Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Do you have a CPS1 or CPS2 kick hardness already? Mistercade accepts both of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh as simple as that? Brill! Yeah I've a cps1 kick harness wired up, didn't really occur to me that it'd just go straight into the MiSTercade board.

Master of the Universe

Just got a text from Fedex to say that'll be delivered on Friday. Expensive post but wow, totally worth it for the speed of delivery.

Did you guys have to have cash ready to go at the door for the import fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Fedex will send you a text to pay the import charges via a link usually when it hits Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

They’ll deliver without you paying, I thought I paid mine but just got a threatening letter asking me to pay an overdue invoice

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Yeah delivery is due today and absolutely nothing about paying any import duties... I've PTSD from UPS arriving at my door demanding cash before handing the package over 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,475 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Lot of that can come from the attached contact details via the shipper. As in, if your email address is associated, you may get a payment request during the shipment process, but if not, you could get a letter a month down the line or something requesting/demanding payment.

That said, some can slip through the cracks I suppose, as I've certainly got one other two items in the past and managed to avoid. Certainly remember cobbling cash together in the good old days for the postman......what a pain in the arse 😄

Might be UPS that are the real pain nowadays as I don't think they have an online payment system in place unless you have a business account or shipper account. Not 100%. So you're left with either sending a cheque, doing a bank transfer or cold grubby cash.

Master of the Universe

Bastarding thing still hasn't arrived unfortunately! I may have spoken too soon re my faith in Fedex getting it to me when they said they would 😮

Master of the Universe

Connected it all up this evening, no luck yet :(

Stuck it into the SNK cabinet - It powers on, I can see the menu screen with the static background so the boards are working, but I have a vsync issue with a rolling picture and cannot for the life of me find a vsync pot on the monitors chassis to make an adjustment (there's no remote board unfortunately). Played around with some vsync options in the mister.ini file to no luck.

It's hard to tell with the rolling picture, but it potentially looks like the controls are not responsive. This was actually my biggest worry as I've had issues in the past with multi boards and this cabinet not detecting controls.

I can see lots of troubleshooting this weekend!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It works! Someone shared a 15k mister.ini file over on UKVAC, threw it on and it stopped rolling. Hurrah! Have sticks but no buttons, there's hope...

There's a github repository with all the ini files and config mappings you'll need for MisterCade. I don't think I needed to change much once I got these mappings installed.

GitHub - misteraddons/MiSTercade: MiSTer FPGA JAMMA adapter

Master of the Universe

Figured it all out. This is absolutely amazing.

Just realised I've no sound but I don't care, still amazing :D

The menu picture quality was a bit messy and interferency, but once the cores boot up they might as well be an arcade PCB, look stunning!

Few quick photos which don't look nearly as good as they do in person, but just to show some evidence of it functioning!

Would you recommend a MiSTercade ?

Master of the Universe

From what I've seen so far I think it's going to be my default go to with this machine, so I'd give it a huge thumbs up.

A big caveat though, I'm not an emulation man so don't really have too much experience with Hyperspin and the likes and I've only gotten the Megadrive core working at the moment (figured out the sound now too).

But so far I'm really blown away by the video quality displaying on this monitor. My main worry was that there'd be interference or distortion/scrrolling issues with it but it's just absolutely perfect. Played through Sonic 1 a bit there which I know inside out beat by beat and it's spot on.

Going to take a lot more configuring and playing around with but I'm delighted to use it as a base, definitely a step closer to me selling my arcade boards to make a bit of space. (which is the ultimate compliment really!)

Price wise it's pretty hefty though. You might get a setup just as good via a different means, as I'm fairly new to emulating on these machines I haven't a lot to compare it to. From what I've seen of Hyperspin, MiSTer is definitely lacking front end wise compared to that, but to be honest it feels more like a purist dev tool kind of thing (reminds me a little of the Retrotink menu wise) than a fancy gaming front end device.

Master of the Universe

Well that didn't last long, just did something unbelievably stupid. Have to laugh.

In my haste to attach the mounting plate and get it all done and dusted, I removed the DE10 from the MiSTercade without removing the micro USB bridgE between the two. Completely forgot it was there.

This broke the micro USB port off the DE10 Nano.

Thought I was grand as there are two mini USB ports, but it looks like you can't use them for data.

Excuse me while I go and scream in the garden.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

How bad's the damage? Could it be soldered back on?

Master of the Universe

Yep, completely clean break. Port looks perfect too, just snapped the two solder points where it connected to the board. Wonder would a phone shop be able to solder it back on actually? Would say it's something they do all the time repairing phone charging ports.

Yea, a phone repair place could fix it easily but I'd not say they would be cheapest.

Master of the Universe

Lynch.ie computer repair in Temple Bar seem to be getting good reviews, will pop into them on Saturday and see what they think.

If I do manage to get it fixed, I think I may replace that solid USB bridge with a cabled version instead to avoid future incidents...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Eek, there is a place I know in blanch who’ll probably be able to fix it for you if they can’t do it PM me, not easy to get to by public transport though.

anyone with a hot air station should be able to fix it for you once no pads are lifted

Master of the Universe

Much appreciated thanks! Will see how I get on this weekend and let you know.

If you run out of options, I'd be happy to look at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah those USB ports are incredibly fragile, lots of people have damaged them. Happy to help repair as well if you're stuck

Master of the Universe

No greater bunch of lads have ever existed on the internet, thanks all!

I have a phone repair shop a 5 minute walk from my place that I've only just remembered, so we'll see what they say/can do. Might be a raised eyebrow and a 'what the **** is that?' but sure we'll see :D

I was actually in touch with the guy who makes the MiSTercade too and he's absolutely lovely, said if I wanted to post it over to him he'd fix it too. Then I remembered he's in the US so it would cost a fortune, still lovely to offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Porkchop express aka misteraddons seems really good to deal with.

Still temped by the mistercade and glad you got a brief glimpse of what's it's capable of, update_all script will give you more access to stuff every week.

Like this week:

Colour Genie (EG2000) Computer Core Released

The Colour Genie was released in 1982. It was an attractive machine, with a solid full-stroke keyboard and 16K BASIC in ROM. As well as the 63-key typewriter keyboard and powerful BASIC, it featured the trusty Z-80, running at 2.2 MHz, 16k-32k of RAM, 3 channels of sound, 8 colours (4 for text), 40 columns x 24 rows for text (initially) and 160 x 102 pixels for graphics.

Never would have played any of these computers/consoles

https://rmcretro.store/multisystem-board-only/

MultiSystem back in stock. Go! Go! Go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Same again here today, think I'll can the order and just go with terrasic myself

• Advertisement

Mines here ready for delivery either tomorrow or Monday, they don't mess around....very quick turnaround. Stung for vat tho, such is the way.

Advertisement