Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.com to .ie for better SERP in Ireland?

• 07-11-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been operating an e-commerce site for a few years and struggle to reach or maintain the first couple of pages in Google for my content.

I have been using .com as my primary address since day one, but have .ie, .co.uk and .eu redirecting to the .com.

Roughly about 80% of sales are in Ireland and Ireland is my target market.
    I have "International Targeting" set to Ireland for the .com and .ie domains in WebmastersTools, but I have recently noticed that most of my competition are landing on the first page with .ie domains.

Should I consider setting the .ie as my primary domain and having the rest redirected to it in order to help with SERP?

I fully understand that this will not in any way be a magic bullet regarding SEO and could very well backfire on me, as many other factors come into play regarding ranking. But would very much appreciate any feedback on this topic.

Thanks all.

P.S. Would also appreciate any recommendations for a paid SEO analyst to do a once over of my website.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Bump :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have you done a technical SEO analysis of the current site?
    There could be factors "on page" etc., that are impacting the site's ranking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Ronan_wals

It may have a slight impact but really if you've changed the targeting settings in search console it won't have much of an impact and probably isn't worth the hassle of switching.

I'd be quite happy to give your site a quick review if you want to pm your details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭jmcc

As mentioned above, there may be other factors at work. The .IE is now the standard TLD for Irish websites and it has gotten to a stage where many people automatically assume that an Irish site has a .ie ending. The .COM gTLD has gone legacy (basically the growth has slowed to a level where it is just replacing the deletions) in the Irish market and most of the focus is now on .IE ccTLD. Unless the structure of your webages is TLD agnostic (it doesn't have any hardcoded domain names and CSS is embedded), search engine algorithms may still pick up hints from the URLs and embedded domain names. Best get an SEO head to take a proper look at the site.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement