If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Ambilight

Options
  • 06-11-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Why do you not not stock Philips Ambilight TVs ?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Thank you. 

I searched "ambilight" on the site but got no results.

It finds them now. I must have misspelled I suppose.

Are any of them bluetooth? It doesn't show it in the specs.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Spon,

there is no Bluetooth on any of the PUS6703 series - you can check out the user manual here:
    https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pus6703_12/55pus6703_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi Spon,

there is no Bluetooth on any of the PUS6703 series - you can check out the user manual here:
    https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/55pus6703_12/55pus6703_12_dfu_eng.pdf

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I'll be up to your store in a few weeks. Do you have an Ambilight in a showroom that I could operating?

Hi Spon,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I'll be up to your store in a few weeks. Do you have an Ambilight in a showroom that I could operating?
    Hey Spon Farmer.

We have the 43" version on display on our shopfloor and there is no issue having a play around with it.

Hi Spon,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Spon Farmer.

We have the 43" version on display on our shopfloor and there is no issue having a play around with it.
    Do you mean on a shelf or in an area where the lights can be turned off?

Hi Spon,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Spon Farmer.

Do you mean on a shelf or in an area where the lights can be turned off?
    Hi Spon Farmer.

Its mounted on the wall on our shopfloor area.

It might be possible to lift it off the wall and take it to our demo room where the lights can be switched off. The lights can not be switched off on the main shopfloor for health and safety reasons.

Hi Spon Farmer.

It might be possible to lift it off the wall and take it to our demo room where the lights can be switched off. The lights can not be switched off on the main shopfloor for health and safety reasons.
    Well. I wasn't expecting you would do that. ;)

But can Ambilight really be demonstrated in a well area like that? I has assumed it needs a dark room.

• Advertisement

Hi Spon Farmer.

Well. I wasn't expecting you would do that. ;)

But can Ambilight really be demonstrated in a well area like that? I has assumed it needs a dark room.
    Hi Spon Farmer.

It does work better in a darker room and yes I suppose our shopfloor is too bright to demonstrate the ambilight feature correctly.

Or demo room setup is usually from our top of the range products but as I say there should be no issue in moving the Philips in there to demo.
    All you would need to do is let us know which day you would be up to the store and we can have it ready for your arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi Kenny,

Sorry to hijack the thread but any sign still of getting the 7000 series in?

Hi Kenny,

Hey Lord Spence.

Still no sign at the minute.

The only difference I can see between the two from the spec is the 7000 series has a higher refresh rate.
    The stand on the 7000 is also different.

I'll keep my eye out and should this change I'll drop you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi Kenny,

Hey Lord Spence.

The only difference I can see between the two from the spec is the 7000 series has a higher refresh rate.

The 7000 has the P5 processing chip in it (Which is normally reserved for its high end models) and has Android TV as its OS from what I have been reading this is making me want this over the 6000 series.

Hi Kenny,

Hey Lord Spence.

The 7000 has the P5 processing chip in it (Which is normally reserved for its high end models) and has Android TV as its OS from what I have been reading this is making me want this over the 6000 series.
    No worries Lord Spence.

Thanks for the extra info also.

Should things change on stocking the 7000's I'll be in touch.

Hi Kenny,

This is a newer model Ambilight, I take it?

Hi Kenny,

Hi Spon Farmer.

It is a different model that we do not stock. 
    There are a few different series in the Ambilight range 6000 and 7000 and within these series they produce 3 or different models.
    Just the same as any other manufacturer really.

However we only stock the one version of the Ambilight models.

Hi Kenny,

Hi Spon Farmer.

There are a few different series in the Ambilight range 6000 and 7000 and within these series they produce 3 or different models.

I've read a few reviews and seen some customer comments on various websites and everyone seems to agree that the default picture settings are "rubbish" and that it is a "heartbreaking" pain to manually find the best settings.

Is this something common on all brands of TVs there days or is it only an issue on Philips Ambilight?

