Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiSTer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

If purchasing this, buy a right angled OTG usb cable. The one provided works fine but you have to bend it to an unpleasant degree and it still puts a bit too much strain on the port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think i would prefer the Mistercade, just gotta hold off for stock to come in.

I see some people ordered DE10 Nano from the Terasic Taiwan website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I see Mouser has a few thousand units due in a few weeks, €190 + vat each 😯 Was €114 when I bought mine from them a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,103 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah I'm really regretting not buying one ages ago, it's getting toward the kind of cash I'd expect a bit more than just a bare bones board for.

Ultimate Mister had some complete kits listed the other day for 360 euro, they went pretty quickly though.

I was really tempted to buy one but the price got a bit mad after shipping & VAT.

• Advertisement

Ordered the Jamma Expander from Irken Labs

That got delivered really quickly through FedEx, no customs either.Unless they try and hit the company like they did the last time.

Shipped Wednesday, received Monday.

Master of the Universe

I was in touch with the guys who make those ultimate MiSTer kits and they said they'll be available again next week.

Hopefully will finally be able to pick one up.

How's that Irken Labs jamma unit working so far?

Sounds like the next batch of MisterCades will come with some tweaks and another board that will do consumer safe RGBS.

I’m really happy with my MiSTerCade after a couple of months.

Yeah see he has some preorders, I couldn't wait , no patience.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Thanks for the heads up, just nabbed a preorder there too :)

Nice! Shame they aren't offering the XL and mounting kit as a preorder. I've been using a 3D printed base in the mean time.

That's one thing that's nicer about the IrkenLabs device. It's more stable because the DE-10 Nano goes on top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I've been fooling around with the PSX emulation it's pretty good even in incomplete iteration. Ordered myself a Guncon 2 off ebay as well because I believe that's going to have compatability across all the cores so I'm looking forward to trying that out. I don't think I've ever owned a lightgun. Maybe I rented one with Time Crisis back in the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I find Lu's retro source on YouTube to be a good way to keep up to date with some of the MiSTer news: https://www.youtube.com/c/LusRetroSource

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

PSX on MiSTer now has CDDA working well, had a play around with it

Also the Saturn core is making great progress;

https://twitter.com/DiniertoDesigns/status/1495106280893173760

Read a note on some forum, the PSX progress really now makes some of the arcade boards based on the console closer to reality also.

Also the Jaguar is coming along nicely on the MiSTer , needs double SD RAM though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Functional analogue output for the PS1 core would really top it off, hopefully when the technicalities of the core itself are sorted it happens.

Master of the Universe

To anyone with a MiSTercade or another MiSTer to jamma setup - how do you wire up your harness so you have both Neo Geo button 4 and the three kick buttons sorted? Is there a MiSTer solution to this?

Just occurred to me while wiring up the kick harness last night, you obviously can't wire one of the kick buttons in if it's already wired to Neo Geo button 4 via the jamma harness.

Not sure if maybe you can wire them both in simultaneously? Not something I've tried before.

I think most of the mister adapter boards use the cps-2 kick harness. All that does is give the mister access to 6 buttons (Kick and Jamma), I don't think it particularly cares where the mapping is coming from. Then you just configure as you need. Perhaps I've missed something with the specifics of a Neo Geo button 4 config.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oh that's a good point! The MiSTer shouldn't care where the buttons are coming from and you can probably just map one of the kick harness buttons to Neo Geo button 4 - makes sense.

Can confirm it's taken care of with MisterCade I'm using a CPS2 kick harness.

There's a whole Git repository full of ini files and control mappings for console and arcade cores so things have pretty sensible defaults out of the box.

I've yet to figure out what 'double SD RAM' means, any insight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its a second RAM module installed, you need to remove the Analogue IO board first though as it share the same GPIO pins.

ah, reading the post now https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=44331#p44331

Looks like someone is working on a way to keep a type of analogue IO board even with dual RAM modules

It's probably using direct video and perhaps some sort of bridge PCB to connect the HDMI out to the IO board?

That would mean no simultaneous HDMI and analogue out for all the streamers out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Yeah you lose the dual output with that solution.

Not exactly a big deal, I personally skipped on the direct video solution because it would require a chain of dongles and getting the right adapter, but now I'm using an adapter as my small PVM is S-Video only! Dongle life. It's like owning a Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Finally caved in and ordered one from terasic.com.tw. Have to see what all the fuss is about.

Can i hook it up to a cab with a jpac?

Honest to God people going nuts over this like it's the best thing ever. I'm still a cynic wondering has nobody ever heard of hooking up a pc with groovymame/demul/m2/supermodel/teknoparrot. I'll do an crt input lag test between real pcb, mister, pi2jamma and groovymame on a cab and report back. Has anyone done this yet?

At the very least I expect it will replace the vertipi setup in the vertical cab.

• Advertisement

It can be hooked up via VGA using the JPAC. I had done this before getting one of the adapter boards.

Also have a mame setup and if i'm honest, I can't tell the difference. There may be lag, but marginal.

Advertisement