Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Tyre size'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

They will fit no problem, as the difference in tyre diameter is only 2mm (4mm in wheel diameter).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cdx

Thanks Alek! The girl I spoke to on Halfords chat had no clue and neither did I :confused:

will go ahead with that now. sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

They will fit but they're not the most comfortable tyres. Try Schwalbe Supremes for more comfort and still having puncture resistance.

Hows the grip on them? I'm really looking for something with plenty of grip in the corners and in wet conditions. The ones I currently have (stock felt) are a nightmare around corners, especially in wet conditions. Grip is more important than comfortable for me. So yeah, opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Marathon Plus wouldn't be known for their grip/ handling. Generally, the pay off for puncture resistance is a harder compound and less grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Just my advice - get a 28mm tyre. I'm not sure you need 35mm unless the roads you are on are in a real jock. I started commuting (on current bike) with a 23mm tyre and worked my way up to 28c which is as far as I'd go. Have 25mm on the back.

Never listen to anyone in Halfords when it comes to bikes. I had that Schwalbe tyre before - it has great puncture resistance but is slow. I recommend spending a bit more and getting something like this Continental https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-road-tyre/rp-prod120460

steamsey wrote: »
    Just my advice - get a 28mm tyre. I'm not sure you need 35mm unless the roads you are on are in a real jock. I started commuting (on current bike) with a 23mm tyre and worked my way up to 28c which is as far as I'd go. Have 25mm on the back.
    Well I've recently gone 32mm for the commute, and I wouldn't be going backwards. I'd be more inclined to go wider, only I've barely clearance as it is!

That Continental looks pretty good by the reviews. Now to decide on the width...
    I'd like something wider so should I go high or low in C's? eg: Is 700x35c wider than 28c ? A bit confused :-

If you're looking for grip, Marathons are not a good choice.

For speed and comfort choose a wider *and* lighter tyre, but you may suffer more punctures.

Grip its hard to tell, as it is rarely advertised by manufacturers - you can only rely on the opinion of others here.

However, a wider tyre will have better grip than a narrower one made from the same rubber.

I've recently switched from 28mm lightweight racing tyres to 50mm (sic!) semi-slick ones. Despite being wider and heavier (250g vs 450g), the new ones actually made me faster, as I'm more confident in the wet, while cornering and due to not caring for potholes any longer. When run on quite low pressure, the bike just glides over road imperfections :)

Which brand/model are you using if I may ask? I've read that at 37mm (ones I currently have) the tyres are as fat as you'll ever expect a road bike to be. Sure there are 40-50mm tyres available online but would like to get an idea' from yours. (:

Even the ones I currently have, they are not wide at all, which I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

I use Schwalbe Thunder Burts Lite Skin 2.1", they are technically mountain bike tyres but have a minimal thread and very supple sidewalls.

There are very light and supple tyres with a little thread for cyclocross that would fit your bike, but as I said - you need to factor a risk of punctures if switching from something like Marathons.

I'd recommend giving these ones a try - they're cheap, grippy, fast and not too knobby. I'd run them at no more than 3.5bar for comfort, but I weight 83kg.

If your bike can fit 38mm, I'd go for them and run at 3.2bar.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/schwalbe-cx-comp-cyclocross-bike-tyre/rp-prod24615

cdx wrote: »
    That Continental looks pretty good by the reviews. Now to decide on the width...
    I'd like something wider so should I go high or low in C's? eg: Is 700x35c wider than 28c ? A bit confused :-

It's pretty simple. C is a code for the inner diameter. 700(mm) is the outer diameter of the tyre and is the first main size factor. Then you need to measure width of the tyre and that's where the 35/28/25 (mm) etc etc comes into it. To answer your question - 35mm is of course wider than 28mm.

So you had 37mms and were thinking of 35mm - not a significant difference really. I doubt you'd notice it too much if replaced tyres like for like with 2mm width being the only difference.

There's a ton of discussions online about what commuter tyre width is best. 23mm is very thin, very fast but you'll feel every bump. 25mm adds a little bit of comfort and I'm at 28mm up front now which is a good balance for me in terms of speed and comfort. 32mm might actually be better for you - jumping from 37mm to 28mm might be harsh. Tyres are not forever - so you can adjust next purchase based on your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

These are lovely. I use them year round commuting and on audax.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Also bear in mind that Marathon Plus tyres are wider in real life than a similar sized other brand. For example, their 700x25 is wider than most 700x28 of other brands. If you are getting them, a 700x32 would probably be as wide as your current 700x37.

They are very puncture resistant as has been said. I put up 22,000kms on a pair without a single puncture.

Why are you so concerned with grip? Just slow down on wet bends, roundabouts etc. and you'll be fine. Grippy tyres are more prone to punctures so you'll waste time sorting them.

Why are you so concerned with grip?

I know why I am :) If you commute in traffic, it's better to have a tyre that will allow you to emergency break without a performing a gravity check.
    Grippy tyres are more prone to punctures so you'll waste time sorting them

Sorting out yourself after a wipe-out may be wasting more time and other things. Just ask Beasty.

Why are you so concerned with grip? Just slow down on wet bends, roundabouts etc. and you'll be fine. Grippy tyres are more prone to punctures so you'll waste time sorting them.

I'm very concerned with grip! Anyone on a bike should be. I'll take punctures over crashes if I have to choose one.

My recent 32mm tyres are Vittoria Randonneur Pro 2, which I'm happy with so far. Well happy with the comfort, I haven't pushed the grip particularly, but no issues on recent wet mornings.

Vittoria Voyager Hyper are the oft recommended wider ones! Actually, I would've gone for them if I could've got them in 32mm

@Alek They sure look like the ones I'm after for. hmm.. how could I tell if my bike can fit 38mm?

Oh I've had some really bad falls, broken eye lid one time, broke my tooth once.. Im just that extra cautious now. And I don't really mind if grip=more prone to punctures, I tend to take care where I cycle usually.

I'll chime in that I had to sell my Hypers due to noticeably worse grip than on other similar tyres, i.e. Kojak 35mm. They were super fast and comfy though :)

how could I tell if my bike can fit 38mm?

Measure the width of your current tyre and then gaps in any place it is close to the frame or a fender.

I.e. if your measured 35mm has 7mm gap in the narrowest place on the bike, you'll be fine with 40mm, as the gap will be reduced to ~4.5mm.

• Advertisement

Just had a look and seen the following:

(Model: WTB sx24 700c)

ETRTO Rim Size: 622x17c Inner Rim Width: 17c
    ETRTO Recommended Tire Section width: 25mm-52mm.

I guess that 38mm will fit then?

(got nothing to measure it atm-.-)

Just if you are measuring, check the actual width of your current tyres. They can run wider or narrower than official sizes. My current 32mm tyres do fit, but I have tried others before that didn't!

38mm will fit your rim.

But whether it'll fit your frame is completely another story :)

Advertisement