Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACA to ACCA Conversion?

• 06-11-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently finished ACA exams with the CAI and hoping to travel abroad for a year to get further experience, however my current understanding is that ACCA is more recognised internationally (not something my training firm told me before I signed up).

I've heard of people switching to ACCA before finishing their ACA qualification, but is there a conversion course available to qualify under ACCA from ACA? If there is my hope would obviously be to use up all exemptions available under my ACA exams.

Any help / guidance appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I'm not ACCA but my understanding is that ACA will give you exemptions for all the 'F' exams but you will still have to the 'P' exams and I'm pretty sure there are 5 of those and they aren't that easy!

ACA should be 100% anywhere though. I know I've heard as well that ACCA is more global but I'd say you'd be grand. Might just have to do one or two small exams in the country you go to is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I'm ACCA and I believe heretothere is correct.

You would need to sit the 5 P-level exams (3 core and 2 options). The rule used to be that you could only sit 4 papers in any exam sitting. There are now 4 sittings a year. Assuming the rule still applies, I'd say someone would be under a good bit of pressure to try do them over 2 sittings in a 6 month period, even being already qualified, unless you have a super memory and are willing to put in lots of time - they are not open book. It will also cost you...

That said, I've known ACAs who went to Australia without issue.

You won't be likely to get a tax role anywhere without passing a local exam, and ACCA accountants will know no more about local GAAP in foreign countries than you do, but IFRS is used in over 100 countries world wide...

Try CAI's own guidance on travelling and reciprocity arrangements, you might find things are better than you think
    https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Members/Overseas-Members/Members-Working-Abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I went to NZ and didn't have an issue with ACA. Know loads of others that have gone to the UK, Australia, Canada etc and not have an issue. If you've passed all you ACA exams I don't think adding ACCA would benefit you greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Just to note on on this - there is now 4 P level ACCA exams reduced from 5.

P1 and P3 have been merged into a 4.5 hour case study exam call Strategic Business Leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Not sure where you are going but in Canada they hardly know what ACCA is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement