Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractor driving with provisional licence

• 05-11-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hello

I am hoping to work on my uncles farm in a 2 months time but he said I need to be able to drive his tractors on roads.
    I dont have any license currently but I am hoping to to do my theory test soon. I was wondering if I get the provisional license will I be allowed to drive his tractor on roads and if not what do I have to do to be able to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

May 2018
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/does-a-tractor-driver-with-a-learner-permit-need-to-be-accompanied/
    There is no requirement for a learner to have a qualified accompanying driver for the A categories – motorbikes – or for the W category, which covers tractors.
    I read this as - you do not needed to be accompanied in a tractor.
    Not a lawyer though...

You are getting a W licence yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

biko wrote: »
    May 2018
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/does-a-tractor-driver-with-a-learner-permit-need-to-be-accompanied/

Not a lawyer though...

I recall reading before on the independent that if a tractor has a second seat installed then you must have a qualified driver, if it doesnt have a second seat then you dont. Seems a bit daft to me tbh.

Heres the link:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/machinery/do-provisional-licence-drivers-need-a-qualified-driver-with-them-in-a-tractor-35557804.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

How does insurance cover work out here?
    Can a 16 year old with absolutely no driving experience take a big modern tractor out on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It amazes me that a child with no driving experience whatsoever can legally drive an enormous 400HP rig with a total GVW similar to an artic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

ratracer wrote: »
    Can a 16 year old with absolutely no driving experience take a big modern tractor out on the road?

Simply yes....

• Advertisement

Simply yes....

That's Ireland for ya :pac: Meanwhile I struggle to get quotes on a 1.2 litre with a full license. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ratracer wrote: »

It was all the craze during the boom for 16 year olds to bring the massive tractor down the town, cheap insurance and fuel what could go wrong. At least the modern tractors have brakes and lights, when I was young it was 12/13 to be driving on the road and you were lucky to have brakes or lights.

BTW a 17 year old with zero experience can drive a car on the road, they require someone to sit beside them but unless dual controlled they 2nd person can't do much.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

biko wrote: »
    May 2018

Not a lawyer though...

can you just get a w learners permit do you know?

or do you have to do something else that covers it?

can you just get a w learners permit do you know?

or do you have to do something else that covers it?

You could always get a W provisional. Went in the day I went 16.
    Was on a Moxy through Kilcock that week.

Must be able to still as theres no other licence you can get at 16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Must be able to still as theres no other licence you can get at 16
    There is - categories AM and A1 can be got at aged 16.

• Advertisement

There is - categories AM and A1 can be got at aged 16.
    Ah right. Not big ones in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

does anyone know if the theory test is the same for w provisional as for a car provisional?

does anyone know how long it takes to get your results for the theory test and how long it takes for you to get your provisional license after the theory test and after applying for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

does anyone know if the theory test is the same for w provisional as for a car provisional?

does anyone know how long it takes to get your results for the theory test and how long it takes for you to get your provisional license after the theory test and after applying for it?
    Yes, and instant

How does one get insurance for a tractor??

Yep W and B are the same, and you get the results once the test is over, the supervisor gives them to you when you walk out.

For the provisional, you need to go to the NDLS with the completed paperwork (Requirements will be on the application form you can get in the theory test center) and your theory test pass cert. Once you hand them into the NDLS, pay the fee, you should have your license in 5 - 8 working days afterwards.

ELM327 wrote: »

How does one get insurance for a tractor??

Generally as part of the farm insurance.

But FBD do one off. Did on a 25 year old Ford last year anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... you should have your license in 5 - 8 working days afterwards.
    Learner Permit ;)

Learner Permit ;)

Thanks for the correction :pac: :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

jimgoose wrote: »
    It amazes me that a child with no driving experience whatsoever can legally drive an enormous 400HP rig with a total GVW similar to an artic.

In fairness, you'd be hard pressed to find any/many reports of road traffic accidents involving 16 and 17 year olds driving tractors.
    By the time they're that age, nearly all of them would have safety drilled into them from working around the likes of PTOs, slurry pits and shotguns.
    Most 16 year old farmer's sons or daughters that I know, who've worked on the farm as they grew up, would have been more dependable than many of the people I worked with when in my 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Are you sure you should be taking time of from your studies in medicinal chemistry to go work on your uncles farm?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057922816

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pizzathis

The most scariest thing I’ve seen on the roads of Ireland .a teenager driving a huge tractor with a 20 tonne trailer and a mobile phone stuck to his ear . I drive for a living how on earth this is allowed on our roads is beyond me . I read somewhere last year senator Tim Lombard (Fine Gael) was calling for a change in the law regarding Tractor road Safety.I don’t see any as yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement