Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebike Kits and fitting

Options
  • 06-11-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I have a road bike that I am looking to convert to an e-bike. I have been researching the different types of motors available and have finally settled on the Tsdz2 motor.

The difficulty I have is that my bottom bracket is not the standard 68 - 73mm size that these motors are designed for. I have a Shimano press fit bracket that I believe is a pf41 BB89 / BB92 because its roughly 90mm width.

Has anyone here ever built there own ebike using this motor or similar like the Bafang BBS02 and if you have did you need a 100mm adapter for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Bafang kits are bottom bracket specific, there is a small amount of adjustment using shims to get things perfect but a standard kit will not do for large bottom brackets and vice versa.

I don't know much about the kit you are thinking about but a quick Google brought this up.

Fits 95% of standard bike frames with 68-73mm bottom bracket.

So might not be suitable for your frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Bafang kits are bottom bracket specific, there is a small amount of adjustment using shims to get things perfect but a standard kit will not do for large bottom brackets and vice versa.

I don't know much about the kit you are thinking about but a quick Google brought this up.

Fits 95% of standard bike frames with 68-73mm bottom bracket.

So might not be suitable for your frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'd ask your question on www.pedelecs.co.uk. A UK supplier of the Tsdz2 motor is on there. There is a lot of information on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VeryRapidSkoda

I found this link https://www.electrifybike.com/store/p68/TSDZ2-Fat-Bike-Adapter.html which seems to show that it will likely fit but $115 dollars is fairly steep for an adapter. I haven't found any other suppliers yet.

I see the bafang bbshd has a 100mm and other size versions available but I am still looking for the TSDZ2 as it has a torque sensor and I think I would prefer to have more control over the power than the cadence type on the bafang.

I will give the pedelec forum a try and see what options there may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Endless-sphere is another good source of info, but maybe just stick with pedelec or it'll be overload.

I think a front wheel hub motor is still the simplest and cheapest conversion if you've no specific reason to go for a mid-drive. The split ring pedal sensors mean you don't have to remove the bottom bracket anymore (my least favorite job on a bike). Just make sure you've a solid front fork and get a torque arm too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry...can't help you with your bracket question ...but between the motor kit, the battery and the adapter you're going to spend at least 500 quid on the conversion.

Double that money and you could have a complete, solid bike with all the gear and the tsdz2 motor
    https://www.sachsenring-bikeshop.de/trekkingraeder/herren-trekkingraeder/64/28-herren-alu-ebike-pedelec-9-gang-e-tour-emil?c=111
    (I've got this one and am very happy with it)

and you get to keep your road bike for when you're feeling extra sporty :D

Advertisement