Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Contract Renewal notice

Options
  • 05-11-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

According to myEir, my contract is up on November 22nd. But I still have not received any correspondence from Eir about a renewal or new offers!

Is this normal? Who do I contact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

chewed wrote: »
    According to myEir, my contract is up on November 22nd. But I still have not received any correspondence from Eir about a renewal or new offers!

completely normal,
    if you don't contact them the contract just continues on a rolling 30 day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

bennyl10 wrote: »

completely normal,
    if you don't contact them the contract just continues on a rolling 30 day basis.
    I thought that was illegal?  I assumed you had to inform the customer of any renewal and allow them to make a decision before agreeing.

is there anyone from Eir that would care to respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

completely normal,
    I thought that was illegal?  I assumed you had to inform the customer of any renewal and allow them to make a decision before agreeing.
    Its not renewed so no notice must be given. You simply stay on the same tariff you are already on until you decide to call up and change or move.
    Pretty standard practice across  most utility industries. Probably due to the fact that if they don't remind you the contract is up a lot of people will simply just continue on for a lot longer than their original contract.
    If you are aware your contract is up just give them a call. The offer wont be better or worse if you wait for them to contact you (Which they more than likely wont)

seannash wrote: »

completely normal,
    Its not renewed so no notice must be given. You simply stay on the same tariff you are already on until you decide to call up and change or move.
    Pretty standard practice across  most utility industries. Probably due to the fact that if they don't remind you the contract is up a lot of people will simply just continue on for a lot longer than their original contract.
    If you are aware your contract is up just give them a call. The offer wont be better or worse if you wait for them to contact you (Which they more than likely wont)
    Thanks. Would love to talk to someone in Eir! Tried their online chat to be told to call 1901. Called 1901.....still on the call 15 minutes waiting to talk to anyone! Maybe this it their new policy...Keep people on contracts and make sure they can't contact Eir to cancel. 

• Advertisement

18 minutes waiting and the phone eventually disconnects! Jesus, what a cr@ppy service!  

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Thanks. Would love to talk to someone in Eir! Tried their online chat to be told to call 1901. Called 1901.....still on the call 15 minutes waiting to talk to anyone! Maybe this it their new policy...Keep people on contracts and make sure they can't contact Eir to cancel. 

As has already been stated, its standard policy among any utilities I've encountered to continue a contract on a rolling 30 day basis. They'd much rather continue it this way.

You don't need to contact them, if you're not happy with the service you're free to make a move to another provider.

As has already been stated, its standard policy among any utilities I've encountered to continue a contract on a rolling 30 day basis. They'd much rather continue it this way.

You don't need to contact them, if you're not happy with the service you're free to make a move to another provider.
    I would love to move to another provider, but I can't seem to find anyone else that will give me the same FTTH speeds that eir provides. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I would love to move to another provider, but I can't seem to find anyone else that will give me the same FTTH speeds that eir provides. 
    Its difficult because the majority of other company's rent the physical line from eircom and simply try to provide the same speed. Most of the time its the line that's the real issue for speed not the provider so switching providers doesn't really have any affect.
    Where it does come into play is if you have a fault on the line. Eircom are quicker to repair their own customers lines rather than the company's who rent from them.
    If your looking for improved speeds you'll need something like magnet (If available) Smart broadband were great, they still rented the line off eircom but they had their own exchange which was able to give better speeds. Not sure if they are still available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

completely normal,

A lot of people who switched to Eir will be on a "discounted" rate. The contract will be 12 months at €XX but after that it goes up to the "normal rate" of €YY but that can be cancelled with 30days notice.
    It can be an extra €30pm after the 12 months so be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi chewed, 

I've responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They're minimum term contracts. The minimum term expired. That just means you're free to terminate your relationship by porting to an other operator or by closing your account

If you want to enter a new minimum term contract for some kind of special offer discount you can also do that.

None of the utilities structure their contracts to just end entirely after X months, only the minimum term commitment ends. If they did that your end up with people getting cut off if they didn't explicitly renew every X months.

Advertisement