Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More AH mods

Options
  • 05-11-2018 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭

When a guy can spend an hour posting Nazi propaganda I think you need to consider upping the manpower.

god punished that whore already
    22yuep.jpg
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Same poster?
    proudboy wrote: »
    They were not a post code gang as such, you are comparing them to the black post code gangs in London who kill people just because they are from a different post codes.

That Clondalkin gang had links to many gangs around Dublin. What these black animals are trying to replicate is whats happening in London.

So not comparable to the Clondalkin "D22" gang.

Seriously. Throw out a casting call or something.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We do not and cannot expect mods to be online 24/7

In both cases you mention local mods dealt with the post/poster in AH, and they were dealt at site level by an Admin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think the idea is to have 24/7 - just quicker attention to the obvious trolls during peak hours.

The problem is that the time between the troll posting and being actioned is long enough for the troll to be suitably fed and move on. More mods will (in theory) reduce this time and bring back some form of discussion without multiple threads being derailed. There's another one at the moment about family law and troll is still going. Yes, it's only been an hour or two, but it's almost three pages and the chance of debate is gone.

Either the mods need to move faster (unfair expectation, I totally agree) or more mods to cover more ground.

(i also acknowedge the resulting potential problem of unity across moderation: what one mod might see as a ban another might just see as light-hearted banter)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Beatings will continue until morale improves.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Beasty wrote: »
    We do not and cannot expect mods to be online 24/7

In both cases you mention local mods dealt with the post/poster in AH, and they were dealt at site level by an Admin

There also seems to be an all round more tolerant attitude towards posters being anti semitic or racist. Eg one poster has shown up repeatedly with Zionist conspiracy crap. Reporting seems to make no difference. Place feels more overrun than ever before.

• Advertisement

Fake news is becoming ridiculous on AH. I've reported at least five incidents of it in the last few weeks. Is it that ye don't see the danger in allowing alt right people spread fake news or do ye simply not believe it's your responsibility to stop it?

As to your response Beasty, I didn't suggest mods be on 24/7, I said recruit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,571 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

ye simply not believe it's your responsibility to stop it

We're moderators, not fact checkers. And that's not me being lazy; that's me being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Fake news is becoming ridiculous on AH. I've reported at least five incidents of it in the last few weeks. Is it that ye don't see the danger in allowing alt right people spread fake news or do ye simply not believe it's your responsibility to stop it?

As to your response Beasty, I didn't suggest mods be on 24/7, I said recruit more.

People who are willing to work for nothing for a profit making company are hard to come by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

AH has just turned into stormfront but the mods don't care. Same stuff everywhere on the internet these days

We're moderators, not fact checkers. And that's not me being lazy; that's me being realistic.
    People who are willing to work for nothing for a profit making company are hard to come by

Fair points.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RasTa wrote: »
    Same stuff everywhere on the internet these days
    People have extreme views, whether online or in the real world. That's the way the World has been moving for a while now. Maybe the "silent majority" are caught up in the middle of it all, but do you really think we should be clamping down on what may well be genuinely held views, even if considered extreme by "historic" standards?

Yes even in this brave new World some things remain unacceptable on this site, be that racism, sexism, abuse of other users etc. However so long as posters are posting within site and forum rules we should not be acting simply because there is a perception views being expressed are extreme

People have extreme views, whether online or in the real world. That's the way the World has been moving for a while now. Maybe the "silent majority" are caught up in the middle of it all, but do you really think we should be clamping down on what may well be genuinely held views, even if considered extreme by "historic" standards?

Yes even in this brave new World some things remain unacceptable on this site, be that racism, sexism, abuse of other users etc. However so long as posters are posting within site and forum rules we should not be acting simply because there is a perception views being expressed are extreme

It's not extreme views I am referring to though. It's the proliferation of fake news and propaganda. Things that are provably false and portrayed as fact rather than opinion.

As a general point I would not use AH as a news source. Equally you state "probably", which itself leaves some doubt over whether it is "false" or not.

