Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into a lane where a cyclist is

Options
  • 07-11-2018 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was cycling up the quays in Dublin by Guinness when an out of service bus came into my lane. Basically at speed the bus pulled in parallel to me. They were indicating but I was ahead of them initially as they pulled into the lane.
    What exactly is the law covering this. It is a pretty common thing that goes on. Makes me nervous enough when it is a car but the speed and the fact it was bus made it much worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Yesterday I was cycling up the quays in Dublin by Guinness when an out of service bus came into my lane. Basically at speed the bus pulled in parallel to me. They were indicating but I was ahead of them initially as they pulled into the lane.
    What exactly is the law covering this. It is a pretty common thing that goes on. Makes me nervous enough when it is a car but the speed and the fact it was bus made it much worse.

Yeap happens all to regularly. If the bus got ahead of you and pulled in no problem. Most days on the quays I’ve to slow down to let a coach in which just decides to come into the lane and then inevitably has to stop at lights.

Unfortunately I would think the only time legalities would come into it if there was
    accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have the bus details you can request the CCTV. Then file it with traffic watch.

What you're describing sounds like a dangerous overtake - thats an offence in its own right earning the driver an endorsement of 3pts if uncontested or 5pts if they contest and lose. Do it. The driver will then be on the edge of a probable dismissal and after that and will either drive like a saint or find a new profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ED E wrote: »
    If you have the bus details you can request the CCTV. Then file it with traffic watch.

What you're describing sounds like a dangerous overtake - thats an offence in its own right earning the driver an endorsement of 3pts if uncontested or 5pts if they contest and lose. Do it. The driver will then be on the edge of a probable dismissal and after that and will either drive like a saint or find a new profession.

It wasn't overtaking it was trying to exist in the same space I was in. Like they were viewing where I was cycling as a third lane they wouldn't be entering.
    The real fear when drivers do this is you can't tell they have seen you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭cletus

Bus drivers do this with cars too, particularly when they want to pull out from a stop. They seem to operate under the assumption that they have the bigger vehicle, so everyone else will get out of the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

cletus wrote: »
    Bus drivers do this with cars too, particularly when they want to pull out from a stop. They seem to operate under the assumption that they have the bigger vehicle, so everyone else will get out of the way

Yeah, they just pull out and dare you to either hit them or move to accommodate them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964.

"17 (3)A driver shall not drive from one traffic lane to another without good cause, and without yielding the right of way to traffic in that other lane."

S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964.

"17 (3)A driver shall not drive from one traffic lane to another without good cause, and without yielding the right of way to traffic in that other lane."

And i take it cyclists fall into the category of traffic?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes. Basically, unless a law states otherwise, a bicycle is treated the same as any other vehicle.

Yes. Basically, unless a law states otherwise, a bicycle is treated the same as any other vehicle.

I was being slightly facetious when i asked that, because it certainly doesn't fookin seem like it on the roads!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That section of the quays outside Guinness is seriously dodgy for cyclists and is in bad need of some traffic calming. Cyclists are trying to move from the bus lane to the right hand lanes so they can turn right at Hueston, all the while traffic around them is easily doing 60kph+, its an accident waiting to happen because of poor design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It wasn't overtaking it was trying to exist in the same space I was in. Like they were viewing where I was cycling as a third lane they wouldn't be entering.
    The real fear when drivers do this is you can't tell they have seen you.

Assuming you're at the stretch I think you were then the bus lane is your lane. Coming from behind another road user and passing them is overtaking, in this case an incomplete manoeuvre.

If a processing member didnt feel it was an overtake they could always opt for careless driving which is straight to 5pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That section of the quays outside Guinness is seriously dodgy for cyclists and is in bad need of some traffic calming. Cyclists are trying to move from the bus lane to the right hand lanes so they can turn right at Hueston, all the while traffic around them is easily doing 60kph+, its an accident waiting to happen because of poor design.

It is very dodgy there. The bit that really bugs me is the entrance to Guinness itself. There are manhole covers right by the entrance which are pulled by the large Harvey vehicles coming and going. There is a huge pothole that has recently being filled to be still dangerous to cyclists.
    Who ever put those covers there by the entrance to one of a biggest exports was crazy. The are completely smooth at this point so very dangerous to cycle over. The pothole issue makes it much worse along with the speeding and dangerous manuvers

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I use that lane daily on the way home. For me the only option is to take the lane. I don't know how fast you are but I average around 38-45 down there in good weather and that seems to be enough to stop anyone trying overtakes. It's not a fun part of the journey but that's not a fun route in general anyway. Agreed on the manholes too, very dangerous in the dark and wet especially.

Advertisement