Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 20 – Brasil

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Harika wrote: »
    Update: Vettel fined €25 grand and reprimanded but as he did turn engine off and they did get car weight no disqualification. We have a race tomorrow!

Amazing how arrogant Hamilton is towards Sirotkin. If they hammered Vettel them they would have caused controversy by letting Hamilton off the hook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

vectra wrote:
    Apparently he was on an out lap, BUT It was till a dangerous move by lewis, Ans absolute nonsense what was done to Vettel. I suppose the FIA knew Vettel had pole and just wanted to upset him before his run.

Wrong on both counts. Siroktin should never have been in the position he was in. He was on an outlap and should have left sufficient space to the car in front nevermind actually overtaking. This is standard practice. Vettel was just being Idiotic, throwing one of his hissy fits. The cars engine must be switched off whilst on the scale. His ill tempered antics could have resulted in a marshal being injured. Throw the book at him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Did Vettel not get done for dangerously impeding Sainz in Austria during Qualifying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Inviere wrote: »
    Apparently Sky Italia are saying Lewis won't be penalised because Sirotkin was on an out lap...can anyone confirm? I thought he was on a timed lap myself. Still, should it not be reviewed under the potential dangers of the move, rather than how inconvenienced someone was?

I don't get this tbh. What Lewis did was very risky and out lap or not could have been dangerous. Also if what type of lap it is makes a difference then there should be no penalties for anything that happens in the practice sessions as they don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BikeRacer

Thank jebus the drivers championship is already decided otherwise this place would be in meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hamilton accusing Sirotkin of being disrespectful. Hamilton should have got a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Hamilton's dive left on Sirotkin was shocking. If it had been Verstappen who'd done it then he'd be getting lambasted. Basic driving: Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Manoeuvre. Ok, no signal in F1, but mirror yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Was this not on the final turn before the main straight? If so, it's right where you need to transition to race speed and being impeded there would indeed affect your flying lap time, not to mention debris from having two wheels off the track. I don't see how it being an outlap matters if this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think Hamiltons a bit lucky. He didn't impede a flying lap, so I think that helped. Would have been a bit messy if hit each other

Vettel didn't do himself any favours, I think lucky not to get a grid penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

it's right where you need to transition to race speed

You could similarly argue it was poor form of Sirotkin to pass a car there which was about to go onto a flying lap. Having read Lewis' comments, I feel Sergey broke with standard etiquette regards drivers ahead who are building gaps, something they generally all adhere to.

Glad Seb wasn't affected by the penalty re the weigh in...we've a proper fight on tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Another thing I copped after the post qualifying interview performed by Di Resta. When he finished talking to Hamilton, Di Resta interviewed Vettel. But the first part of that interview was inaudible as Hamilton went off winding the crowd up and getting them to cheer all over Vettel's interview. This is ridiculous disrespectful behaviour from a man who not only is a multi world champion, but had the audacity to accuse Sirotkin of disrespect after almost wiping the guy out. The chap is brilliant driver only for it all to go wrong the instant he opens his gob. He's in bell end territory carrying on like this.

Ted's Notebook there now didn't mention Hamilton or Mercedes at all, did it? Spent almost half of it talking about Vettel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Lads, if yee hate skys British bias then why do you bother watch it all. We know they are biased. There's no point complaining about it on an Irish forum. Learn German or Italian, put up a new satellite dish or stream it on IPTV and see grass is greener on the other side.

Both Vettel and Hamilton should have been penalised today.

To give credit to Channel 4, they are a usually a lot more neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

chicorytip wrote: »
    Wrong on both counts. Siroktin should never have been in the position he was in. He was on an outlap and should have left sufficient space to the car in front nevermind actually overtaking. This is standard practice. Vettel was just being Idiotic, throwing one of his hissy fits. The cars engine must be switched off whilst on the scale. His ill tempered antics could have resulted in a marshal being injured. Throw the book at him!

Sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong.

Where in the rule book does it say another driver MUST line up behind Hamilton just because he is getting ready for a flying lap?
    Hamilton is nothing short of a clown for what he did today, He should have just let Sergio go ahead,

Secondly.
    Vettel DID in fact turn his engine off.

Ill tempered antics you say??

Look at what Hamilton did twice on the same lap.
    Sauntering away slap bang in the middle of the track, without a care in the world for other drivers, like a farmer looking over a ditch.
    Zero respect for drivers on their flying lap
    IE
    Kimi,

And as we are on that topic,
    I didn't see where Hamilton apologized to Kimi over this, Did you?

recyclebin wrote: »
    Lads, if yee hate skys British bias then why do you bother watch it all. We know they are biased. There's no point complaining about it on an Irish forum. Learn German or Italian, put up a new satellite dish or stream it on IPTV and see grass is greener on the other side.

Both Vettel and Hamilton should have been penalised today.

To give credit to Channel 4, they are a usually a lot more neutral.

I have no problem with Sky's coverage. It's second to none and much more extensive and interesting than either Channel 4, RAI or RTL. I've never really found them over-biased, no more than RTE are any time anyone Irish does anything of interest. I just wasn't sure if I missed Ted's usual piece on Mercedes, but I don't think he did one.

• Advertisement

I think Hamiltons a bit lucky. He didn't impede a flying lap, so I think that helped. Would have been a bit messy if hit each other

Really?

Look at this and tell me he didn't impede anyone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »
    Update: Vettel fined €25 grand and reprimanded but as he did turn engine off and they did get car weight no disqualification. We have a race tomorrow!

Fined €25 grand for what. It was ridiculous what the FIA done as they knew it would affect him. I think Q3 would have been much m ore exciting had they not brought him in and can't blame Vettel for being annoyed about it. As it was it ruined Q3 and made it almost predictable.
    Q2 was the best session.

Well done to Leclerc and Sauber. That was some lap by Leclerc and it was great to see the two Saubers in Q3.

Hopefully we get a good race now.

Not sure if Hamilton got a penalty or not but it was definitely a 3 place grid penalty in my opinion for what he done.

If not I think we should complain to the FIA about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

vectra wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong.

Where in the rule book does it say another driver MUST line up behind Hamilton just because he is getting ready for a flying lap?
    Hamilton is nothing short of a clown for what he did today, He should have just let Sergio go ahead,

Secondly.
    Vettel DID in fact turn his engine off.

Ill tempered antics you say??

Look at what Hamilton did twice on the same lap.
    Sauntering away slap bang in the middle of the track, without a care in the world for other drivers, like a farmer looking over a ditch.
    Zero respect for drivers on their flying lap
    IE
    Kimi,

And as we are on that topic,
    I didn't see where Hamilton apologized to Kimi over this, Did you?

I love these posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Whatever about Hamilton's on track behaviour - both incidents could be seen as some sort of misunderstanding. We had drivers penalized for less this season, I know, but still.

Same about Vettel's weird timing for a weigh in call (IIRC, these are randomized) and the somewhat understandable annoyance.

The extremely important, absolutely grave issue here is a senior FIA delegate (Jo Bauer) levelling unfounded accusations at a driver; accusations that were reiterated (Sky's pitlane commentator at some point mentioned somebody, maybe Jo Bauer himself, saying that Vettel "absolutely didn't switch the engine off on the scale") and that could be immediately proven wrong live, in front of a global audience, by anybody with half a brain and a pair of ears watching the footage - as you very clearly hear the engine switching off and then being cranked up again using ERS power.

If not glaring proof of bias, as it can be effectively argued that the same could have happened with any other driver, it certainly is proof of extreme incompetence.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    I love these posts.

Delighted for you :rolleyes::pac::pac:

I have no problem with Sky's coverage. It's second to none and much more extensive and interesting than either Channel 4, RAI or RTL. I've never really found them over-biased, no more than RTE are any time anyone Irish does anything of interest. I just wasn't sure if I missed Ted's usual piece on Mercedes, but I don't think he did one.

I've looked at the Notebook again and he did spend a couple of minutes talking about Lewis alright. I missed it first time around.

I've looked at the Notebook again and he did spend a couple of minutes talking about Lewis alright. I missed it first time around.

They speak about him as much as possible. They are in no way balanced in their views of him. Sometimes I think David Croft wants to marry the man such is his obsession.

If people think the Hamilton complaints are bad now, the next 5 years of F1 coverage will be interesting should ‘Sir’ Hamilton stick around. I’d say once the first lap is over in the race I’ll switch off if he maintains the lead.

