Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident claim incoming, knock on effect

Options
  • 06-11-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I'll try and keep this short:

Had an accident at a traffic light and crashed into the back of someone. They have claimed for their car €3000 and that's settled, mines probably going to be written off as quote for repairs higher than car value. Insurance company said discount would drop from 75% to 60% driving premium from €500 to €800.

Just received confirmation they are now claiming for damages, I know no one can answer exactly but roughly what effect would this have? I assume an injury claim means 5 figures so would this cause my premium to be loaded?

Appreciate any idea on what I could be looking at?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Worst case scenario is that you lose your NCB totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The other Party is entering a Personal Injuries claim...and you think the OP will just lose their No-Claims ?

Good luck with that OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The other Party is entering a Personal Injuries claim...and you think the OP will just lose their No-Claims ?

Good luck with that OP.

Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

How long is a piece of string.
    You asked would your premium be loaded if there is/was a personal injuries claim against you.
    Yes, it will. And that's after you go back to zero No-Claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They could get 1000s if not 10000 or more all depends.

Your premium will increase of course but like anything to do with insurance they don't even know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

The problem is now that there is a open injury claim against you, you are stuck with your insurance provider until its settled and they will charge you whatever they like. I had a recent claim against me, it was settled quickly for 18000 euro, premium went from 600 to 2400. no claims bonus went from 50% down to 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can you elaborate?

Contact your solr.

Why would it make any difference to the OP whether or not the other person puts in a personal injury claim?

I figured such a thing would be neither here nor there? OP caused an accident, surely the severity of the accident shouldn't be taken into account (ie; it seems unfair to penalise the OP more for a multi-car pileup on the motorway than side-swiping a single vehicle on a back road.. it's not like the OP is doing either deliberately..?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Why would it make any difference to the OP whether or not the other person puts in a personal injury claim?

I figured such a thing would be neither here nor there? OP caused an accident, surely the severity of the accident shouldn't be taken into account (ie; it seems unfair to penalise the OP more for a multi-car pileup on the motorway than side-swiping a single vehicle on a back road.. it's not like the OP is doing either deliberately..?).

Well seeing as it's the insurance company will have to pay out I'd imagine it would have an impact.

mordeith wrote: »
    Well seeing as it's the insurance company will have to pay out I'd imagine it would have an impact.

I'm just curious as to how it would impact the OP though..?

If I drive into you, and i break your back and you'll never work again.. that's why I'm paying an insurance company. They can sort you out, I don't see why I should be brought into it (unless it could be shown I did it on purpose, obviously).

EDIT: Sorry that reads like rambling nonsense, rather than an actual question :o

I suppose what I'm asking is, if i drive someone off the road, do I ever hear from them again? If they put in a claim for lost wages, a personal injury, a new car, etc. do i ever hear anything of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I
    I suppose what I'm asking is, if i drive someone off the road, do I ever hear from them again? If they put in a claim for lost wages, a personal injury, a new car, etc. do i ever hear anything of it?

Your insurer is obliged to inform you if a claim is lodged against you, when liability is decided, when a payment is made and when a claim is finalised.

Advertisement