Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More AH mods

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Oh, I do care. AH is a shithole now. I'll happily move every single migration and politics (especially identity politics) thread somewhere else, maybe the bin where they belong, but then everyone else will complain. Seems to be absolutely nothing we can do about this, particularly a solution that everyones happy with.

It most certainly is.
    If the business owners of boards read the most recent thread on the Syrian families arriving in Ireland; particularly the posts from one particular (now thread banned) poster, then not only would they give up on boards, but possibly give up on humanity itself. The bile and bigotry of his posts should have been stopped sooner, but then as Beasty said, mods cannot be online 24/7. That thread (and many like it) have no place on AH.
    The fact that these types of threads are still allowed to fester on AH is an obvious business decision; albeit a fairly bad one.

I pity the mods who have to deal with them on AH; I'm sure that they didn't sign up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Kivaro wrote: »
    It most certainly is.
    If the business owners of boards read the most recent thread on the Syrian families arriving in Ireland; particularly the posts from one particular (now thread banned) poster, then not only would they give up on boards, but possibly give up on humanity itself. The bile and bigotry of his posts should have been stopped sooner, but then as Beasty said, mods cannot be online 24/7. That thread (and many like it) have no place on AH.
    The fact that these types of threads are still allowed to fester on AH is an obvious business decision; albeit a fairly bad one.

I pity the mods who have to deal with them on AH; I'm sure that they didn't sign up for that.

I wonder did the owners read the thread where there was jokes and banter allowed about the bombings on the london underground last year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Oh, I do care. AH is a shithole now. I'll happily move every single migration and politics (especially identity politics) thread somewhere else, maybe the bin where they belong, but then everyone else will complain. Seems to be absolutely nothing we can do about this, particularly a solution that everyones happy with.

Isn't there a ranting and raving forum where the migration/id politics ones could go where it's actually not allowed to go against the OP's rant? Sounds like they'd fit in there nicely: it seems that a lot of the news stories are posted for validation rather than debate.

Would certainly be a happier place for the people who think they were banned for expressing an opinion , or scream blue murder when someone disagrees with them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Translation of the last few posts: "my feelings are hurt cause someone has a different opinion to me. Sure everyone that disagrees with me is a racist bigot Nazi"??

And so forth...

There seems to be a lot of the attempts to stifle proper discussion of real issues surrounding immigration, housing etc by not only the vocal minority, but also some of the mods and anyone who disagrees with their pov is a member of stormfront.

The site should treat posters like adults who don't need to be protected from society's evils. It's not like Stormfront (wtf) and it hasn't been invaded by the alt-right. Russian trolls don't operate here.

The fake news being mentioned is a red herring. Sure, 350m to the NHS was a lie, but how could a mod in AH say "fake news" and take action against a poster for quoting the British Foreign Secretary or the BBC?

I see bigotry in AH, not some fake new epidemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The site should treat posters like adults who don't need to be protected from society's evils. It's not like Stormfront (wtf) and it hasn't been invaded by the alt-right. Russian trolls don't operate here.

The fake news being mentioned is a red herring. Sure, 350m to the NHS was a lie, but how could a mod in AH say "fake news" and take action against a poster for quoting the British Foreign Secretary or the BBC?

Fake news and the misrepresentation of facts is very prevalent, particularly on the controversial threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Isn't there a ranting and raving forum where the migration/id politics ones could go where it's actually not allowed to go against the OP's rant? Sounds like they'd fit in there nicely: it seems that a lot of the news stories are posted for validation rather than debate.

R&R charter specifically bans Politics as a subject for rants.

Fake news and the misrepresentation of facts is very prevalent, particularly on the controversial threads.

Is it, or is it the constant "Got proof of that?" being asked to people who say something like "This will make the housing crisis worse."?

It's not fake news to base opinions on the happenings in other countries. I have family in Crimea and friends in Gothenburg. Their experiences first-hand are fake news in your book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

AH seem to all Alt Right posters free reign to abuse other posters at Will, that’s against the charter, but nothing happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I'd like to think we're not as thick as the Americans or the Brits.

Why are better?

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »
    Why are better?

Gay Marriage / Trump / Brexit

Three public votes in three years. Pick the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

On other sites the posters deal with the bullshoite. Boards has been infantalised to such a degree nobody can say boo to a Nazi.
    The level of reasonableness and sitting on the fence in AH is quite pronounced as is.

Is it, or is it the constant "Got proof of that?" being asked to people who say something like "This will make the housing crisis worse."?

It's not fake news to base opinions on the happenings in other countries. I have family in Crimea and friends in Gothenburg. Their experiences first-hand are fake news in your book.

It's not. It's fake news to make up things that happen in other countries or to completely misrepresent them. Legal decisions are especially prone to this.

What you are referring to is third party anecdotal evidence. It's not fake but it's completely unreliable as a source and you shouldn't be surprised when it goes against actual publicly available factual information and people challenge your conclusions and source.

Take your family in Crimea. Let's say you use them to support an argument against a newspaper article about the plight of people in Crimea. Why do you think people should accept that? Your family could be on either side of the conflict, could be wealthy or dirt poor, could be in a completely different region. Or you could have made it up. I don't think that should be banned but it should be seen for what it is and not considered a factual source on it's own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057941606

Why am I reading about soros getting ride of the European white nation in AH and you say it isn't stormfront? Probably the same posters though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

RasTa wrote: »

Why am I reading about soros getting ride of the European white nation in AH and you say it isn't stormfront? Probably the same posters though

If you are perpetually seeking out threads that offend you, perhaps you should get off the internet once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Did you report the post? Coming to Feedback and moaning about it is not the same as alerting the mods about content they may not have seen.

In fact all your doing by linking to it is amplifying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Try_harder wrote: »
    AH seem to all Alt Right posters free reign to abuse other posters at Will, that’s against the charter, but nothing happens.

Yet the mods are regularly accused of being leftwing politically correct zealots. They cannot win.

To answer the OP - I would be on favour of having alot more moderators. 20 would be a good number imo. Unfortunately finding 1 moderator can be difficult and the efforts usually fizzle out when the current mods feel they can handle things.

I will go back to the mods now and brainstorm some potential new recruits. Thanks for the feedback. As the cmod for AH I need a kick in the arse every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Orion wrote: »
    Did you report the post? Coming to Feedback and moaning about it is not the same as alerting the mods about content they may not have seen.

In fact all your doing by linking to it is amplifying it.

Of course I did, they deemed it fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Of course I did, they deemed it fine.

Did I miss something? I read the thread you linked to and didn't see any mention of Soros.
    Other than that it seemed to be a group of people commenting on someone I have never heard of and talking about conspiracy theories.

DS86DS wrote: »
    Macron, Merkel and Soros are doing their damned best to try and insure that the Kalergi plan becomes a reality.

Sorry I reread it and found this post. I still say it is conspiracy theory stuff. Noone on the thread took it seriously or blew up about it.

That said AH is probably not the place for immigration threads. It is being actively discussed at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually, seeing as the topic of AH mods is on the table here - reading through the current thread on the 11 year old "performer", I see an interesting on-thread warning by one of the mods attempting to shut down balanced discussion of a serious topic.

Nothing new there, but I am a bit tired of the random name-changing of certain Mods which not only causes confusion but (if it's the same previous one I'm thinking of) just strikes me as a way to hide from their actions.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Actually, seeing as the topic of AH mods is on the table here - reading through the current thread on the 11 year old "performer", I see an interesting on-thread warning by one of the mods attempting to shut down balanced discussion of a serious topic.

Nothing new there, but I am a bit tired of the random name-changing of certain Mods which not only causes confusion but (if it's the same previous one I'm thinking of) just strikes me as a way to hide from their actions.

The whole issue of unpopular opinion versus hate speech is a difficult one. I posted a feedback thread about it before but it's been locked. It's a difficult line to police and I think it should be hashed out a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Conflating paedophilia and homosexuality is something that the site already ran into previously during the marriage referendum. As pointed out that the time, there was no factual basis for it and research already highlights that they're entirely separate. So conflating the two tends to be homophobic people getting very excited.

It's not shutting down discussion, it's preventing the discussion going entirely off the rails which is what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

batgoat wrote: »
    Conflating paedophilia and homosexuality is something that the site already ran into previously during the marriage referendum. As pointed out that the time, there was no factual basis for it and research already highlights that they're entirely separate. So conflating the two tends to be homophobic people getting very excited.

It's not shutting down discussion, it's preventing the discussion going entirely off the rails which is what would happen.

I don't think that most people would suggest that being gay automatically means having an unhealthy interest in children, but by automatically jumping to that presumption and overreacting as the Mod in question has done here it both censors discussion and ignores a reality that such things CAN happen - EVEN in the gay community

Recognising that and calling it out for what it is isn't wrong, nor is it tarring the entire community with the same brush.

I don't think that most people would suggest that being gay automatically means having an unhealthy interest in children, but by automatically jumping to that presumption and overreacting as the Mod in question has done here it both censors discussion and ignores a reality that such things CAN happen - EVEN in the gay community

Recognising that and calling it out for what it is isn't wrong, nor is it tarring the entire community with the same brush.

It's not an overreaction, it's preventing a discussion from going to a very ****ed up place with no factual basis. And it was guaranteed to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,553 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To me it's always hard to deal with topics similar to that. You might let something small go or it might lead to an interesting discussion bit somebody always comes in and ruins it by going over the top. Similar happen in the traveller threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

So were not allowed change our names now. You know what you can do...

The name of the mod is irrelevant. It is the message that is important.

Can you expand on the incident you are referring to and I will have a look.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The name of the mod is irrelevant. It is the message that is important.

Can you expand on the incident you are referring to and I will have a look.

It's in reference to this thread and the mod warning in first post.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057943294/1

Think the name changing remark was in relation to thread titles changing rather than mods.

• Advertisement

Warning seems reasonable to me although we may pull the mod up on excessive use of a thesaurus.

Advertisement