Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering wheel vibrates. Front of car drives rough at speed.

• 07-11-2018 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My jinxed Ford SMax is acting up again.

When it's driven on the motorway at speed (say > 100 kmph), the steering wheel is vibrating and the front of the car is like sitting on a tumble dryer.

My wife has noticed that it doesn't always start first time, but will engage at the second attempt.

Some recent history:

o Battery is new

o Alternator replaced in past two months

o Last month, TCS icon was flashing on. Car stalling and cutting out in traffic. After various mechanics had repeated attempts at fixing it, they found the wirings to the on Board computer (ECU?) were loose. They tightened the wirings and issue seemed solved. Previously they were changing all manner of stuff and saying it was fine. The wire tightening did the trick.

Apart from wheel balancing and tracking, can anyone suggest why a car would drive like a tractor and might not engage first time?

We are considering selling it. Car has become a money pit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

What tyres, how old and condition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Could be as simple as a balance weight falling off a wheel just needing rebalancing. Could also be a seized caliper. After a run on the motorway, go around the front of the car and put your hand close to each front wheel. If it feels really hot, that's your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Could be wheel loose, imbalance, misalignment or even a tyre problem.

Needs to get to garage and have checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Sounds like you have buckled wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

What tyres, how old and condition?

Hi Fancy Pigeon.

The tyres are about eight months old. They are 225/50/R17.

The condition would be alright. We change them every 12-18 months due to country driving.

I'm not at my car now, but they're a good brand like Hancock or Pirelli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭The Megaphone

_Brian wrote: »
    Could be wheel loose.

Had this exact problem - vibration coming up through the steering wheel but only when I went above a certain speed.

Offside front wheel nuts weren't fully tightened - had the tyres replaced a few weeks previously, and they used the gun to tighten the nuts but never gave them the obligatory check with the tyre iron!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi Fancy Pigeon.

The tyres are about eight months old. They are 225/50/R17.

The condition would be alright. We change them every 12-18 months due to country driving.

I'm not at my car now, but they're a good brand like Hancock or Pirelli.

Wondering are the wheels buckled or do the tyres have unknown bulges... Did this start recently or was it gradual over a few weeks?

I feel your pain with a car that just won't behave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

I had this in my old C-max and it was worn wheel bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Would a knackered DMF give the same symptoms?

Wondering are the wheels buckled or do the tyres have unknown bulges... Did this start recently or was it gradual over a few weeks?

I feel your pain with a car that just won't behave!

It is relatively recent. The car had its tyres off recently to be painted/polished black. It was part of the cosmetic service in the garage when they were fixing the important stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Go get wheels balanced.
    Cheap as chips and could easily solve it.

Any chance you drove through muck and it's dried onto inside of wheels?

Used happy me a lot when I worked building roads. Just needed to whip off wheels and clean them. Those balance weights are only light anything can put them off.

Would really get bad over 60 mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It is relatively recent. The car had its tyres off recently to be painted/polished black. It was part of the cosmetic service in the garage when they were fixing the important stuff.

Yeah they could have lost a weight.

I will report back after visiting the tyre shop.

Hopefully it's blindingly obvious to the fitter and a simple fix.

As for the car not starting first time, I'm praying it's not back to the electrical wiring issues. Cold weather maybe.

We're thinking of cutting our losses and buying a new car if it acts up again. It's a money pit. No fun stalling on a motorway or in the rush hour.

We're putting our mechanic's children through college :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

When was the tracking last done? Might just need a tracking alignment too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Gerry T

If it drives fine at most speeds and the wobble comes at a certain speed and when you go faster the wobble goes away again, that would be a strong indicator for balancing
    Remember it could be a loose wheel, or something relatively very easily fixed. But if it leads to a second fault that could be very costly. If it were me and I couldn't spot the issue I would be reluctant to do much driving until I had it checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If you're getting vibrations or notchiness through the steering wheel the wishbones could be going as well. Hopefully balancing will sort it out.

Hi all,

Just a quick update on the steering wheel vibration and general rough ride.

Our tyre fitter said the tracking was completely out of kilter. As a result, the tyres were in very bad shape.

We live on very rough roads. Potholes, rough margins, etc

Anyway, new front tyres were required. The wheels were balanced and tracked.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Advertisement