Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gauging demand (wedding)

• 05-11-2018 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I hope this is the right place. So, in 10 months' time I will be getting married. It is a DIY bar so completely stocked by our good selves. I have come into a very good deal on spirits.

Guest list: 130-140 (majority heavy drinkers)

My line of thinking (700ml):
    12 Jameson
    12 Vodka
    12 Gin
    4 Tequila
    4 Sambucca
    4 Captain Morgan
    4 Jagermeister
    Special: 5 Jameson Caskmates (extremely good deal)

The main thing is to not run out of alcholol but not bankrupt ourselves. It won't be an open bar.

Am I way off?

Not including wine and beer yet. The deal encountered expedited the spirit purchasing!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

How are ye running the bar?Is there a BYOB aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Add 4 Bacardi... seems bit low on rum.

You sure about the shots bottles?

Maybe some Baileys needed also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irishboars

sasta le wrote: »
    How are ye running the bar?Is there a BYOB aswell

No byob.

Organised 2 bar staff to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's plenty, 20 shots a bottle. Not doing the maths but should be plenty. Pints are more of a wedding thing with a few G&T's to keep ye going. Buckfast for memories sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,636 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Over stock on stuff that ye will drink or use at home. That will give you a buffer so less likely to run out but wont go to waste.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Over stock on stuff that ye will drink or use at home. That will give you a buffer so less likely to run out but wont go to waste.

Exactly my logic.

That also has me thinking bottles over any keg option. May annoy a few Guinness drinkers though! Cannot please all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It seems like a lot of whiskey. In my experience working in bars it would only be a minority who would drink whiskey and a mixer. I'd sub some of them out and get a few bottles of Bacardi and maybe a few Southern Comfort.

As said, I would question the need for so many shots. People might end up whopped very quickly. If you insist on shots I'd get a few tamer varieties for people who don't really like hard spirits either, something like Mickey Finns or Sourz.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of whiskey. In my experience working in bars it would only be a minority who would drink whiskey and a mixer. I'd sub some of them out and get a few bottles of Bacardi and maybe a few Southern Comfort.

As said, I would question the need for so many shots. People might end up whopped very quickly. If you insist on shots I'd get a few tamer varieties for people who don't really like hard spirits either, something like Mickey Finns or Sourz.

Cheers.

My family would be big whiskey drinkers so need to err on side of caution!

We budgeted 3,000, currently standing at 3,290.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AdrianLM

Maybe consider how many non drinkers are going to be there, we allowed for about 25%, Older relations who don't drink or drink very little, people driving etc. you'd be surprised. Also, might be worth taking a trip up north for that much booze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Add 4 Bacardi... seems bit low on rum.

Maybe some Baileys needed also.
    Yep, capt. morgan is spiced rum, very different from bacardi which older people would be used to.

I would not bother with tequila, jager, sambuca, unless you want it to be a puke/loudmouth fest. Or at least get less.

Vodka is the safest best, most will drink it if any of those others ran out.

Not sure why you would go 12 jameson and no other whiskey whatsoever.

Baileys mentioned, there is not a single bottle of brandy but 4 sambuca?

I would imagine you would go through more vodka that gin, so should not be equal. And as I said I could picture gin drinkers making do with vodka, but often not vice versa.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Yep, capt. morgan is spiced rum, very different from bacardi which older people would be used to.

I would not bother with tequila, jager, sambuca, unless you want it to be a puke/loudmouth fest. Or at least get less.

Vodka is the safest best, most will drink it if any of those others ran out.

Not sure why you would go 12 jameson and no other whiskey whatsoever.

Baileys mentioned, there is not a single bottle of brandy but 4 sambuca?

I would imagine you would go through more vodka that gin, so should not be equal. And as I said I could picture gin drinkers making do with vodka, but often not vice versa.

Excellent point, thanks.

I am aware that I won't please everyone (regarding choice - not a 'full' bar). I guess I want people to have choice, that doesn't mean I want people to be skulling a bottle of Jager before dinner!

Would people advise getting a keg? The bar can be easily set up for this but after deciding to go down that route, I think bottles may be in order (headache having half a keg left over etc.)

As I said, I am sourcing spirits from a very good outlet so I need to order asap.

We like Jameson, so if there's a few bottles left over it will be used!

Budgeted 200 euro for soft drinks/mixers etc which may need to be expanded.

It is a difficult one to judge. I am planning on a 65% uptake on whatever is bought. The rest can always be used after. The main thing is not to run out....!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Kegs are a handling unless you have access to taps, gas and chillers. You can hire these but they add a lost of cost and are nowhere near as good value as bottles. Also, as you say, you'll likely end up with half filled kegs at the end which will be hard to get rid of unless you know a pub which will take them and give you a few quid back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've had kegs at a few private functions, I've never ended up with a half full one :D
    If people know there's pints in it it will be drank.

Advertisement