Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work - Mountain Bike

Options
  • 06-11-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - have been looking into picking up a mountain bike for trail use on the bike to work scheme. I've only just started looking, but like the look of the VooDoo Bizango 29 which seems to get good reviews. From a quick search it looks to be available in Halfords for €780 - I assume I'd get 10% off that price with my Axa Rewards card also which bring it down to just above €700. So a few questions:

1. I've only ever really done a few of the Coillte trails (Ballyhoura, Derroura, Ballinastoe, Ticknock) on either rented bikes or my old Trek mountain bike. Would this style of bike be a lot different?

2. I'm looking at the VooDoo based on reviews on MBR - any opinions on it? Is there anything else that's worth looking at?

3. I'm guessing if I dropped into Halfords, I could get a spin to see if it suits me?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

I recently got a voodoo nakisi (gravel bike) via the bike to work scheme, and they wouldnt accept my axa card, but it might depend on who you get.

Something to note, you’ll receive a 20% off voucher for bike accessories once you get confirmation of the deal being complete, it will have a expiry date on the back, should be 6 months or so. Dont let them keep it when you use it, you can reuse as many times as you want up until the expiry date

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Don't limit your choices via reviews, get a go on as many different bikes as possible, preferably on trails, narrowing your choices down. Did any rental bikes stick out in your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

cletus wrote: »
    I recently got a voodoo nakisi (gravel bike) via the bike to work scheme, and they wouldnt accept my axa card, but it might depend on who you get.

Something to note, you’ll receive a 20% off voucher for bike accessories once you get confirmation of the deal being complete, it will have a expiry date on the back, should be 6 months or so. Dont let them keep it when you use it, you can reuse as many times as you want up until the expiry date

Good to know - thanks - appreciate it.
    Don't limit your choices via reviews, get a go on as many different bikes as possible, preferably on trails, narrowing your choices down. Did any rental bikes stick out in your mind?

Not particularly but I guess I didn't really have it in mind. To my mind, they were all what I would have considered pretty standard hardtail mountain bikes. They were all better than my own (which is a lump of a thing I bought 16 years ago) but I would have expected that from renting something newer anyway as they'd be much lighter.

Is it possible to rent different types of bikes at trails? Anytime I rented a bike I was just given one when I got there so didn't think past that.

Bawnmore wrote:
    Is it possible to rent different types of bikes at trails? Anytime I rented a bike I was just given one when I got there so didn't think past that.

Different rental places might rent different bikes, it's worth asking what they have, unfortunately since there's only a couple rental places in the country, selection can be very limited. Worth mentioning to the rental places that you re in the market, they can be very helpful at times

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Halfords have some Boardman mtb end of line at 25% off. You will also get 10% off on top of that with AXA or 3+ app.
    I got Boardman mountain bike pro 29 reduced from 960 down to 680.
    Check website but you may have to ring for stock.
    I got mine in Coolock.

• Advertisement

park500 wrote: »
    Halfords have some Boardman mtb end of line at 25% off. You will also get 10% off on top of that with AXA or 3+ app.
    I got Boardman mountain bike pro 29 reduced from 960 down to 680.
    Check website but you may have to ring for stock.
    I got mine in Coolock.

Checking Halfords there - is it this guy? I can see it says 25% off Boardman bikes, but it says it's already applied at €960. Is there a code or something to bring it down further?

Would something like that be better than the VooDoo? Or is it down to personal preference? I'm going to try get in to a few shops this week and try out some bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Checking Halfords there - is it this guy? I can see it says 25% off Boardman bikes, but it says it's already applied at €960. Is there a code or something to bring it down further?

Would something like that be better than the VooDoo? Or is it down to personal preference? I'm going to try get in to a few shops this week and try out some bikes.

Yes that's the one.
    The discounted priced is marked in store
    I'm not sure how accurate the stock checker is there- may need to ring around the stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If you can afford it, and your BTW can be used with online vendors, this is a serious deal.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/cube-reaction-tm-27-5-hardtail-bike-2018/rp-prod164834

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

I got the Megamo natural 40 on the Bike to Work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I got a Cube Attention SL having hired one in Ballyhoura previously. Possibly could have done more homework, but quite happy with my choice. Usually ride Ballyhoura as its fairly local, but have also done the Nire Valley Drop on it and didn't embarrass myself (I think :D ).

• Advertisement

Picked this up again recently and want to get something for the summer. Looking like Halfords and Chain Reaction Cycles are both not available on my Bike to Work Scheme. Any suggestions for somewhere good to looks for shops listed here - https://www.biketowork.ie/shops ?

I'm veering towards Moycullen as it's close by and I could pop in to try a few. Might pop out to Derroura and see what the rental crowd have in stock out there too to get a feel for different types.

Bawnmore wrote:
    I'm veering towards Moycullen as it's close by and I could pop in to try a few. Might pop out to Derroura and see what the rental crowd have in stock out there too to get a feel for different types.

My advice is still the same, Try out as many bikes as you can, particularly rentals on trails, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭ratracer

Try Kearney’s on the Headford Road also. They tend to have a good selection of brands at each price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

I have a Voodoo bizango... I love it.... Never had any problems... 😠Bike to work is awesome.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    My advice is still the same, Try out as many bikes as you can, particularly rentals on trails, best of luck

I'll do that - cheers.
    Try Kearney’s on the Headford Road also. They tend to have a good selection of brands at each price point.

I'd be around there on Saturday so I'll check that out - thanks.
    I have a Voodoo bizango... I love it.... Never had any problems... 😠Bike to work is awesome.

Halfords is a no go unfortunately. Something about the Bike to Work scheme available to me supporting independent bike shops, which is fair enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Halfords is a no go unfortunately. Something about the Bike to Work scheme available to me supporting independent bike shops, which is fair enough I guess.

Sounds like the same company I have to use - ordered a bike from Specialized and the bike to work company won't set them up on the system for the same reason! Frustrating as I actually will be using it to cycle to work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nak wrote: »
    Sounds like the same company I have to use - ordered a bike from Specialized and the bike to work company won't set them up on the system for the same reason! Frustrating as I actually will be using it to cycle to work.

Specialized or halfords won't give them the 10% cut they ask for, which is fair enough IMO, pity for you though

CramCycle wrote: »
    Specialized or halfords won't give them the 10% cut they ask for, which is fair enough IMO, pity for you though

Those shops want to work with that particular company but they aren't interested as they want to work with what they deem to be independent retailers only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

nak wrote: »
    Those shops want to work with that particular company but they aren't interested as they want to work with what they deem to be independent retailers only.

Fair play to them if true, an odd business model but far better than the main bike to work companies. the one my company uses can't use some companies as they won't give the 10% the company asked for. One of my co workers wanted a bike from Canyon, and after awhile of back and forth Canyon wrote to her, in a very confused tone, asking why her company could not just buy direct as the idea of giving 10% of their price to some random person who done nothing, not a bike shop, no assembly, not even an introduction or handles any admin or claims on their part, they thought it was insane. The whole middle man company is an insane idea considering they get the employee to do most of the work, and then get the company to double check it, which is what they would do if there was no middle man anyway.

I would imagine, and you can colour me cynical, that more realistically, small independent retailers will give them their cut so as to get the business, whereas bigger business won't.

Halfords work with An Post as the only non direct company IIRC, who charge less than the other main companies, I talked to a LBS owner about this, and it was a few % lower (although the card system they use was constantly failing to the point they just stopped using them), although I imagine Halfords were able to negotiate a better deal due to their size although that is pure waffle on my part.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Fair play to them if true, an odd business model but far better than the main bike to work companies. the one my company uses can't use some companies as they won't give the 10% the company asked for. One of my co workers wanted a bike from Canyon, and after awhile of back and forth Canyon wrote to her, in a very confused tone, asking why her company could not just buy direct as the idea of giving 10% of their price to some random person who done nothing, not a bike shop, no assembly, not even an introduction or handles any admin or claims on their part, they thought it was insane. The whole middle man company is an insane idea considering they get the employee to do most of the work, and then get the company to double check it, which is what they would do if there was no middle man anyway.

I would imagine, and you can colour me cynical, that more realistically, small independent retailers will give them their cut so as to get the business, whereas bigger business won't.

Halfords work with An Post as the only non direct company IIRC, who charge less than the other main companies, I talked to a LBS owner about this, and it was a few % lower (although the card system they use was constantly failing to the point they just stopped using them), although I imagine Halfords were able to negotiate a better deal due to their size although that is pure waffle on my part.

I have to agree with Canyon, it is odd and if they truly cared about supporting small businesses, why take 10% off them? In the end the middle man will lose out; if set on a particular bike, you will most likely but it anyway. I know I will.

• Advertisement

Going to head out to Derroura this evening and give a bike a try. The have hardtail and full suspension Scott bikes out there, so will go with the hardtail as that's what I'm looking at. Thanks again for the tip folks.

Few hours well spent. Got along well with the bike, but forgot to ask what model it was :o Maybe someone here will know.

My problem is I have no point of reference to base it off. I tried a 29" they had too, but the 27.5" felt more familiar so I went with that in the end. Was nice and nice and light, seemed to handle pretty well and stopped when I needed it to!

PANO-20190419-174444.jpg

IMG-20190419-174418.jpg

Bawnmore wrote:
    Few hours well spent. Got along well with the bike, but forgot to ask what model it was Maybe someone here will know.

Apologies, but I don't have a clue what model it is either, a quick Google search will probably reveal this.

Don't give up on the 29ers just yet, they've become extremely popular, so they must be good in many ways, I'm currently on a 27.5, but my next one could very well be a 29er

On a completely non related topic, what phone are you using, and where did you get it?

Few hours well spent. Got along well with the bike, but forgot to ask what model it was :o Maybe someone here will know.

My problem is I have no point of reference to base it off. I tried a 29" they had too, but the 27.5" felt more familiar so I went with that in the end. Was nice and nice and light, seemed to handle pretty well and stopped when I needed it to!

PANO-20190419-174444.jpg

IMG-20190419-174418.jpg

That's a Scott Aspect. Entry level xc bike, 100mm front fork, will munch miles but won't like anything steep. If you're getting an xc bike like that get a 29er. Rolls better and cuts some of the chatter that you'll get from smaller wheels. I started out on a Trek Mamba, pretty much Treks version of that, in 29er form.

Apologies, but I don't have a clue what model it is either, a quick Google search will probably reveal this.

Don't give up on the 29ers just yet, they've become extremely popular, so they must be good in many ways, I'm currently on a 27.5, but my next one could very well be a 29er

On a completely non related topic, what phone are you using, and where did you get it?

Cheers - I'll definitely give a 29er a go before I make a call on it.

Phone is Xiaomi Mi A1. Last 4 phones have been Xiaomi at this stage - could highly recommend them in general. Have a Redmi Note 7 on the way.

rizzodun wrote: »
    That's a Scott Aspect. Entry level xc bike, 100mm front fork, will munch miles but won't like anything steep. If you're getting an xc bike like that get a 29er. Rolls better and cuts some of the chatter that you'll get from smaller wheels. I started out on a Trek Mamba, pretty much Treks version of that, in 29er form.

What's the difference between a xc and a mountain bike in that case? Suspension setup?

What's the difference between a xc and a mountain bike in that case? Suspension setup?

xc stands for cross country, generally most hardtails(the bike you rented), are xc's

xc stands for cross country, generally most hardtails(the bike you rented), are xc's

As well as geometry. XC/Cross Country bikes tend to have a steeper head angle (basically how far the front wheel is angled from the front of the bike), a steeper head angle means the bike front is more underneath the handlebars which makes is trickier on descents, particularly technical drops (for ref, 69deg is steeper than 65deg). A slacker head angle makes the bike more stable down these as the front wheel is further in front and the bike is less likely to pitch you up and over the bars. However, if riding long distance and trails like Derroura are your thing, a XC bike will suit you fine. I rode mine for two years in my local woods and it served me well, while at the same time I'd never go back to that sort of bike again, but that's because my type of riding has changed.

There's a number of factors to consider when looking at a bike and you can get bogged down in the details, so decide on your riding conditions and terrain first and go from there. Just in my opinion!

rizzodun wrote: »
    As well as geometry. XC/Cross Country bikes tend to have a steeper head angle (basically how far the front wheel is angled from the front of the bike), a steeper head angle means the bike front is more underneath the handlebars which makes is trickier on descents, particularly technical drops (for ref, 69deg is steeper than 65deg). A slacker head angle makes the bike more stable down these as the front wheel is further in front and the bike is less likely to pitch you up and over the bars. However, if riding long distance and trails like Derroura are your thing, a XC bike will suit you fine. I rode mine for two years in my local woods and it served me well, while at the same time I'd never go back to that sort of bike again, but that's because my type of riding has changed.

There's a number of factors to consider when looking at a bike and you can get bogged down in the details, so decide on your riding conditions and terrain first and go from there. Just in my opinion!

i destroyed my xc on our trails, i really should have been using an enduro all along, but im amazed how much punishment it took

• Advertisement

i destroyed my xc on our trails, i really should have been using an enduro all along, but im amazed how much punishment it took

You don't know what you don't know. I did the same, plan to convert my xc bike for bikepacking, the most it'll see is a greenway or canal path in future.

Advertisement