If AH went back to it's original purpose of a place for light hearted commentary I'm not sure people would have so much of an issue. Equally I recognise we are in a different "era" nowadays and it is users that drive content. Other users are perfectly capable of pointing out any "news" that is "genuinely fake", and readers of the forum should not be taking anything posted as "gospel" without checking via a reliable source (which Boards clearly is not)

I don't mind extreme views, as long as they can be backed up. People seem to think extremism is the problem - it's not - as the sheer ignorance behind some of the elements of it that has no intention of debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Whatever about extreme views this type of post and this whole thread is what is discussed daily in AH. Just rename it to stormfront and be done

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108945513&postcount=115

As a general point I would not use AH as a news source. Equally you state "probably", which itself leaves some doubt over whether it is "false" or not.

If AH went back to it's original purpose of a place for light hearted commentary I'm not sure people would have so much of an issue. Equally I recognise we are in a different "era" nowadays and it is users that drive content. Other users are perfectly capable of pointing out any "news" that is "genuinely fake", and readers of the forum should not be taking anything posted as "gospel" without checking via a reliable source (which Boards clearly is not)

I said provably, as in can be proven. It seems you are of the opinion that the community can police it themselves. That's how we got Trump and Brexit. It doesn't work. Reddit found it out the hard way. Facebook did too. And while the people on Boards make not be backed by big players, the places they get their fake news from are..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Whatever happened to the idea of AH going back to AH and have a current affairs forum? It seemed to be a plan that everyone agreed with.

Whatever happened to the idea of AH going back to AH and have a current affairs forum? It seemed to be a plan that everyone agreed with.
    It's not been agreed by everyone though - there's another current Feedback thread here where some posters want to keep it as it is in terms of "serious" discussion. Likewise there was some dissent to the idea in earlier Feedback discussions on AH

I still think it's worth trying, but wanted to see what the consensus coming out of the 2 current feedback threads is, and whether that changes anything. I realise it's kicking the can down the road a little, but we are getting quite mixed feedback on the subject

Whatever about extreme views this type of post and this whole thread is what is discussed daily in AH. Just rename it to stormfront and be done

No you see, that's why I'd never made a good mod. I would have carded that post.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I can’t see AH being funny again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Fake news is becoming ridiculous on AH. I've reported at least five incidents of it in the last few weeks.
    Posting "Fake news" isn't against the charter though.

There might be threads or posts in AH that you find extreme, but to claim that the entire forum is on the same level as Stormfront is hyperbolic and false.
    Who's "everyone"?

I think before any significant changes are made there should be at least a poll done on the suggestion.
    With a linked placed in AH so that people are aware of it and enough of the posters can vote on it to make it someway representative.

Posting "Fake news" isn't against the charter though.

It should be though.

It should be though.

Yeah, but as someone said: who's going to be checking links for fake news?

Users are. But if you mean in relation to reported posts then I suppose that brings me back to hiring more mods and having a policy in place for the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Well if a poster can provide a credible fact checking site reference then that should be enough. Move the topic into conspiracy theories if it doesn't have a factual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AH has just turned into stormfront but the mods don't care. Same stuff everywhere on the internet these days

Oh, I do care. AH is a shithole now. I'll happily move every single migration and politics (especially identity politics) thread somewhere else, maybe the bin where they belong, but then everyone else will complain. Seems to be absolutely nothing we can do about this, particularly a solution that everyones happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It should be though.

I disagree. People should be able to post what they like unless it's against the charter.

I disagree. People should be able to post what they like unless it's against the charter.

Like I said, the self policing mode taken by social media gave us Trump and Brexit. These mediums being used to spread propaganda. They've all taken steps to remedy it. I don't see why Boards should be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Like I said, the self policing mode taken by social media gave us Trump and Brexit. These mediums being used to spread propaganda. They've all taken steps to remedy it. I don't see why Boards should be different.

I'd like to think we're not as thick as the Americans or the Brits.

• Advertisement

I'd like to think we're not as thick as the Americans or the Brits.
    You speak for yourself.....

;)

Advertisement