Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTTH Installation

• 06-11-2018 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

We are living in a rural area on a country road and are  eligible to get FTTH. We are an eir customer and ordered the FTTH package. Our installation was set for October 2018. KN Networks called out, the first time for a survey and the second time was to do the installation.

The second visit they arrived and as the guy was waiting on a hoist to access the pole outside the house he done all the work on the property, put the cable through the underground ducting, drilled a hole in the front of the house, and got the new cable into the house everything was ok here.

When the hoist came he got access to the pole outside the property with the black box (for the fibre), however when he checked this he said he couldn't get a fibre signal and couldn't complete the installation. He said there was a fault somewhere between this black box and the next black box which is located around 300 meters down the same road. This black box is working and active and they were able to successfully connect a house with FTTH there on the same day. The guy said he would log a fault and it would be eir's responsibility to fix the fault and when this was done he would come back and complete the installation.

After they left I took a walk down the road and checked the fibre cable the whole way between the two black boxes, the cable runs overground on poles the entire way. Around 100 meters down the road I noticed the fibre cable was damaged between 2 poles and lying on the ditch. This is highly likely to be where the fault is, all the other polls are ok. The polls do run down next to where there was a forest which was cleared earlier this year so likely this is how the damage occurred. Photos are available if you want. The polls are around 15 meters apart.

First thing even though KN logged a fault I do not think they saw the damaged cable between the polls they did not mention this at all and you would not notice this easily if you were driving down because of the hedgerow and trees, so eir would not be aware of this specifically.

Also there is six houses including my own who are eligible for FTTH who are effected by this fault. Three have already had installations with KN Networks and they have all failed for the same thing line not active. Another neighbour said he is going to look for the FTTH as well, not sure of the other two houses. So as of now there are four of the six houses waiting on this to be fixed.

Obviously we are anxious to get this fixed within a reasonable time-frame how long before we could get someone out to look at this. Also anyone know what happens with damaged or cut fibre cables can they be joined or do they have to replace a section of line you would think with all the storms in recent years this wouldn't be a big problem to fix.

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

gofree wrote: »
    Hi

We are living in a rural area on a country road and are  eligible to get FTTH. We are an eir customer and ordered the FTTH package. Our installation was set for October 2018. KN Networks called out, the first time for a survey and the second time was to do the installation.

The second visit they arrived and as the guy was waiting on a hoist to access the pole outside the house he done all the work on the property, put the cable through the underground ducting, drilled a hole in the front of the house, and got the new cable into the house everything was ok here.

When the hoist came he got access to the pole outside the property with the black box (for the fibre), however when he checked this he said he couldn't get a fibre signal and couldn't complete the installation. He said there was a fault somewhere between this black box and the next black box which is located around 300 meters down the same road. This black box is working and active and they were able to successfully connect a house with FTTH there on the same day. The guy said he would log a fault and it would be eir's responsibility to fix the fault and when this was done he would come back and complete the installation.

After they left I took a walk down the road and checked the fibre cable the whole way between the two black boxes, the cable runs overground on poles the entire way. Around 100 meters down the road I noticed the fibre cable was damaged between 2 poles and lying on the ditch. This is highly likely to be where the fault is, all the other polls are ok. The polls do run down next to where there was a forest which was cleared earlier this year so likely this is how the damage occurred. Photos are available if you want. The polls are around 15 meters apart.

First thing even though KN logged a fault I do not think they saw the damaged cable between the polls they did not mention this at all and you would not notice this easily if you were driving down because of the hedgerow and trees, so eir would not be aware of this specifically.

Also there is six houses including my own who are eligible for FTTH who are effected by this fault. Three have already had installations with KN Networks and they have all failed for the same thing line not active. Another neighbour said he is going to look for the FTTH as well, not sure of the other two houses. So as of now there are four of the six houses waiting on this to be fixed.

Obviously we are anxious to get this fixed within a reasonable time-frame how long before we could get someone out to look at this. Also anyone know what happens with damaged or cut fibre cables can they be joined or do they have to replace a section of line you would think with all the storms in recent years this wouldn't be a big problem to fix.

Regards

Hi gofree, 

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your service, I understand this is frustrating.

Our faults team via 1901 will need to look into this for you, they can add the additional notes if required so we are aware of the situation and they can update you on a timeframe also. 

Thanks

Tracey 

Advertisement