bottom of the I94 website page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

coylemj wrote: »
    Did you fly home and if so, which airline? Did you show your passport to any US immigration official (not the airline) when departing?

CBP don't have physical exit checks - they rely on airlines to record exits.

Thanks circular flexing - sent Aer Lingus an email - no reply; then sent them a Facebook message - they replied and they are checking it out for me.

Phoebas & Time to shine - did either of you follow up on the email? I replied to it 10 days ago and sent three other emails in the meantime but have heard nothing - countdown timer says this is my last permitted day in the US! They say in one place that it takes 10-15 business days generally to reply and more when busier; in another place they say they try to reply within 72 hours. I rang the US Embassy here and having listened to all their Press 1 and Press 2 instructions, they then say they "can't deal with any ESTA /Visa query. Goodbye."

Found Aer Lingus extremely difficult to deal with. One staff member on their phoneline told me there is no Customer Service Dept in Aer Lingus - it shows! Eventually got an email out of them confirming I'd flown home.

Phoebas & Time to shine - did either of you follow up on the email?
    I got the automated reply but nothing else.

Eventually I filled out on online form from the website.
    https://trip.dhs.gov/TRIP/Form/TripForm

From this I got a 'Redress Control Number'. With this I could go to a case status page (https://trip.dhs.gov/TRIP/Home/CaseStatus) where my case is 'Pending Paperwork'.
    They wanted me to email them an identification document. I emailed them a copy of my passport identification page (just got around to it today), so now I'll just wait for a while and see if they get back to me or if the status of my case changes.

It's a bit of a process....

Thanks phoebas - will try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Definitely airlines fault, your departure should have been recorded on their flight manifest that transfers to CBP. CBP don't have any checks on departure. Only interaction with US officials when leaving US is with the TSA, who are basically glorified airport security.

I'd be worried this will impact on you ever being approved for an esta/visa again, as you will technically be showing as an overstayer on CBP's system. Bit of a nightmare.

That's exactly what i am worried about.

phoebas - any word back on your TRIP enquiry? Mine still says 'pending paperwork'.

phoebas - any word back on your TRIP enquiry? Mine still says 'pending paperwork'.

Me too.
    I submitted my request 13 days ago. The automated reply says to 'allow ten to fifteen business days for a reply', so I'll give it another while.

:):):)Yippee - my Travel History has been updated showing I left the USA on the 27th August :):):)

• Advertisement

:):):)Yippee - my Travel History has been updated showing I left the USA on the 27th August :):):)

Official notification received today!
    We have verified your travel and confirmed that you departed on August XX, 2018. No further action is necessary.
    Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Advertisement