Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can secondary schools stop you from dying your hair

Options
  • 06-11-2018 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So today i was told by my vice principal that if i die my hair they will refuse to let me into school. I thought this was extremely old fasioned and sexist as girls are allowed to bleach their hair blonde. I was wondering are they within their rights to stop me getting an education if i dye my hair fyi im dying my hair grey which is a natural colour and it states in my school rules that studemts may have their hair natural colours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

If there are girls in your school dyeing their hair blonde it would be totally unfair and unreasonable if anyone had an issue with it.
    I have no idea why you want to die your hair grey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Kianrooney wrote: »
    I was wondering are they within their rights to stop me getting an education if i dye my hair

But they wouldn't stop you from getting an education would they? They'd just not be the ones giving it to you, be nothing to stop you getting it elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What does the code of conduct you signed up to on enrolment say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

How does the vice principal have any knowledge of your hair?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Kianrooney wrote: »
    So today i was told by my vice principal that if i die my hair they will refuse to let me into school. I thought this was extremely old fasioned and sexist as girls are allowed to bleach their hair blonde. I was wondering are they within their rights to stop me getting an education if i dye my hair fyi im dying my hair grey which is a natural colour and it states in my school rules that studemts may have their hair natural colours
    Have their hair its natural colour or have any "artificial" natural colour -the exact wording is the key here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How did the VP know you were planning to dye your hair. Sounds like a teenage rebellion is afoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If it says no hair dye in the code of conduct then deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

It's "dye" not "die". It'd be more in your line to concentrate on your spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

surprised.... but there is a thread about a ban on hair dye in a Galway secondary, under Legal Discussion board.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd hope the OP is under an assumed name!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd hope the OP is under an assumed name!

Bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Why would you want to go bald? If your hair dies, your natural colour will be pinkish..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

pawdee wrote: »
    It's "dye" not "die". It'd be more in your line to concentrate on your spelling.

Condescending much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

When I was in secondary school some guy dyed his hair in a leopard print pattern, brown and blonde. Both natural colours. They sent him home and made him shave it that day.

Advertisement