Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time sub, pay queries?

Options
  • 06-11-2018 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi im a further ed trained teacher, I have a 4 year undergraduate degree and a 1 year Higher Diploma in Further education which is recognised by the teaching council of which I am registered.
    I have been subbing in a special needs school since the end of September, this is my first teaching position, ive been put into the payroll by the school under second ed as the students are post primary age but they complete QQI rather than leaving cert - Im qualified to teach QQI having trained in further ed.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I still haven't been paid and im wondering how long does it take for subs to receive their wages? I am down to my last 20 euro and struggling financially due to not being paid.

2. Im wondering what rate of pay I am on? Will I get the unqualified rate and how much will that be? I can only find information for second and primary teachers and further ed teachers in Youthreach and coordinators.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi im a further ed trained teacher, I have a 4 year undergraduate degree and a 1 year Higher Diploma in Further education which is recognised by the teaching council of which I am registered.
    I have been subbing in a special needs school since the end of September, this is my first teaching position, ive been put into the payroll by the school under second ed as the students are post primary age but they complete QQI rather than leaving cert - Im qualified to teach QQI having trained in further ed.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I still haven't been paid and im wondering how long does it take for subs to receive their wages? I am down to my last 20 euro and struggling financially due to not being paid.

2. Im wondering what rate of pay I am on? Will I get the unqualified rate and how much will that be? I can only find information for second and primary teachers and further ed teachers in Youthreach and coordinators.

Thank you in advance.

First time pay always takes a few weeks to get sorted. I'm presuming you're working with an ETB - I only worked with them once for a fair length and I had to wait 9 weeks for pay. If it is an ETB, give ring HR and they will be able to tell you when your pay will be issued and what rate by hour you will get. If it's not an ETB, contact payroll in Athlone after 14:30.

Be careful with your contract and that you are contracted as a teacher and not a youthreach co-ordinatior - there is a thread here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Agree with above.

You should enquire with whoever puts pay through in the school too. Explain to your DP that you are under financial hardship due to the delay , that might speed them up or they may have funds to give you something to tide you over until payday. It's difficult. Don't be embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

You're pay is going to be all over the place. It will settle down eventually but it can be a nightmare to figure out who is paying you, if you're getting the correct amount, tax credits, rates, etc. Been through it all.

I didn't get paid for the first 4 or 5 weeks. If you're not a qualified teacher it will be the unqualified rate which is somewhere around 35 quid. Best off call DES payroll. Sort out if it's the school or DES who are paying you and split your tax credits accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BrokenMirror

Hi thanks for the replies. Im not working in Youthreach, im further ed trained but teaching in a special needs school - its like a primary/secondary school but for children with special needs.
    I spoke to the receptionist today, she told me she cant put me on the system, she didnt say too much about it just that the system wont accept me because im not under post primary or primary as im trained in further ed. I dont know how the pay system works, im just going by what she said. So this means I have no wages indefinitely, if I even get paid at all. Has anyone got any experience of this or know how to rectify the situation? Im at my wits end.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi thanks for the replies. Im not working in Youthreach, im further ed trained but teaching in a special needs school - its like a primary/secondary school but for children with special needs.
    I spoke to the receptionist today, she told me she cant put me on the system, she didnt say too much about it just that the system wont accept me because im not under post primary or primary as im trained in further ed. I dont know how the pay system works, im just going by what she said. So this means I have no wages indefinitely, if I even get paid at all. Has anyone got any experience of this or know how to rectify the situation? Im at my wits end.
    Thanks.

I'd be wary that the secretary couldn't enter you on the system - she/he can even enter you as an unqualified. First thing on Monday, I would organise a meeting with principal to discuss your position ... what is your role, how are you to be entered on the system or whoever is paying you. I also wouldn't go too far past next Friday (if at all) unless you know you are going to be paid for it. I know I hate talking money with employers but everyone has to live and paid for a job well done. OP get this clarified at once.

• Advertisement
Advertisement