Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best place for dollars

• 06-11-2018 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭

Going away next. Where is the best place to get dollars? Prefer cash only as I am staying with family so won't be stolen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AIB are currently best, their sell rate for USD notes is 1.1255 so USD 200 will cost you EUR 179.48 incl.1% commission.

The rule with over the counter FX cash is simple, An Post is never the best rate, even allowing for their 'no commission' BS. On a given day, check AIB and BoI and go with the better rate. The rate in An Post is set every day by pitching it between the AIB and BoI rates.

Today, An Post is selling dollars at 1.1061 which is about the same as the BoI rate (1.1074) but even with a 1% commission (max EUR 1.27), AIB is better.

To buy USD 200 today, this is the cost in Euros.....

AIB €179.48 (incl. 1% commission)
    An Post €180.82 (no commission but as usual, not the best effective rate)
    BoI €182.41 (incl. 1% commission)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Revolut selling @ 1.14XXX so 200 dollars costs you 175.18 euro

I know he said cash only - but you can withdraw free from Revolut (minus atm 3 dollar fee). If he buys 2000 that might work out better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

jme2010 wrote: »
    Revolut selling @ 1.14XXX so 200 dollars costs you 175.18 euro

I know he said cash only - but you can withdraw free from Revolut (minus atm 3 dollar fee). If he buys 2000 that might work out better.

2% charge on every dollar over the $200 a month allowed, unless you're a premium member I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm going to preorder with AIB for next Wednesday. 1500 is what I'm hoping to change. 3 weeks away well be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

cena wrote: »
    Going away next. Where is the best place to get dollars? Prefer cash only as I am staying with family so won't be stolen

use Revolut family rob you from past experience , lifes a c unt

• Advertisement

Elvisjuice wrote: »
    use Revolut family rob you from past experience , lifes a c unt

Never had the problem. No apps needed

Went.to AIB today went in with 1750 and came out with 1650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Went.to AIB today went in with 1750 and came out with 1650

AIB is quoting a 'sell' rate for dollars on Nov. 14th of 1.1134 which means that ....

If you 'went in with 1750' Euros, you should have 'come out with' USD 1,948.45

and in case you transposed the numbers..... if you went in with EUR 1,650, you would have come out with USD 1,837

coylemj wrote: »
    AIB is quoting a 'sell' rate for dollars on Nov. 14th of 1.1134 which means that ....

If you 'went in with 1750' Euros, you should have 'come out with' USD 1,948.45

and in case you transposed the numbers..... if you went in with EUR 1,650, you would have come out with USD 1,837

So I was robbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

So I was robbed

Robbed fūćking blind lad. Holy mother of god. How the hell did you come out with less dollars then you went in with in euro. Thats actually hilarious if you have the numbers right.

Oh and revolut would have converted that to $1983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So I was robbed

You were told to use revolut.

Besides everywhere takes card over there. Cash isn't needed. It was silly to go get cash. Plain silly.

Next time heed the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

listermint wrote: »
    You were told to use revolut.

Besides everywhere takes card over there. Cash isn't needed. It was silly to go get cash. Plain silly.

Next time heed the advice.

Yeah, I don't understand the desire to be carrying around a few thousand dollars in cash?!

First of all it's bulky! Once you start using it you'll be getting back smaller notes in change, like $1 dollar bills. You'll need a bag to carry money around :)

Secondly, you're leaving yourself open to theft! get the revolut card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

So I was robbed

Do you have the receipt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Do you have the receipt?

The receipt will show everything about the transaction

Do you have the receipt?

Not on me. I think a complaint well be going to AIB

Advertisement