Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cap Chimney Flue

• 07-11-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I need to cap a Chimney Flue on the roof. (traditional chimney stack circular flue) Anyone know where to get a cap ? has to be full seal as the chimney is not being used any longer - removed the a multi stove in a kitchen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I used these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

lgk wrote: »
    I used these.

I've seen something similar In a builders providers for about 40 / 50 quid

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you decide to cap off an unused chimney you should provide a cap which will allow some trickle ventilation and a hit and miss vent grille at the fireplace opening, otherwise you run the risk of condensation within the flue, which can run down into your room, causing nasty smells and stains. Because a chimney stack penetrates the roof it will be cold and warm air (which is moisture laden) will rise through the existing flue, cool down and deposit the moisture vapour as condensation on the inside of the flue- thus it must be ventilated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you decide to cap off an unused chimney you should provide a cap which will allow some trickle ventilation and a hit and miss vent grille at the fireplace opening, otherwise you run the risk of condensation within the flue, which can run down into your room, causing nasty smells and stains. Because a chimney stack penetrates the roof it will be cold and warm air (which is moisture laden) will rise through the existing flue, cool down and deposit the moisture vapour as condensation on the inside of the flue- thus it must be ventilated.

The room side will be fully blocked off and plasterboarded. So can't provide ventilation from that end.

Any other choices,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Aren't those chimney plugs slightly irregular, to allow a small amount of air movement.. Would usually still need a vent down the bottom as already mentioned..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    The room side will be fully blocked off and plasterboarded. So can't provide ventilation from that end.

Any other choices,?

It's my understanding that unless the stack is partially removed/ demolished, ie so that the the remainder of the stack is within the heated building envelope you risk condensation unless you provide some minimal trickle ventilation at the base of the flue opening and at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's my understanding that unless the stack is partially removed/ demolished, ie so that the the remainder of the stack is within the heated building envelope you risk condensation unless you provide some minimal trickle ventilation at the base of the flue opening and at the top.

That was a concern i had, I suppose il have to open a vent into the stack then.

listermint wrote: »
    That was a concern i had, I suppose il have to open a vent into the stack then.

A small vent like this would be sufficient:

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Louvre-Vent-9x3-.html?name=+vent&type=simple

Just cut a small hole in the wallboard with a pad saw, surface mount and you're done.

Advertisement