Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tin Whistle question

Options
  • 05-11-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

My daughter bought an all pink Walton's Tin Whistle (in the key of D) for learning tin whistle in school.

Her music teacher told her last week that she needs to buy a new tin whistle (with a different coloured mouth piece to the rest of the tin whistle), because the ones that are all one colour go out of tune quicker.

I've never heard that the colour can make a difference. Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

There's some sort of miscommunication between what the teacher told your daughter and what your daughter then related to you. Call the teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 midlandor

Thanks for the reply guitarhappy!

I couldn't believe it to be honest (I can imagine a tin whistle going out of tune if it got a few belts and got damaged, but this one was perfect), so I did go in and talk to the teacher.

It's a music teacher that comes into the school though, and I only got to speak to her class teacher, but the class teacher confirmed that the music teacher did say that the tin whistles that are all one colour aren't as good as the others.

I agreed to just buy the new tin whistle off the music teacher (it was the easiest option), but I was curious to know if others felt the same way, as I'd never heard that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

midlandor wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guitarhappy!

I couldn't believe it to be honest (I can imagine a tin whistle going out of tune if it got a few belts and got damaged, but this one was perfect), so I did go in and talk to the teacher.

It's a music teacher that comes into the school though, and I only got to speak to her class teacher, but the class teacher confirmed that the music teacher did say that the tin whistles that are all one colour aren't as good as the others.

I agreed to just buy the new tin whistle off the music teacher (it was the easiest option), but I was curious to know if others felt the same way, as I'd never heard that before.

I think there might be a bit of lost in translation here..

What I suspect your music teacher is saying is that; the all one colour ones are also all one piece, meaning they can’t be tuned. And if it’s all one piece it’s probably not in tune. Very very few are.

The ones with different colour heads are in fact 2 piece ones. And so can be tuned by sliding the head slightly off the body. (They’re usually glued tight but can be separated by melting the glue in some hot water)

Interesting! Thanks for that Rayfitzharris. That makes sense!!

This is what she had (top doesn't seem to come off easily, but I gave up quickly). It is quite likely to be all one piece - just made to look like it's in 2 pieces:

https://www.easons.com/waltons-rainbow-whistle-pink-pack-1500009

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'd be surprised if kids that age are getting into tuning their whistles. I'd imagine it was simply a case of don't buy the cheap pink ones as they're not as good a standard as regular tin whistles - or something like that.

• Advertisement

I think so noby.

The funny thing is, the second one she bought was the same price as the original one.

But it is interesting all the same!!

Thanks everyone for your comments/input

Advertisement