Spon,

..any TV nerd will tell you that Philips TV's traditionally have way more set-up options than most standard TV's - this works really well if you are into taking the time to get the very best out of your TV - Less so if you just want a plug N play option.

To be fair to the 6703 - the 50" Version of the 6703 has won the What Hifi Award for best TV under £500 - to be honest I think it's a steal!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Kenny,

Hi Spon Farmer.

I've read a few reviews and seen some customer comments on various websites and everyone seems to agree that the default picture settings are "rubbish" and that it is a "heartbreaking" pain to manually find the best settings.

Is this something common on all brands of TVs there days or is it only an issue on Philips Ambilight?
    Hi Spon Farmer,

This isn't an issue I've seen myself, I have one on display at the moment and it looks great out of the box. You can always manually adjust picture settings for brightness and colour. I wouldn't say it's heartbreaking though! one of our colleagues bought himself one and he absolutely loves it.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Spon,

..any TV nerd will tell you that Philips TV's traditionally have way more set-up options than most standard TV's - this works really well if you are into taking the time to get the very best out of your TV - Less so if you just want a plug N play option.

To be fair to the 6703 - the 50" Version of the 6703 has won the What Hifi Award for best TV under £500 - to be honest I think it's a steal!

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I'm probably better suited to the plug and play option otherwise I'll constantly be questioning whether I have the best settings, but also Ambilight seems like a feature I would enjoy.

Hi Kenny,

Hi Spon Farmer.

Hi Spon Farmer,

This isn't an issue I've seen myself, I have one on display at the moment and it looks great out of the box. You can always manually adjust picture settings for brightness and colour. I wouldn't say it's heartbreaking though! one of our colleagues bought himself one and he absolutely loves it.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David
    I had been wondering whether peoples issue with the default settings were something only TV enthusiasts would notice and perhaps not a Joe Bloggs like myself. Much like how people nit-pick the image quality on a blu-ray.

However, if those enthusiasts and the reviewers find getting the right settings a pain then it would probably kill me, but they have donate hard work and share the details soI'll read more about it. :P 

I must surely know someone who has an Ambilight

There is also criticism of the built in sound quality but apparently it is just fine when you connect to a speaker system.

Would the sound also be okay on wireless speakers?

Spon,

..to be honest the audio quality on pretty much every budget flat screen TV is poor - physically it's really difficult to get good audio quality out of a slim cabinet without spending quite a lot on the actual drive units - if terms of specific audio quality on the 6703 I think its significantly better than most of it's peers - however again it would really benefit from a separate soundbar - in terms of wireless speakers - it does not come with wireless speakers and it does not have bluetooth out to allow it to connect to wireless speakers.

On a broader issue, if you search the web you will find that EVERY TV has someone that is unhappy with some specific issue with EVERY TV - to be honest it's a balance, the 6703 is a great TV at a really reasonable price but if you are negative about it prior to purchase then it's probably not for you..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Spon,

..to be honest the audio quality on pretty much every budget flat screen TV is poor - physically it's really difficult to get good audio quality out of a slim cabinet without spending quite a lot on the actual drive units - if terms of specific audio quality on the 6703 I think its significantly better than most of it's peers - however again it would really benefit from a separate soundbar - in terms of wireless speakers - it does not come with wireless speakers and it does not have bluetooth out to allow it to connect to wireless speakers.

On a broader issue, if you search the web you will find that EVERY TV has someone that is unhappy with some specific issue with EVERY TV - to be honest it's a balance, the 6703 is a great TV at a really reasonable price but if you are negative about it prior to purchase then it's probably not for you..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I'm not being negative, just questioning and considering.

I would be more than willing to spend more but the next level of Ambilights start at 55 inches and I'm afraid 50 inch is as big as I can go.

And yes, someone does always have a issue with something. ;)

Spon,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I'm not being negative, just questioning and considering.

I would be more than willing to spend more but the next level of Ambilights start at 55 inches and I'm afraid 50 inch is as big as I can go.

And yes, someone does always have a issue with something. ;)
    No problem, as John says, at that price point the Philips are brilliant TVs.

Keep us posted

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.