Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Fuseboard

Options
  • 06-11-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

My Sisters house has an old fuseboard with a 63 amp main switch and a main fuse. Tonight she lost all power and on inspection I noticed that the main fuse contact on the board was blackened so I cleaned it by scraping off. I then replaced the main fuse and turned on the main switch. For a second some sparking could be seen and heard from the switch but then all seemed Ok. Would the switch need to be replaced? If so how could it be done, does the ESB have to come out and turn off power to the board? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You need to call a registered electrician. The ESB have nothing to do with it.

If it's sparking and arcing there's a potential fire hazard. I would call a REC very soon!

I wouldn't suggest continuing to use it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

I realise it would have to be done by an electrician, just curious as to how they go about isolating power to the fuseboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

king2 wrote: »
    I realise it would have to be done by an electrician, just curious as to how they go about isolating power to the fuseboard

It can be done live or you can pull the fused cut-out if you're lucky and there's play on the seal

Other than that you'd have to ring esbn and they'll isolate the board

Thomyokk wrote: »
    It can be done live or you can pull the fused cut-out if you're lucky and there's play on the seal

Other than that you'd have to ring esbn and they'll isolate the board

Some will have the contractor isolator in the meter cabinet too ,so can be isolated there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Some will have the contractor isolator in the meter cabinet too ,so can be isolated there

Be surprised if the consumer board is that old.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Be surprised if the consumer board is that old.

He said old, presumably dz main fuse

That's usually just meter and fused cut-out in the cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

He said old, presumably dz main fuse

That's usually just meter and fused cut-out in the cabinet

The meter is in the cabinet beside the fusebox yes. The cut out is inside the meter housing is it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Agree with the above. Sounds like this may be the time to upgrade the fuse board anyway. I would treat this as a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Agree with posters who say you need a rec to check this out
    If the fuseboard is upgraded you will need esbn involvement as main incoming cables may need to be upgraded.(16mm).The main bonding and protective conductors will need upgrading too(rod/gas/equipotential bonding etc)
    A certificate will have to be issued to facilitate termination into meter and neutralising earth connection. There is also a charge from esbn for this(@€;180)

Advertisement