Croft already onto another Hamilton stat yesterday in that he has never won a race in the same season after being crowned champion.

I don’t think I’ve ever been this disinterested in F1 in 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I don’t think I’ve every been this disinterested in F1 in 20 years.

Same here, but I don't know if that's just me, or how terrible the sport has become

They speak about him as much as possible. They are in no way balanced in their views of him. Sometimes I think David Croft wants to marry the man such is his obsession.

British commentators in worshiping British world champion driver shocker.

British commentators in worshiping British world champion driver shocker.

They worshiped,Hill, father & son, Mansell, but they were nothing in this level. No issues with worship but at least be balanced at the same time which sky aren’t.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Same here, but I don't know if that's just me, or how terrible the sport has become

Looking back at some of the classic races sky air every few days it’s clear to see the sport has become terrible. My sky subscription for the F1 channel is gone after Abu Dhabi.

They worshiped,Hill, father & son, Mansell, but they were nothing in this level. No issues with worship but at least be balanced at the same time which sky aren’t.

That's the way it is these days though, it's all hype/sensation/shock/clicks et al. Isn't there a BBC writer who takes the Hamilton love to an all new high? It's not just Sky. You'll probably find Sky Germany talk about Seb all day long, and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Looking back at some of the classic races sky air every few days it’s clear to see the sport has become terrible. My sky subscription for the F1 channel is gone after Abu Dhabi.

I don't think I'd ever officially pay for it, my current method of access is doing me just fine, but can be problematic, to be fair, I do think it's partly myself, I've moved onto other things in life, but I do think the introduction of big money in the sport is destroying it

This is my first year of Sky F1 channel and I have to say I love it. It's sparked my interest in F1 again since getting it as you get so see so much more on the drivers, science, history, behind the scenes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Jesus the hyperbole is over the top. F1 is as it worst for 20 years because of yesterday?! That's ridiculous, there has been a genuine scrap for the driver's championship. The constructors isn't decided yet and the midfield were separated by a gnat's ball hair in qualy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm furious that Hamilton wasn't even investigated for the incidents. But my reason for that anger is the blatant hypocrisy that exists within the sport. For Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull the rules are different. If Perez did what Hamilton did yesterday people would be calling for bans and at the very least he would have been investigated. If Sirotkin pulled a Vettel he would have been disqualified

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever officially pay for it, my current method of access is doing me just fine, but can be problematic, to be fair, I do think it's partly myself, I've moved onto other things in life, but I do think the introduction of big money in the sport is destroying it

I’ve been paying for Sky since the outset, but this is my last year. If there is other FTA Motorsport on then I’ll definitely watch it, my interest is more than F1.

Big money and the ever increasing amount of pay drivers who are useless are doing big damage.

Liberty weren’t impressed by the exclusive deal Sky have but Bernie Ecclestone made sure he got one big final payday before leaving.

That's the way it is these days though, it's all hype/sensation/shock/clicks et al. Isn't there a BBC writer who takes the Hamilton love to an all new high? It's not just Sky. You'll probably find Sky Germany talk about Seb all day long, and so forth.

Thank god I’m not multilingual. I even hated it when RTÉ were OTT about Jordan, mind you Peter Collins was a major part of that hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I gave up on Sky F1, watch the coverage on Eir now just straight to the racing. I'm not happy with the race clashing with the Manchester derby this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Ricciardo is so likeable

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I'm not happy with the race clashing with the Manchester derby this evening

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Christian Horner saying that it's looking like it'll be a dry race. Ocon's radio saying that there's a bit of light rain at the moment. Hopefully this will be fun!

Max is looking feisty!

What an overtake by Max!

• Advertisement
    Ms

Both Ferrari's having slow starts. Great racing by Max. Great start by Bottas.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Bottas is in road block mode to give Mercedes a gap at the front.

Great pass again from Max, get after Hamilton now

Ms

And Max does it again. Some racer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Max has this won at this pace

Come on Kimi!

• Advertisement

Feckin Bottas.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

This new fondness for switching to on boards for wheel to wheel action is driving me up the wall. Can't see whats actually happening in relation to the track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I just realised this is live on Sky one today!

Kimi dropping back a bit? And Bottas in.

Ms

Awe not going well for Marcus Ericcson.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement