Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Royal Rumble 2019 *Spoilers* (No betting odds)

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I was thinking Drew coukd be a possibility. Big E was in my thoughts. All behind Strowman and Rollins tho.

Who would Drew take on at Mania?? He's likely to take Lars Sullivan spot of a Cena match.
    Big E had absolutely no chance joking around with pancakes and Tony Chimel.
    Strowman has lost a lot of momentum & nobody wants to see the Lesnar match which showed in the last few weeks.
    You could do the Bryan match but I doubt they want to move any more people off Raw in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I went to bed about 7 or 8 entrants into the mens Rumble and I’m glad I did. The women’s Rumble, Becky v Asuka, Lesnar v Balor were the highlights of the night.

Looking forward to see if Becky will turn up on Raw now to get in Ronda’s face.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Becky winning is just brilliant. Well deserved and even better when, to an outsider, she appeared to gave a tough time initially in NXT/developmental. Had her problems as a young lady with injuries etc.

Was it Nikki Bella who said that, while it may take longer, Becky was the one to watch from the NXT four? From an in ring to finding a money persona she is now the stand out. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The women's rumble was much much better compared to other men's.

The commentary team were always connecting all the little feuds even back to NXT so it looked like there was a deep history between everyone with a great finish which got the reaction of the night.

Where as the men's was ok comedy segment, legends segment, middle lull with a Kofi spot or 2, a surprise that the audience took a giant poo on then finish.
    It seemed like very little stories were being played out ( now maybe I was too tired and had zoned out of the commentary at that point) and very little long term hitoryvir grudges being played out

I still think if Finn had stayed in the ring after the Brock match, and had gotten to the final four or five, even if he didn't win would have made him a superstar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Adored that show really.

First off, the women's Rumble. Started slow, but had a really good mix of young and current talent, and I liked there was no "Older" talent too. The focus was on the right people, the booking was super solid. Yes, the first half suffered from what every Rumble does.

But the ending has to be one of my favorite ever. I felt the story was pretty predictable from the moment Becky/Asuka opened the show. But predicatble doesn't always mean bad. This was exactly the story that was wanted and needed, and they. nailed. it. Brilliant.

Men's was a bit more solid overall; again, like the mix of Uk and NXT guys. Double J was a surprise. I felt Rollin's WAS too predictable, but I'm also aware that it was set up for the best story they have to tell in Rollins vs Brock.

Enjoyed Brock/Finn, enjoyed Sasha/Ronda. Enjoyed it overall.

Oh, I'm also going to add...

Nia Jax's appearance probably gave me one of my top 10 all time favorite written moments.

When she got in and threw Ali over, my head was thinking "I don't think there's a guy wrestler who is capable of beating up a woman and coming out of it looking good."

And, perfectly timed, it cuts to Orton's grin, and I was thinking "Oh man, I was wrong!"

That was such a perfectly filmed moment. The camera work gets a lot of criticism at times, and rightly so. But they hesitated that cut just perfectly to form that question in peoples mind, and framed the answer brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Thought Kacy Catanzaro and Rhea were really impressive. Had to google Kacy's height because she looked far smaller than even Alexa or Kairi. She's 5'0. Rhea throwing women around the place will be fun when she's called up.

Ali looked good in the men's and I'm glad he got a big cheer for eliminating Joe.

Rowan, what?

Becky/Asuka and Ronda/Sasha really delivered. The finish to Becky/Asuka was so smooth. Asuka is great.

I was enjoying Brock/Finn but then the commentary went totally overboard on "Finn is going to win!" so my cynicism took me out of the end of that match.

Also, people don't like Shane beating main roster guys and I get that but I love his spots. His shooting star wows me more than the multiple flips that some of the guys 20+ years younger can do.

Edit: Because Lord reminded me. Nia looked far more comfortable in there with the men. It was a brilliant moment and risky too; A woman getting super-kicked, 619'd and RKO'd and the crowd ate it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Decent event, think it's being slightly over-rated because Becky won. The Rumble matches were quite boring, they need to stop doing Kofi's stupid spots, hopefully next year someone just destroys him and dumps him out straight away. Singles matches were much better, really enjoyed the 205 live crew too.

Mandy Rose eliminating Naomi after her Kofi-inspired save was the moment of the night :D

My heart wanted Kofi to win, but I always laugh....whenever they have these dramatic "survival" spots, the person is nearly always booked to get eliminated quickly after. I get it's because that way, if they screw up the spot, the match itself isn't thrown into chaos. But it always bugs me how quickly the likes of Kofi gets bundled out post survival spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not a big wrestling fan but have been watching some of the older stuff on youtube recently, and was around last night so decided to check out the Rumble.

Seriously, I don't get how anybody can take the womens rumble seriously? I thought it was painful at times in how obvious everybody was doing their spots. I mean, I get it like, its all scripted and people are playing their parts, but at least in the mens matches they make it look somewhat natural when an elimination happens. That womens rumble was a long parade of people climbing up on the ropes themselves because otherwise the women couldn't lift them high enough to chuck them out. I'm serious, the guys can throw somebody straight out, but how many times did I see a woman straight up climbing the ropes herself so that an opponent could then finish them off? It was painfully obvious. Early in the match I was wondering to myself if it would be politically correct to have the top rope be lower just to help them out.

I also got bored of the whole gimmick where a new entrant comes into the ring and gets the spotlight for a short time, gets to knock down 3 or 4 people and do their thing while the rest of the entrants are all resting in the corners doing nothing. Rinse and repeat for the next person.

I assume this is all early days for the women and the quality will improve over time? I did like Rhea Ripley, I thought she came across very realistic as the sort of entrant that would clean house as opposed to that Nia Jax wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

Hanging today.

Watched the whole preshow and lasted until Drew McIntyre's entrance into the rumble. woke up on the armchair around 8.00. Just on my 7th cup of coffee, if I can steal an hours kip when i get home, i'm staying up to see if becky makes an appearance on raw.

thought becky v asuka was great and i didnt think she (becky) came off weak at all. defeat for asuka would have being terrible for her after the 2018 she had. delighted becky got to compete in the rumble and nearly woke the kids with a roar when she won.

shane/miz v the bar, arraghh. do not want to watch another mcmahon wm match. the last two times the bar have lost the tag team titles was to two makey up teams. (last year at wm the other one). they deserve better.

was hoping sasha would steal a win last night againts rousey. wasnt a bad match.

very impressed with rhea ripley when she came in. can see her in a feud with nia jax at some point. was cheering for natalya for first time ever thanks to the pool draw. well done on lasting 55 mins.

Can see flair lodging an objection to finlay giving becky the ok to compete in the RR? Crowd was becky mad, at all stages. she has to close out wm now as the victor in the main event.

never thought i would miss first 10 minutes of a db v aj match to use the toilet, make a bowl of cornflakes and have a cig break. even after that, i just couldnt get into it. it was placed in the worst spot. will harper join rowan in being a new db worshipper before wm?

thought the finn match was great, and was delighted at the amount of offence he got in. hopefully there is a rematch soon, this time v the demon. part of me thought heyman was going to turn on lesnar.

as for the main event, only got to number 15/16. adam rose version two was the last straw and last thing i can remember is drew fighting some of the conga line. unfortunately, the victor was spoiled on me when i looked at my phone this morning, but will watch the end later on.

thumbs up for the becky and finn stuff. but 7 hours of wrestling, after watching nxt the night before, and raw and smackdown still to come, is far to much.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Devil's Advocate - If Becky chooses to fight Ronda at Mania, is it because she wants to go to Raw and defeat her, or is it because she is really afraid of Asuka and doesn't want to get tapped out again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Devil's Advocate - If Becky chooses to fight Ronda at Mania, is it because she wants to go to Raw and defeat her, or is it because she is really afraid of Asuka and doesn't want to get tapped out again?

I think the best path forward is for Becky to move to Raw and challenge Ronda.

Asuka has unfinished business with Charlotte and I would not be opposed to a rematch from last year with the roles (to a degree) reversed.

Nia Jax VS Orton would be hilarious, I actually wouldn't be against it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd love Becky to win the SD title at EC and then fight Ronda at WM for the Raw title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the women's rumble and Battle Royals, I always wonder why he NXT representatives consist of ones who don't appear on NXT television. Can't remember the last time I saw Xia or Kacy (Random Kacy facts: she was Stephen Amell's trainer on celeb Ninja Warrior and she's dating Ricochet - must give the term "bedroom gymnastics" a whole new meaning). Not saying they don't deserve the spot but if they're just going to disappear again without building on the momentum, then it's a bad idea.
    Great to see Becky win. Thought for a second that Bayley, Charlotte and Becky would team up to get rid of Nia, but they seem to be getting rid of any notion of a horsewomen match.

For the Daniel Bryan match, I got through it pretty quickly. Wonder if they'll use Bryan's previous time with the Wyatt Family to explain Rowan helping?

The men's rumble seemed to drag a lot more than the women's. Why are New Day the only tag team taking part, taking up 3 spots in the process. Would love to know the thinking overall of who gets in the Rumble. Like why is No Way Jose there and Rusev not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Great to see Becky win. Thought for a second that Bayley, Charlotte and Becky would team up to get rid of Nia, but they seem to be getting rid of any notion of a horsewomen match.

There is surely gonna be some sort of Horsewomen match after Sasha raising the 4 fingers to Ronda. Maybe this will be at Elimination Chamber?

Then at Mania have Becky vs Ronda or Becky v Ronda v Charlotte and have the remaining Horsewomen in a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 tag match at a mania??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There is surely gonna be some sort of Horsewomen match after Sasha raising the 4 fingers to Ronda. Maybe this will be at Elimination Chamber?

Then at Mania have Becky vs Ronda or Becky v Ronda v Charlotte and have the remaining Horsewomen in a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 tag match at a mania??

Horsewomen match is nowhere near ready, Ronda and Shayna can go in the ring but the other two make Dana Brooke and Lana look gifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if they are going to make it a triple threat with Charlotte which im certain they will

i think they should strip Becky of the win saying she wasnt a real competitor in the match so doesnt count and Charlotte be the winner and have Becky have to earn her way back in again. This suits her character and what she always says about Charlotte being handed everything.

granted id prefer becky vs ronda then charlotte/askua rematch but i feel charlotte is going to be in the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Andrade and Ziggler facing off made my mind slip for about 30 seconds for either to make it so far was frustrating when it looked like either was going all the way, they missed a chance to have someone beat up someone and do a heel turn and take their place Cena Bray Zack Ryder(he would make a great heel) instead we got something different to say the least was a fun night I can't see the crowd miming the winners theme tonight unless they bring power tools

• Advertisement

Exclusive fan footage of Charlotte and Lacey Evans facing off.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lord TSC wrote: »

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Think they call that a Zerks in the United thread!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109260006&postcount=511

Wonder if Fit Finlay will get involved in a storyline now since he gave the okay for Becky to take part and could be accused of playing favourites, being Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I thought it was Pat Patterson not Finley :o

J. Marston wrote: »
    Think they call that a Zerks in the United thread!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109260006&postcount=511

Great minds :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Lacry Evsns is the spit of Shirley Carter

Charlotte when angry is more like Cora.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I feel like every PPV these days I leave with one big takeaway (often after eating one big takeaway during it too)... These PPVs are just too long!

I mean I honestly don't know if Bryan vs AJ was good as, despite trying not to, I zoned out for much of it just cos of how long the show was. The same could be said for a few matches probably.

Takeovers have great wrestling on them no doubt but the length is also making me enjoy them far more as I actually give the matches on them the attention they deserve even if I didn't watch the shows building up to them unlike the main roster PPVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i love that the takeovers are short shows in comparison but a lot of great talent are sitting back in florida when there on missing out because of the length. i think a lot of the better matches are been given more time now i mean theres very few ppv matches under the 10 minute mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't know why WWE don't make the Big 4 two day events. Crowd would be way hotter and audience would have time to digest what they've seen and get hyped for day 2, like a music festival. Most visitors are gonna be in the city for the weekend anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't know why WWE don't make the Big 4 two day events. Crowd would be way hotter and audience would have time to digest what they've seen and get hyped for day 2, like a music festival. Most visitors are gonna be in the city for the weekend anyway.

They already are two-day events when you factor in NXT Takeover. Adding another day of wrestling on top of that is far too much, a bad idea IMO.

I like it the way it is, hell I’d like it even more if it went back to just four hours, cut out all the filler and give us a few high quality matches with a meaningful build-up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

martyos121 wrote: »
    They already are two-day events when you factor in NXT Takeover. Adding another day of wrestling on top of that is far too much, a bad idea IMO.

I like it the way it is, hell I’d like it even more if it went back to just four hours, cut out all the filler and give us a few high quality matches with a meaningful build-up.

3 hours 30 would be loads.

They also have the Raw and Smackdown so they are 4 day events for many.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

martyos121 wrote: »

4 hours for the main and 1 hour preshow more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pray for me

Have too watch the rumble ppv in full again with friends who were working Sunday and avoided all spoilers til tonight

Biting my tongue about results lol

Tell them the odds for Rollins.
    Do they know you watched already? Why would they make you watch again?

You should just start getting excited near the end of Becky's match like you know she's going to win

Tell them the odds for Rollins.
    Do they know you watched already? Why would they make you watch again?

You should just start getting excited near the end of Becky's match like you know she's going to win

Amazingly they avoided all social media and spoilers since Sunday but I watched it live and promised too keep it quite

Few pints is helping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Amazingly they avoided all social media and spoilers since Sunday but I watched it live and promised too keep it quite

Few pints is helping

Did you text them the betting odds on Rollins like another poster did here and ruined it on everyone? :mad::mad:

turdball wrote: »
    Did you text them the betting odds on Rollins like another poster did here and ruined it on everyone? :mad::mad:

That person should be banned from all the pro wrestling forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭shineon23

That person should be banned from all the pro wrestling forum

To protect the identity of the spoiler,

was it a certain Mr. P Power?

No that's too obvious, was it a Mr. Paddy P?

I'll get my coat

Few pints is helping

Test your memory and see if you can remember who's out next, who they eliminate and who eliminates then

Test your memory and see if you can remember who's out next, who they eliminate and who eliminates then

Remembered a few

A few pints and tiredness made me feel like it's the first time I've seen those rumbles lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I lasted 4 weeks with out knowing who won the rumble, it’s not hard if you don’t go to wrestling news sites

• Advertisement
Advertisement