Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sydney NYE

Options
  • 05-11-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Did anyone visited Sydney for New Years Eve?

I would like to know if it's worth to pay extra for better spot to see the fireworks?

I have found this map: https://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/

Any tips???

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

https://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/

That tells you where you can go etc - and you can buy tickets

I recommend just buying a ticket to a good spot, sitting out on the grass somewhere and enjoying the time your your friends/family. Weather will be lovely and its a really great fun night

Its very much one of them things where spending money to a supposed premium spot (a boat on the harbour etc) is actually not going to make you enjoy it any more. Id suggest watching from the zoo, that way you have toilets, you can buy drinks and decent food

I used live there and we'd rock up to a quiet beach but tbh if your only visiting and no local knowledge it would be a nightmare trying to find somewhere suitable, close to 1.5m people are in the city for NYE

Have a ball !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Bandara wrote: »

Have a ball !

Thank you.

Do you know if I will buy a ticket can I get there lets say 10pm or I need to be there from early morning.

Information on a website is little bit confusing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciaramcd227

Whatever you do, please avoid the city like the plague! It's overcrowded and you will not get the view you envisioned in your mind. 2 years ago we were beside the Opera House at Circular Quay and it was horrendous. It was free entry but there was families EVERYWHERE, crying babies to the left and right of us who stayed for the kids show at 9pm AND the midnight show. It was honestly not enjoyable. You're also not able to bring in alcohol, your bags get searched and security walk up and down the areas patrolling it. Avoid the city at all costs - it's honestly not worth the headache. It's an absolute nightmare at the best of times to get in and out of, so imagine what it would be like on NYE!

I recommend you go to Dudley Paige Reserve which is in North Bondi. For a small fee, you get the BEST view of the city in Sydney and will see the fireworks from all angles. There is also food trucks and pop up bars there as well and you can also stroll down to Bondi Beach afterwards for drinks if you wish to carry on the celebrations.

Unfortunately I can't provide links as I'm a new user but if you google "Dudley Paige Reserve NYE" the first website will provide all the info you need & a link to buy tickets should you decide to go!

Looks like something for me.

"You may enter at anytime as there is loads of room for everyone!"

I would like to be there about 10pm. Grab something to eat, see the fireworks and be gone after that.

Thank you for the tip.

Tickets are in reasonable price so probably will buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ciaramcd227

Greg81 wrote: »
    Looks like something for me.

"You may enter at anytime as there is loads of room for everyone!"

I would like to be there about 10pm. Grab something to eat, see the fireworks and be gone after that.

Thank you for the tip.

Tickets are in reasonable price so probably will buy.

Hmm....because theres a kiddies show at 9pm, more than likely you may need to be at your chosen location well before this. But do some research and find out. I would assume if it's a ticketed location you should be ok to go at any time, but do your research none the less as you wouldn't want to be left disappointed on the night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'd deffo be aiming to be in place by 6pm latest

its a great atmosphere with people chatting and having fun, you won't be bored !

Bandara wrote: »
    I'd deffo be aiming to be in place by 6pm latest

its a great atmosphere with people chatting and having fun, you won't be bored !

I am not afraid to be bored. My problem is i will be in Sydney area only for 3 full days and would like to see as many places as possible so time is crucial for me. Need to manage it as best as I can. After that I am heading towards Cairns.

Anyway I will do my best and already know that I will not see everything that I have on my list.

Maybe next time :)

Thank you for all the tips. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

People start camping out at first light, if not before in their spot. New Years day can have temperatures in the 30's to low 40's. So be prepared to sit in the elements, hot or cold all day to keep your spot.

Advertisement