Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stair Gates for Junior / Retractable Gate

• 05-11-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Our stairs are quite narrow and the gates that we got are for stairs that are 73cm and its too tight to fit them, for non screw gates. Tried to squeeze it but just not secure and don’t want a timber experience. At the moment we have chairs in front of the stairs but Junior figuring it out how to pull them apart. Was looking at the retractable gates but they aint cheap https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6689339 and wondering if anyone has these are they any good or do we just stick with the chairs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Our stairs are quite narrow and the gates that we got are for stairs that are 73cm and its too tight to fit them, for non screw gates. Tried to squeeze it but just not secure and don’t want a timber experience. At the moment we have chairs in front of the stairs but Junior figuring it out how to pull them apart. Was looking at the retractable gates but they aint cheap https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6689339 and wondering if anyone has these are they any good or do we just stick with the chairs?

I don’t have a stair gate on my stairs at all. My stairs are wide with winders so I can’t get a secure fit. It’s safer if I just watch him! I did have a playpen for my older boy which I found great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Millem wrote: »
    I don’t have a stair gate on my stairs at all. My stairs are wide with winders so I can’t get a secure fit. It’s safer if I just watch him! I did have a playpen for my older boy which I found great.

Oh we watch him like a hawk but downstairs open plan and if in the kitchen the sly fox has been known to climb faster than a bear up a tree full of honey 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh we watch him like a hawk but downstairs open plan and if in the kitchen the sly fox has been known to climb faster than a bear up a tree full of honey 😄

I have a baby gate on my kitchen door. It’s actually for the dogs ;)
    Would that work?

Millem wrote: »
    I have a baby gate on my kitchen door. It’s actually for the dogs ;)
    Would that work?

Yeah dogs would keep him occupied.. All baby gates to wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t have stair gates either, I just watched him for a good while, and now I know he’s well able to manage the stairs. I keep the doors closed upstairs of rooms that aren’t child friendly, and I have a gate on the bathroom door. Unless you got a longer fire guard or something, and put it around the end somehow- It depends on your layout though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

The BabyDan retractable is great and also folds back neatly unlike the obstruction of a stair gate!

maxsmum wrote: »
    The BabyDan retractable is great and also folds back neatly unlike the obstruction of a stair gate!

That's something that we are looking for but want to avoid the issue of having to drill holes in the wall.

Still looking as although stairs blocked junior beginning to suss out how to get up:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

That's something that we are looking for but want to avoid the issue of having to drill holes in the wall.

Still looking as although stairs blocked junior beginning to suss out how to get up:rolleyes:
    Honestly the holes are the only drawback. We think they're just great...freeflow walking throughout the house...no bruises to the shins from stairgates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just teach them to use the stairs. Never used gates at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've only ever put gates at the top. Left them open. Always encouraged my son to close them when he got onto the landing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement