Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from Bank of Ireland asking "up-to-date photo ID and proof of address"

Options
  • 06-11-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Team,

yesterday i got an email from bank of ireland asking me to provide ID Photo and Proof of current Address (dated in the last six month). In the email said that they are obliged to hold up-to-date identification documentation for all their customer.

Could you please confirm if this is not fake or fraud email?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galycos

Same here, is this legitimate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I can confirm that we're are sending out emails like this to some of our customers.
    If you forward on the original email that you received to 365security@boi.com the advisers there will be more than happy to confirm if the specific emails that each of you received are legitimate.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marta83

Thank you so much Darren for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I also got this email but live in Germany. I don't want to upload online personal documents to any one. Can I wait until the next time I am in Ireland and show in person? 

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

gar32 wrote: »
    I also got this email but live in Germany. I don't want to upload online personal documents to any one. Can I wait until the next time I am in Ireland and show in person? 

Thanks

Thanks for getting in touch with us on this thread.
    In this case I'd ask you to call us directly on 0035312500399 and the advisers there will be happy to have a look into your account and confirm all the options available to you in relation to providing these documents.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the help and Phone number. 

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

Many thanks for the help and Phone number. 
    They should not be asking for this via email as it clearly states in their security info that they "will never ask for personal information by email".

I originally rang Banking 365 and asked about this email and was told that it was suspicious and probably a Phishing attempt and I should forward it to 365 security.

The left hand obviously does not know what the right hand is doing, surprise surprise.

It strikes me as odd as they don't want to see you anywhere near a branch and do their best to insist that you use a machine to lodge notes and any thing else do on line.

So what the photo ID is for is beyond me if they never see you.

Have been with them for 35 years and boy how banking with them has changed over the past 10 years, no personal contact and rude staff who don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I got a letter yesterday seeking those details.  An email request seems odd to me and would create more suspicion.

In my case I'm with the Bank 30+ years.

I can see why they need proof of id for certain product applications but not for your mortgage that you are nearly halfway through paying.

They also ask for proof of address when they posted the letter... to your address.

Not great really but seems to be a regulatory imposition, so not much choice.

I did the document upload. Only took a couple of mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Clearly phishing. 

They have your postal address. 

They state "they will never contact you via e-mail for personal details" Never mind sms!!!

I should believe an internet forum... Bank of Ireland???

Shame on Bank Of Ireland! 

I uploaded my data to the BOI web site should I not get an email or a letter stating my ID & address information has be received, processed or at least OK for requirements? 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

I uploaded my data to the BOI web site should I not get an email or a letter stating my ID & address information has be received, processed or at least OK for requirements? 

Hi gar32,

Thanks for the question.

We will contact you if there is any problem with the documents you have submitted. Otherwise you can assume that everything has been received and your records are now up to date.

Many Thanks

John

Hi gar32,

Thanks for the question.

We will contact you if there is any problem with the documents you have submitted. Otherwise you can assume that everything has been received and your records are now up to date.

Many Thanks

John
    Thank you but maybe an email for future uploads would be a good Idea? 

Regards gar32

Advertisement