Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Good question. I know there's some heavy-hitter names like Jotego, Furrtek, FPGAzumSpass, etc...and their work is often seen as S-Tier. When it comes to work outside of this tier, I'm not sure how quality/standards are checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Jotego has his own framework for integrating cores into Mister that other devs use.

For core dev, you can usually import other people’s implementations of CPUs and other custom hardware as modules where needed.

I don’t think there’s coding standards as such, but Jotego in particular goes deep on analysing the boards he’s making implementations of.

That’s usually the “best”, but other people could just implement thing poorly with low accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,099 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think the Konami Aliens core is due to be released by Jotego today, will have a check when I am home from work.

I am assuming everyone else will be too busy playing Tears of the Kingdom 😁

Master of the Universe

Boo, Aliens was beta only, not on public release as of yet. Too lazy to be installing it manually. 😁

Anyone else been dipping their toes into this?

My next project now is a vertical MiSTer setup in the Pony cabinet. I've a replacement PSU on the way for that machine so once it arrives and it plays nice with my current MiSTercade I'll pick up another DE10.

Need to do a bit of reading up to see how the OSD etc plays with a vertical orientation. I am hoping there's an option to edit the INI somewhere so it follows the screen orientation of the game.

An ini change is all it take! There's a sample ini file in the Mistercade Github repo.

I wish I had another cab for a vert setup myself! One day!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Excellent, exactly what I was hoping for! Quite excited to try that out now, really are a lot of very very good shmups on MiSTer.

You've a nice big space for it in that shed I'm sure, start saving 😁

Reckon if you were going for a second would you aim for another Aero or pick up something a bit different?

It’s more the availability of nice Candy cabs than the fund at this stage!

I think I’ll get something different this time, but maybe still Sega, even though two Aeros side by side would look nice.

Yeah, Battle Garegga on Mister for starters!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

So...is there a way to get MiSTer with a MiSTercade to rotate vertical games for those of us who have a YOKO setup and don't want to TATE? :D might just be a feature of the MiSTer producing a 'as intended' video signal with no processing etc. with an analog output.

My guess is no, it can only do that via the HDMI output.

Your suspicions are correct I’m afraid.

Master of the Universe

Literally my favourite shmup. Sometimes I stick it on just to listen to the soundtrack. 😁

Yeah MiSTer seems to be all about creating a 1 to 1 arcade board experience with zero post processing or 'friendly' additions like picture rotation. Some vertical games even display flipped the opposite way so you need to rotate your monitor counter clockwise.

My main 'missing' feature at the moment is high scores. Really wish Jotego would work to implement them, particularly in shmups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I was looking at a switch that would flip the yoke connection wires.

Master of the Universe

I'm surprised this isn't something you see on more cabinets to be honest. Didn't even know it was a potential solution until I read about it very recently.

I finally figured out how to tell the update_all script to download to external storage, and threw on a few games over FTP to test. What an amazing piece of hardware, and how lucky we are to have decades of greatness preserved so brilliantly like this. Next step is to begin loading up the drive with desired content...a task I hate doing is curating libraries for various systems. Thankfully, Launchbox has a wonderful feature that lets you export a folder of games per system, so I should make light work of it that way.

Master of the Universe

It's actually ridiculous how versatile it is with some configuration. I know I said it before but wirelessly transferring files over FTP to a unit inside an arcade cabinet is just amazing. After getting a wireless dongle that works I don't think I've actually taken any of it out of the cabinet since. Just no need to now.

Yeah I went the lazy route and just threw on full romsets of the consoles I'm running on it, no curating as of yet. Plenty of sports and mahjong games that need to be deleted. 😁

@Inviere have you looked at RetroNAS? It creates all the folders accepted by the MiSTer

Looks interesting, cheers Ed. For this unit though, it's a MiSTer Multisystem which has provision for an internal ssd inside the case so I'm going that route. I do have an Unraid Server here which serves up 90% of my roms, but for the Mister I want it consolised and fully independent

Master of the Universe

What controllers are you using with your Multisystem actually as a matter of interest?

Currently really only still in testing/config phase, so standard Xbox one controller. I'm very tempted by the new "Slice" addon they've revealed lately though, with more to follow. When I get to actually using the thing for serious gameplay, it'll be original controllers either with the Slice or the various SNAC adapters

CTRL Dock is the correct term, you get buy it with a printed shell to fit to the bottom of the Multisystem as a Slice - https://shop.retrocollective.co.uk/ctrldock-classic-se-joystick-adapter/

• Advertisement

Rip jamma expander, pop the magic dragon smoke, not sure what I did wrong. Time to get a MiSTercade.

Yeah pretty sure I put in the jamma connector in backwards, whoops haha

One annoying thing about Mister, is how everything seems so fragmented. I'm looking for the latest unstable/nightly Neo Geo core here....it leads me to Discord. Think I can find it on Discord? Not a chance. Can I find it on Github? Nope. Can I find it on the Web? Nope. It's out there, I just have no idea where it is or where to get it. Whoever thought Discord was the proper place to document this stuff?? It's one giant Whatsapp message.

Master of the Universe

The moment Discord is involved in downloading anything I just stop looking. Can't stand it as a platform. I used to find Reddit annoying, Discord is on a whole other level!

Is that the new Jotego Neo Geo Pocket core you are looking for? I'll probably just wait until it goes public release myself.

I'm very much the same, I've avoided Discord for years because I don't like walls of text. Reddit is mild compared to it. It's probably just that I'm not used to it, but I just can't help but think it's a really, really, REALLY messy way to organise things.

No I'm looking for the latest Neo Geo core, which supports the Neo Geo CD. It's not the build that the update_all script will pull, this one is a manual install. Found it on the Mister forum eventually, and have it working...just need a to tell it where the games are via an MGL file now....

Master of the Universe

Ah I see!

Any reason why you want Neo Geo CD compatibility? Completion sake really?

The only Neo geo CD exclusive I'd be bothering with really is Ironclad and you can get a nice MVS conversion rom that'll run in the standard Neo Geo Core.

Master of the Universe

Gotta see that monkey juggling loading screen first hand 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wonder who maintains these, don't seem very recient

https://github.com/MiSTer-unstable-nightlies/NeoGeo_MiSTer

Advertisement