Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby camera/monitor

• 05-11-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We currently have a motorolla baby monitor. The range is shocking on it and the thing needs to be permanently plugged in on both ends for it to function correctly.
    We are looking for a baby monitor and have been thinking perhaps something like a go pro that can live feed to a smart phone might be a better option.
    Has anyone done this or have any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

We have this Motorola one which we got for our first, which we were very happy with http://amzn.eu/gliv136 (no issues with range in the house and battery life isn't terrible, 2 years on, on the parent unit)

With no.2 we decided to get another video monitor and went for something significantly cheaper. It works quite and has a much crisper picture (albeit with a bit more lag time) than the Motorola one: http://amzn.eu/7nPVxke.

It's an IP/WiFi camera, no dedicated 'parent unit', you just download the app onto your phone/tablet and connect the camera to your WiFi. Means you can also view it while out & about (not that you'd be leaving them unattended or anything!!). It's not perfect, issues with having to restart the app and the odd time having to re-add the camera to the WiFi network, but very cost effective!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

tobdom wrote: »
    We have this Motorola one which we got for our first, which we were very happy with http://amzn.eu/gliv136 (no issues with range in the house and battery life isn't terrible, 2 years on, on the parent unit)

With no.2 we decided to get another video monitor and went for something significantly cheaper. It works quite and has a much crisper picture (albeit with a bit more lag time) than the Motorola one: http://amzn.eu/7nPVxke.

It's an IP/WiFi camera, no dedicated 'parent unit', you just download the app onto your phone/tablet and connect the camera to your WiFi. Means you can also view it while out & about (not that you'd be leaving them unattended or anything!!). It's not perfect, issues with having to restart the app and the odd time having to re-add the camera to the WiFi network, but very cost effective!

Thanks for that. That is the Motorola we have. The battery is shocking for us. It beeps after 5 minutes and continues to do that until you plug it back in.range is a shocker also. Must be a faulty one we have.

The second option is exactly what we are looking for. Can you see the baby if you were outside of WiFi range but had interment connection on your phone or does it have to be on the same WiFi network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

seannash wrote: »
    The second option is exactly what we are looking for. Can you see the baby if you were outside of WiFi range but had interment connection on your phone or does it have to be on the same WiFi network?

Yes, once your home WiFi network is 'on the internet' (which will usually always be the case), you will be able to view the camera on your phone app from anywhere, as long as you have a data connection (mobile data or another WiFi/internet connection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Sound like I may have same one as you OP.
    Did you check the battery charge icon goes up to full on your monitor when plugged in?
    Have you used it a lot / second hand?
    Mine acts the same, but whenever I put in new no recharge able batteries, it could last for much longer.
    I'll probably but new rechargable batteries for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sound like I may have same one as you OP.
    Did you check the battery charge icon goes up to full on your monitor when plugged in?
    Have you used it a lot / second hand?
    Mine acts the same, but whenever I put in new no recharge able batteries, it could last for much longer.
    I'll probably but new rechargable batteries for it.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestion. The unit is brand new and only been used for the past 6 months. But I'll check with normal batteries when I can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement