Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Survey of Online Gaming Behaviours and Gaming Disorder (Mod permission given)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I'll be interested in seeing the results of this study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Most of the games I'd play have an online element which i ignore for single player modes. Also you can spend a lot on DLC which i wouldn't class as micro transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭columbd

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I'll be interested in seeing the results of this study.

Once I have the results analysed they will be published and I will put some of the main findings up here

pawrick wrote: »
    Most of the games I'd play have an online element which i ignore for single player modes. Also you can spend a lot on DLC which i wouldn't class as micro transactions

It is difficult to call put DLC and microtransactions in exactly the same category (and we haven't in this study) but there is definitely some overlap when you look at the psychology of both.

Good point though and thanks for taking part in the survey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Completed it there.

One thing i will say,with so many multiple choice answers with only having the same 5 options to pick from i feel theirs very little room for nuance.

It will give you figures for the study in a general sense but it will lack refinement as a good few times i picked answers that i still felt didnt quite fit but was the closet to what i was trying to answer.

Anyway,best of luck with the study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Completed, and my own understanding of the questions would make me seem like an addict, so I'd like to point out it's not an addiction if it doesn't affect other parts of your life, it's just what I do! Good survey!

Given the carry on the UN and WHO came out with about gaming addiction I'd give the likes of this survey a massive body swerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yah I got the impression on that it looks like the OP has an element of bias.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Completed it there.

One thing i will say,with so many multiple choice answers with only having the same 5 options to pick from i feel theirs very little room for nuance.

It will give you figures for the study in a general sense but it will lack refinement as a good few times i picked answers that i still felt didnt quite fit but was the closet to what i was trying to answer.

Anyway,best of luck with the study.

Most of the multiple choice questions are taken directly from validated questionnaires or other studies so as to be comparable with international data. I agree they can be repetitive/somewhat blunt in terms of getting exact answers but they've been used with good success elsewhere.

Thanks for taking the survey

Calhoun wrote: »
    Yah I got the impression on that it looks like the OP has an element of bias.

It's hard to eliminate bias completely and I actually love gaming myself and would play daily.

All the questions in the survey are made from a variety of other studies and validated questionnaires. My expectations would be that there will be a small percentage of people with a potential addiction but that the majority of people in the survey will be just frequent users

Just wanted to say if anyone knows of anyone else who plays online games, feel free to point them in the direction of the survey. We're about half way there in terms of numbers

• Advertisement

Hi there. Just reposting this to see if we can get more respondents. We have around 80 so about half way there. I'll post this 2 more times before now and the new year before I close it off.

Thanks again to everyone who has already filled out the survey

Here is the link again

https://sjogh.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/gamingaddiction

Kind Regards

David

Hi there

My name is Dr David Columb and I am a Senior Medical Officer working with Professor Colin O’Gara in the Addiction Department in St John of God Hospital, Stillorgan, Co Dublin. We conduct research in respect to behavioral addictions – addictions that do not involve a substance such as drugs or alcohol. Examples of this are gambling addiction, gaming addiction and internet use addiction.

We would be very grateful if you could complete this survey on gaming addiction as well as questions around microtransactions in gaming. The link below will lead to a detailed Information Sheet on the study, as well as some Consent questions prior to commencing the study. The survey should take around 10 minutes to complete.

If you have any questions about the survey, please do not hesitate to contact me at david.columb@sjog.ie. I've been in contact with the moderators and they are happy for me to post this survey up a few times between now and Christmas.

Again I'd really appreciate if you could fill the survey out if you have some time to spare.

Kind Regards

David

Also apologies to the moderators about posting this on a new thread. Won't happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"We would be very grateful if you could complete this survey on gaming addiction"

How can this survey be remotely useful if you have already decided the nature of regular gaming has to be classed as an addiction? It's not a study from which you will attempt to understand and classify behaviour, but one that seems to be an attempt to prove your original conclusion.
    So is Soccer automatically an addiction, running, social interaction, fashion, listening to music, (insert just about any popular human behaviour here)? No, if doing a similar survey you would be stating the aim is to analyse behaviour and using valid scientific method derive your conclusions from it, not start with stating your conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Completed

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    "We would be very grateful if you could complete this survey on gaming addiction"

How can this survey be remotely useful if you have already decided the nature of regular gaming has to be classed as an addiction? It's not a study from which you will attempt to understand and classify behaviour, but one that seems to be an attempt to prove your original conclusion.
    So is Soccer automatically an addiction, running, social interaction, fashion, listening to music, (insert just about any popular human behaviour here)? No, if doing a similar survey you would be stating the aim is to analyse behaviour and using valid scientific method derive your conclusions from it, not start with stating your conclusion.

Hi. So the idea of the survey isn't to classify a level of gaming as abnormal or anything like that. The idea is to survey a group of predominately regular gamers (likely given they are using this forum) to see if anyone is meeting criteria for gaming disorder. There is a validated screening tool for gaming disorder in the survey. The only real preconception is that it is more than likely a gaming population would have higher findings of gaming disorder compared to the general population given the increased exposure to gaming.

So in short, gaming addiction is screened using some of the questions in the survey (predominantly the ones talking about a negative impact on life). The questions around time spent etc are to see if there are any correlations e.g. we would expect possible gaming disordered people to play longer hours versus their counterparts.

Hope that answers your queries

Completed

Thanks very much, appreciate it

Hi all

I'm posting this survey for the final time. Thank you to everyone that has already filled out the survey, it's very much appreciated

Here's the survey

Again thank you very much

Kind Regards

David

Advertisement