Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a teaching subject in 1 year

Options
  • 07-11-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the title suggests I want to try add another teaching subject in a year if possible. I would also prefer it to be online. What are my options nowadays? I looked at previous posts and most are a bit dated.just wondering what is new out there?

I already have a degree in History & Religion for the past few years but I want to upskill. I'm aware DCU offer a modular course which offers CSPE, History or English. Considing doing the English but there is already an abundance of English teachers out there.

Any suggestions as to what my options are? I am interested in English, LCVP, Sciences maybe JC science, Geography. Are there valuable ICT courses available or what should I lean towards?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No for Sciences anyway, you need a full undergrad degree with relevant lab sessions, min 3-4 years. How do you think you can add a subject in 1 years as you need a minimum amount of credits from each degree year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I remember when I looked into it a while back you could do a one year HDip in a few subjects in UCC. It was full time though. Don't see how you could do enough credits to teach in one year online/part time. No such thing as JC science teacher, you're either qualified or you're not. English in DCU wouldn't be a bad option, at least it's a core subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Learn Irish.
    I don’t mean that you should do it to the level at which you could teach it but it’s very difficult for Gaelcholáistí to get teachers who actually have decent Irish at the moment, so it would greatly increase your chances of getting a job if you have the option to work in a Gaelcholáiste. This is particularly true in Dublin, but I imagine it’s also true around the country, other than maybe along the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

English in DCU will take you a minimum of 2 years, and at that it's very full on - akin to a full time student.

A language is what you need. You aren't going to get a degree in one year anywhere or anything that the teaching council recognises that is of such short duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

There are no Physics teachers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

English in DCU will take you a minimum of 2 years, and at that it's very full on - akin to a full time student.

A language is what you need. You aren't going to get a degree in one year anywhere or anything that the teaching council recognises that is of such short duration.

Languages require a period of time spent abroad in a country where that language is the spoken language. I think the time is three months.

poster2525 wrote: »

The OP doesn't have a science qualification. They would have to spend 3 years doing physics to get the credits for it. And they would have to attend physics labs.

I had first year physics in my degree and still spent a further two years a few years back building up my physics credits. Did second year physics one year and third year physics the following year. Had to attend labs weekly in college. Had to have it built into my teaching timetable.

The OP doesn't have a science qualification. They would have to spend 3 years doing physics to get the credits for it. And they would have to attend physics labs.

I had first year physics in my degree and still spent a further two years a few years back building up my physics credits. Did second year physics one year and third year physics the following year. Had to attend labs weekly in college. Had to have it built into my teaching timetable.

That's brutal!!!!

That's brutal!!!!

Why?

People who are doing add on subjects should have them to the same level as someone who did them as their original degree?

Why?

People who are doing add on subjects should have them to the same level as someone who did them as their original degree?
    I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hi,
    As the title suggests I want to try add another teaching subject in a year if possible. I would also prefer it to be online. What are my options nowadays? I looked at previous posts and most are a bit dated.just wondering what is new out there?

I already have a degree in History & Religion for the past few years but I want to upskill. I'm aware DCU offer a modular course which offers CSPE, History or English. Considing doing the English but there is already an abundance of English teachers out there.

I wouldn't go near English for the very reason you mention. I went back and did 60 ECT/degree credits over two years at night in UCD. Classes were every Tuesday & Thursday from 6pm until 8pm or 9pm. 15 credits per semester/30 credits per year x 2. I had 10 credits from 1st year in that subject also. So I was able to register as a teacher of that subject with the Teaching Council. The years fly so it's better to light that particular candle as soon as possible rather than curse the dark down the road and have to go back to upskill when family obligations etc are much more. Irish is obviously the smartest choice as you'll be able to apply for jobs in gaelcholáistí as well as in English-language schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

gaiscioch wrote:
    I wouldn't go near English for the very reason you mention. I went back and did 60 ECT/degree credits over two years at night in UCD. Classes were every Tuesday & Thursday from 6pm until 8pm or 9pm. 15 credits per semester/30 credits per year x 2. I had 10 credits from 1st year in that subject also. So I was able to register as a teacher of that subject with the Teaching Council. The years fly so it's better to light that particular candle as soon as possible rather than curse the dark down the road and have to go back to upskill when family obligations etc are much more. Irish is obviously the smartest choice as you'll be able to apply for jobs in gaelcholáistí as well as in English-language schools.

DCU Connected offer English in their single module course. 15 credits per module. Therefore 4 modules would be enough to be recognised by the teaching council? (60 credits)... Would doing 4 in a year be thought work?

Irish is the best but I'm completely clueless when it comes to it. I only done ordinary level maths at LC level also so I'm not sure that's an option to be honest, although I have taught maths to JC HL in the past for a short periods.

Geography would be something I'd be interested in but I'm unaware of what courses are available. Need one that's mostly online due to family commitments.

Not asking for a whole lot lol!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Geography would be something I'd be interested in but I'm unaware of what courses are available.

I looked into Geography a few years ago and it was a definite no. You have to do field work so can't do it online. The best I found was a one year H Dip in UCC that the TC recognised (back when they had a list, don't think they do anymore). But that was a full time course.
    You could look into the Open University. Expensive but if you have to do it online it's probably the best way.

Like rainbowtrout said, this probably isn’t a practical option for anyone who can’t attend college full time. I looked into it a few years ago as I was in the same situation - I had first year physics in my degree - but it just wasn’t practical to do the lab work while teaching full time, in spite of having four universities within 30-40 minutes of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

RealJohn wrote: »
    Like rainbowtrout said, this probably isn’t a practical option for anyone who can’t attend college full time. I looked into it a few years ago as I was in the same situation - I had first year physics in my degree - but it just wasn’t practical to do the lab work while teaching full time, in spite of having four universities within 30-40 minutes of me.

What did you do in the end John?

greenttc wrote: »
    What did you do in the end John?
    Well in my case, I was already permanent so I didn’t actually need to do it. I just wanted to. Didn’t do anything in the end. I still would though, if it was practical to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Teacher0101

DCU Oscail let you do three modules max per year, two the next year and you'd be fully qualified. Bear in mind 4 modules a year is what a full time student would do.

You need to be realistic. I added English, but it's incredibly difficult to balance your time, you are doing a REAL degree, it's not just hanging around and you'll eventually get it type of thing. I think people going back as a mature student just read through the modules and think it'll be a piece of piss. You won't get a qualification to teach something in one year and tbh you shouldn't. You need a decent knowledge of a subject at secondary level which cannot be garnered in one year.

Advertisement