Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School BBC 2 Documentary

Options
  • 06-11-2018 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

Just heard there is a BBC 2 documentary on at 9pm tonight on conditions in schools in England in case anyone is interested in watching.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This is what the proposed school autonomy model would entail for us in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

This is what the proposed school autonomy model would entail for us in Ireland.

Yes targets for teachers & paycuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Icsics wrote: »
    Yes targets for teachers & paycuts

Pay cuts already.Target grades would be absolutely dreadful...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Individualised pay cuts dictated by your performance management review. Witnessed teachers being managed out in the UK as they became too expensive, to be replaced by new meat. Rince and repeat every year and they wonder why people leave teaching so quickly in the UK.

Over 20% of my PGCE class have never worked as an actual class teacher. Prefer to just take the plentiful supply work which means no planning, marking or stress. Walk in and walk out every single day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Individualised pay cuts dictated by your performance management review. Witnessed teachers being managed out in the UK as they became too expensive to be replaced by new meat. Since and repeat every year and they wonder why people leave teaching so quickly in the UK.

Over 20% of my PGCE class have never worked as an actual class teacher. Prefer to just take the plentiful supply work which means no planning, marking or stress. Walk in and walk out every single day.

Didn't train there but taught there for a bit.System was a shambles, endless paper work, marking, those target grades - all the things you say.The kids suffer in the end, felt very sorry for them and teachers too, all were exhausted and burnt out.Disaster zone it was.I refuse to believe it can ever get as bad here and I really hope it won't but the jury is well and truly out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Management in my OHs school already pushing target grades etc...thin end of the wedge

If the system actually tackled what needs to be fixed rather than adding more and more layers of box ticking and obfuscation ....this suff imo adds very little value to education but it does weaken teachers as a group and will lead to the kind of staff turnover seen in the UK, which one can't but help feeling is exactly the point.

People in the profession need to wake up before its too late...

Advertisement