Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extension lead in a drawer

• 07-11-2018 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Is it safe to use an extension lead inside a cabinet or drawer?

I want to create less clutter and I had an idea to put the block of extension lead (for my TV, AppleTV and consoles inside the TV cabinet with just the cord running out to a socket. The same for my iPhone and iPad in the drawer of a bedside locker.

Can anyone tell if there are hazards with that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Is it safe to use an extension lead inside a cabinet or drawer?

I want to create less clutter and I had an idea to put the block of extension lead (for my TV, AppleTV and consoles inside the TV cabinet with just the cord running out to a socket. The same for my iPhone and iPad in the drawer of a beside locker.

Can anyone tell if there are hazards with that?

Generally you would want them where they are accessible. There is one thing I wouldn't leave plugged in that's phone chargers especially if they get hot. Console mains can get hot best to leave them in the open. TV plugs might be okay enclosed. Just be sure to plug the mains out/ turn off when not in use and use good quality anti-Surge extension blocks. I have never enclosed any but it was because of accessibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Tv stuff should be ok, plus it will need a hole at the back/top to feed the cables in.

Beside locker, not so much.

For the bedside locker you could use a multi usb power plug (in the wall) and feed the individual cables to the drawer or have them on hooks behind it for charging.

Or if you have a newer iPhone or android, a wireless charger is the business. Some of them will charge two devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Tv stuff should be ok, plus it will need a hole at the back/top to feed the cables in.

For the bedside locker you could use a multi usb power plug (in the wall) and feed the individual cables to the drawer or have them on hooks behind it for charging.

Or if you have a newer iPhone or android, a wireless charger is the business. Some of them will charge two devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Generally you would want them where they are accessible. There is one thing I wouldn't leave plugged in that's phone chargers especially if they get hot. Console mains can get hot best to leave them in the open. TV plugs might be okay enclosed. Just be sure to plug the mains out/ turn off when not in use and use good quality anti-Surge extension blocks. I have never enclosed any but it was because of accessibility.

There would no problem with access to any of the extension lead blocks in the set up I have in mind. In fact it would be easier to get at the plugs than if the extension lead was outside the cabinet or drawer.

In the TV cabinet, I would have it at the bottom shelf and easy to reach when I open the glass door.

The consoles would be unplugged when not in use put it would be my intention to leave the television, AppleTV and mini SkyQ box always plugged in.

After posting I did think about how the plugs on iPhone and iPad chargers would heat up. Would leaving the drawer slightly open at night be enough? I could get a small USB fan (the extension lead would have the ports) with a timer or inside the drawer or an extension lead with timer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

There would no problem with access to any of the extension lead blocks in the set up I have in mind. In fact it would be easier to get at the plugs than if the extension lead was outside the cabinet or drawer.

In the TV cabinet, I would have it at the bottom shelf and easy to reach when I open the glass door.

The consoles would be unplugged when not in use put it would be my intention to leave the television, AppleTV and mini SkyQ box always plugged in.

After posting I did think about how the plugs on iPhone and iPad chargers would heat up. Would leaving the drawer slightly open at night be enough? I could get a small USB fan (the extension lead would have the ports) with a timer or inside the drawer or an extension lead with timer.

Wouldn't leave them in at all. They can be a fire hazard more so than any other plug, especially if damaged.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »

I was hoping to avoid putting in an extra wall socket, which is why I was wanting to put the extension lead in the drawer.

If there is a risk though then maybe it is just easier to do the extra work.

Wouldn't leave them in at all. They can be a fire hazard more so than any other plug, especially if damaged.

Yes, I'll just put in extra wall sockets and have the cables run into the drawer.

I was only thinking about whether an extension cord block would get hot in an enclosed area. The iPhone and iPad plugs getting hot never even occurred to me even though they are the obvious reason why putting the lot in a drawer in a bad idea.

My thanks to both of you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Could you not just replace the socket front-plate with one with USB sockets built in and run the USB cables for your phone charging from there into the drawer? The front-plates are all of about a tenner and swap over in under 10 minutes.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Could you not just replace the socket front-plate with one with USB sockets built in and run the USB cables for your phone charging from there into the drawer? The front-plates are all of about a tenner and swap over in under 10 minutes.

There isn't socket there at all. That is why I was wanting to use the extension cord.

• Advertisement

Is the extension lead not plugged into a socket? ;)

You can get 3m long USB leads on ebay for buttons.

Is the extension lead not plugged into a socket? ;)

You can get 3m long USB leads on ebay for buttons.

You have misunderstood quite a bit. Probably because you are sleepy.

My question was already answered by the other members so and I gain nothing by explaining it all over again, so don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

You have misunderstood quite a bit. Probably because you are sleepy.

My question was already answered by the other members so and I gain nothing by explaining it all over again, so don't worry about it.

That's just plain rude.

That's just plain rude.

How is it rude?'

There was a second rate joke based on the the username and the questions I asked had been answered long before Sleepy posted, he was clearly completely misunderstanding everything said in the thread because none off his posts said anything correct or relevant and why should I repost everything when it is already resolved and there if he wants to actually understand.

I was not rude , it was just the plain and simple facts.

I put it the way I saw it, plain and simple. Don't worry about it.

I put it the way I saw it, plain and simple. Don't worry about it.

Okay, so you aren't able to explain why it it is "rude" and you are are trying to use my "don't worry about it" to cover that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I saw it as a joke, an awful joke. A really terrible one. Don't think he was being rude, just a bit blunt and tried to soften it with the joke.

I saw it as a joke, an awful joke. A really terrible one. Don't think he was being rude, just a bit blunt and tried to soften it with the joke.

Fair enough. I just saw it as someone who went out of his way to help another poster being shot down dismissively and no thought given that he was trying to help in the first instance. I certainly didn't pick up there was no socket in the drawer.

I'd call it just being straightforward rather blunt, but you have it right.

As to the joke, saying a guy who named himself Sleepy is sleepy is not even worthy of a groan or an eye roll smiley, but how in the world can that be taken as anything other than a lame and obvious joke?

Fair enough. I just saw it as someone who went out of his way to help another poster being shot down dismissively and no thought given that he was trying to help in the first instance. I certainly didn't pick up there was no socket in the drawer.

I was not being dismissive - you are being far too sensitive. I was simply stating that the member had clearly misunderstood the questions asked and the comments that followed. And I stated the issue was resolved anyway so it didn't matter anymore.

I did give thought to the member wanting to help but the plain and simple fact was that he clearly misunderstood and therefore it was not actually helpful. Again, as the questions had been answered what was the point of spending time on a post explaining it again?

And I have no idea where the notion of a socket in a drawer came came from.:confused:

• Advertisement

Ok. No biggie. Sleepy by way of his thanking my post may indicate he thought it was rude too. You got sorted which is the main thing.

Ok. No biggie. Sleepy by way of his thanking my post may indicate he thought it was rude too.

You shouldn't presume to know what a person thinks. How do you know Sleepy wasn't just thanking the post because because he thought you were trying to have a crack at me? If he agreed with you he should post that himself.
    You got sorted which is the main thing.

I said that hours ago.

Nope, Kevin had it right. I thought you were being obnoxious and reckon you misunderstood my suggestion but wasn't inclined to waste any more time trying to explain it to you given your appaling attitude...

Nope, Kevin had it right. I thought you were being obnoxious and reckon you misunderstood my suggestion but wasn't inclined to waste any more time trying to explain it to you given your appaling attitude...

I didn't misunderstand anything you posted.

It was clearly obvious you did not understand what I was talking about. The comment about you being "sleepy" was based entirely on the username you have given to yourself. There was absolutely no benefit to me, or to you, in going back over it all when my question had already been answered and was there for you to read yourself.

You posted here, I assumed, to offer help so I explained why the issue was no longer relevant. I wasn't rude, I was being straightforward. You would have preferred no response at all? Tough, because I don't ignore people.

It is hypocritcal to moan that I didn't want to spend anymore time on this because it gained me nothing and you didn't give the thread a proper read when you didn't want to spend any more time on it because of my "attitude".

If you truly didn't want to spend any time on it then why were you back here when someone else posted?

Advertisement