Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Circular saw nut stuck

• 06-11-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have a B&D KS 40 circular saw. My problem is, the disc rotates, but once it touches wood the blade stops yet the motor and the central nut/washer keep going - so basically the blade is not firmly attached to the nut/washer in the middle - i assume.

I cannot loosen the nut that holds the disc at all. I stop the disc(screw driver in a hole to stop it moving) using the ALAN key to loosen the nut, but the nut and central washer both just rotate and I can make no head way.

Any ideas? is it bust? working trying to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you a pic.

where are you putting the screw driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

My saw has a lever you have to depress to get the central nut to turn. It's designed to spin freely otherwise.
    Check your saw for something line that, could be a button in your case.

Never mind. I checked the manual. It's a screwdriver through a hole in the blade in this case as you were saying. It also says you can hold the outer washer with an 18mm spanner.
    You might give that a blast but I've a feeling it could be shot.
    Is it new or old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

have you a pic.

where are you putting the screw driver

Here is a video of me, trying to remove the blade:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VB8uAY_6djCYRmIbkS-WHWK3Hip4gcCx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Try holding the spindle with the allen key and tightening the wide nut or loosen / remove it and place a slim washer underneath if tread at base of spindle is damaged / worn. You may have to slip a piece of pipe on to the allen key to give you better grip.

M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have a look up behind the blade and see is there any flats to put a spanner on to hold the motor solid.

terrible design. how are you supposed to open it if you put a propper blade on there

if you hold the larger flat washer with a pump pliers and use the allen key i should open it

• Advertisement

monseiur wrote: »
    Try holding the spindle with the allen key and tightening the wide nut or loosen / remove it and place a slim washer underneath if tread at base of spindle is damaged / worn. You may have to slip a piece of pipe on to the allen key to give you better grip.

M.

Just tried there, I cannot see anyway to physically stop the motor from turning without taking the whole thing apart.
    I was able to clamp the silver nut with a wrench and get the alan key into the black nut - tight as anything. I held everything and gave the alan key a few blows of a hammer until the key just popped out - still everything tight and locked down. No luck.

I am guessing the cost for someone to look at it is close to the cost of a new one? I was not an expensive machine - I just hate to throw it for such a simple thing.

Any recommendations for not too expensive saw ? I have Bosch and B&D batteries and chargers, assuming they work across devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Heat with a blow lamp and do as I previously advised - try to loosen nut, not tighten. Also double check tread on spindle in case it's left hand tread like brush strimmers etc. You may need a second pair of hands !

M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Heat with a blow lamp and do as I previously advised - try to loosen nut, not tighten. Also double check tread on spindle in case it's left hand tread like brush strimmers etc. You may need a second pair of hands !

M.
    :D worked! got it off thank you.
    Of course I don't want to be back to a stuck nut again, is there anything I should be aware of when using the saw? When it was bought originally, worked a treat for a day or so, then sized up with the stuck nut - maybe it was being asked to cut something too heavy.
    Ive attached some image of the disc, perhaps there is some obvious sign of damage?
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cc9ZhoRSmcdS0l7fkW4Nt3OjXExE0iti
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1at8IhIuszBDcgH09p1r0poljoq25U0cb

open?id=1Cc9ZhoRSmcdS0l7fkW4Nt3OjXExE0itiopen?id=1at8IhIuszBDcgH09p1r0poljoq25U0cbopen?id=1Cc9ZhoRSmcdS0l7fkW4Nt3OjXExE0iti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Only advise I can think of is to put a bit of copper ease on the threads when you put the nut back on.

The problem really is in the two words Black and Decker any circular saw with less than a 1000W motor is likely to struggle on a lot of jobs.

If the blade isn't sharp that will add to the problem. In fact I've had a similar issue with bench saws when I've carried on cutting for too long with a dull blade.

Advertisement