Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treating a Wound on a Sheep

• 05-11-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭

Sorry if this is a strange question ....

A few years ago my parents had a cat with a wound on its back that just would not heal. As a last resort the vet suggested an over the counter green spray that is normally used on sheep as a treatment and it worked amazingly. It was an over the counter treatment. I know nothing about sheep but was wondering if anyone could have any idea what the spray was? I will ask in the vets when I get a chance to get there, but in the meantime I 5hought i’d Ask you guys....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a strange question ....

A few years ago my parents had a cat with a wound on its back that just would not heal. As a last resort the vet suggested an over the counter green spray that is normally used on sheep as a treatment and it worked amazingly. It was an over the counter treatment. I know nothing about sheep but was wondering if anyone could have any idea what the spray was? I will ask in the vets when I get a chance to get there, but in the meantime I 5hought i’d Ask you guys....

alamycin or terramycin i would imagine. We use an aluminum type spray,heals up a wound very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

alamycin or terramycin i would imagine. We use an aluminum type spray,heals up a wound very quickly

Thank you. A friend was looking for a solution for a cat with an open wound for 2 years - has had skin grafts, and all sorts of 'usual' treatments have been unsuccessful. So I will be asking at the vet about the two sprays you mention. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thank you. A friend was looking for a solution for a cat with an open wound for 2 years - has had skin grafts, and all sorts of 'usual' treatments have been unsuccessful. So I will be asking at the vet about the two sprays you mention. Thank you.

Ipresume they've tried manuka honey....seems to heal everything else.
    The cat obviously has an infection resistant to all the usual ABs.....manuka honey cures MRSA even.
    Aluminium spray is good, keeps out bugs and dirt....keeping her from scratching is the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

wrangler wrote: »
    Ipresume they've tried manuka honey....seems to heal everything else.
    The cat obviously has an infection resistant to all the usual ABs.....manuka honey cures MRSA even.
    Aluminium spray is good, keeps out bugs and dirt....keeping her from scratching is the problem
    Yes, tried manuka honey but no joy. Just tried to get the two sprays mentioned up above but they are only available on prescription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

the mycins would still be prescription sprays, aluspray is good for wounds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

When I was small, my grandfather told me a story that he had a horse that fell, and cut her front leg badly. The wound wasn't healing, it was continuously weeping... He met an old man, who said to wash the wound with epsom salts - he did, and it dried up the wound, and it healed fine afterwards...

Now, I don't know how many times he washed with the epsom salts. Also, please note this was also a long LONG time ago, so medicines that are available now, might have easily treated the wound if they had been available at the time...

But, if all else has failed, a can of epsom salts wont set you back much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Might be a strange one but have they looked into creams/topical rubs with Bentonite Clay as the main ingredient? Have seen some some big wounds on horses that have closed using 'Pink hoof clay' and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭maconof

Green spray we use at the moment is Intra Repiderma, can buy it online or in the vets usually.

Also use the Alamycin blue spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ganmo wrote: »
    aluspray is good for wounds

should only be used on fresh wounds , main use would be after dehorning or surgery

Advertisement