Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urgent water pressure/pump question

• 05-11-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I am asking for a friend with a son who has autism and has just moved into a council house. She isn't allowed to install an electric shower due to panels on roof but her child has taken ages to get used to a shower. Now there is no hot water pressure so it can set them really back if he gets out of the routine and is currently having freezing cold showers, bless him.

Any quick, cheap fixes or advice for her? Any idea how much to fit a pump, all costs included? This is what I have but it came with the house. She is based in Dublin. Any cheaper alternative to a pump? My own chap is only little and hates a shower so I can only imagine.....Once you have it sorted, you wouldn't want it unsorted but meanwhile the boy is freezing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't see how the panels on the roof can effect an electric shower as they would be on two separate water supplies. I'm guessing as she already has hot water from the panels she wants to use this rather than using electricity to heat an electric shower.

She can get a pump installed. Very hard to give an idea of costs because it will depend on the layout of the plumbing system.

If plumber was able to tap into the pipes for the shower easily I could see supply & fitting a basic shower pump for 500 or less.

If the plumber can't tap into the shower pipes then he might have to tap into the hot & cold supply for the house. This will require a bigger pump. You can spend 500 on one of these pumps plus installation. Pump could be turned on and off by a switch so it is only in use when the shower is on.

Yes she can have a pump but she'll need to get a price from a local plumber who can inspect the site and quote accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Council tenant or owner of a former council house?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry I'm confused as to how an electric shower off the attic tank is not possible here

I presume the solar supply isn't getting up to temp so an alternate is needed.

An appropriate being electric feed from tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry I'm confused as to how an electric shower off the attic tank is not possible here

I presume the solar supply isn't getting up to temp so an alternate is needed.

An appropriate being electric feed from tank

I'm confused myself but I remember as an autistic kid showering with less than quarter bar of pressure. Water was hot but not enough volume of water to keep my body warm. I shivered even though the water was warm. I think this is what OP is talking about. I think OPs friend doesn't want an electric shower as the panels will provide free hot water. I can't see any other reason why an electric shower wouldn't be a good idea (except for the 700 + cost of installation)

That's what I took from the opening comment after reading it several times. I could well be wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm confused myself but I remember as an autistic kid showering with less than quarter bar of pressure. Water was hot but not enough volume of water to keep my body warm. I shivered even though the water was warm. I think this is what OP is talking about. I think OPs friend doesn't want an electric shower as the panels will provide free hot water. I can't see any other reason why an electric shower wouldn't be a good idea (except for the 700 + cost of installation)

That's what I took from the opening comment after reading it several times. I could well be wrong

Will they do, Is there enough hot water stored. Thats another question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sbsset

Council tenant or owner of a former council house?

Council tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sbsset

listermint wrote: »
    Will they do, Is there enough hot water stored. Thats another question.

I amn't actually sure....I assumed it was me being a bit thick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sbsset wrote: »
    Council tenant.

Then as the landlord they should be resolving the issue.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

Advertisement